NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I made a playstand!

Doug

IMG_1362.jpg

I alternated 1/2" and 3/4" PVC for the perches to give her some variation in grip.

I'm not sure it is stable enough (a bit wobbly, but won't fall over or anything like that). Of course I'm a 220 pound (100 kg) man and not a <1 lb bird...

I still plan to put a water dish somewhere but haven't worked that bit out yet...

I will also make a lip on the base to keep the mess (slightly) contained.

Any suggestions or criticisms?

Oh, the base won't tip at all. It is 24" x 24". (On casters so I can move it around easily to clean.) The PVC structure is just not as stiff as it could be (due to the height).

I wrapped the PVC with vet wrap (per some websites about making parrot playstands).

I just found some vet tape that is pink with black zebra stripes that will look interesting once I have a chance to make something else...

For the water dish, you can take off the cap from one of the higher arms. Put on on elbow with a threaded end. Get a 4" pvc cap. Glue a fitting on the bottom that can screw into the elbow. Now you have a water dish that can be removed for washing. I included some pictures to illustrate. I did not build this play stand but I do know the parts are all available at Home Depot because I looked.

wb2.jpg

wb1.jpg

wb3.jpg

For the water dish, you can take off the cap from one of the higher arms. Put on on elbow with a threaded end. Get a 4" pvc cap. Glue a fitting on the bottom that can screw into the elbow. Now you have a water dish that can be removed for washing. I included some pictures to illustrate. I did not build this play stand but I do know the parts are all available at Home Depot because I looked.

I was thinking about doing something like that, but I was concerned about what type of glue to use. Of course, it would take some mighty effort for her to get to the glued location, but...

I was thinking about doing something like that, but I was concerned about what type of glue to use. Of course, it would take some mighty effort for her to get to the glued location, but...

This is something that was posted elsewhere:

"I was told that Gorrilla Glue (I purchased it at Home Depot) was non-toxic once it cured. I used it on a play stand and filed off the excess after it cured, just to make sure. It cures very, very hard in 24 hours, and the glued joint is stronger than the wood. You only need a few drops to glue a dowel in a hole, and theres no way it can be pulled apart. "

If I used that, I would probably have it such that none was exposed once dry. Also, Elmer's school glue is said to be non-toxic.

It is really hard to contain my excitement. I still have almost two weeks to wait, though. <HEAVY sigh>

I hope she has an easy transition.

I know and these last two weeks will be hard for you but it will be here soon, Elegua is going to love her new playstand, be sure to share a pic or two of her on it.

Using more PVC piping, add legs to the bottom and connect to the base. Gives more stability and less shaking especialing since the base has wheels.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/IMG_1362.jpg

Hah! While I was lying in bed last night, unable to sleep, I had decided to do something similar - but I will use different heights on the corner risers for more visual variety.

And there is my opportunity to use the pink/black zebra stripe vet wrap!

But it will have to wait for the weekend since I leave on a business trip in the morning (and hope to go to the SW VA Bird Club meeting tonight. If I can figure out where it is - the website hasn't been updated in many months...)

Okay, I added four risers for additional stability.

I also made a round swing (cutting a slice off of a 6" PVC coupling and wrapping it with jute).

I'm not really sure if the spacing will work for her to go from perch to perch. I'll wait until I get her and see how she plays before I make any more mods. I have the water dish in process...

Now I'm going to cut & dye some wood for a few toys...

IMG_1364.jpg

Gosh that is cool, ya got me wanting to play on it. I was wondering what you were going to do for catching droppings, etc. I give my birds treats all day and they make lots of messes flinging nut shells and other things. I know you will figure it out, you are already on top of all the things anyone could think of while waiting for your little one to arrive.

It looks like the Gorilla Glue is gonna do the trick!

I had to use my Dremel to grind down both pieces where they were glued together as they both had raised print.

I used a 3" cap (which is more in-line with the dishes in the cage). I also used a 3/4" plug. (Note that I replaced the elbow with a T. I just used the plug (slip fit) rather than a threaded fitting since I couldn't find a T with two slip & one threaded.)

IMG_1371.jpg

I'd be happy to do so!

Making it is a lot easier than designing it! (I just kinda winged it, changing things as necessary...)

As a homebrewer, I am used to "repurposing" hardware - it involves a LOT of time at the hardware store staring at parts and trying to figure out how to do stuff the manufacturers never intended when they designed their parts...

It looks like the Gorilla Glue is gonna do the trick!

I had to use my Dremel to grind down both pieces where they were glued together as they both had raised print.

I used a 3" cap (which is more in-line with the dishes in the cage). I also used a 3/4" plug. (Note that I replaced the elbow with a T. I just used the plug (slip fit) rather than a threaded fitting since I couldn't find a T with two slip & one threaded.)

[ATTACH]20890[/ATTACH]

Very nice! Impressive work.