NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

To Cage Or Not to Cage?

InfamousAlice

Hi Everyone!

This is more of a curiosity question.....how many of you "lock" your birds in?

It feels like a silly question asking but I've found over the past few weeks I never lock Bob in his cage and it hasn't been an issue, I wonder how many others do this?

Background here....I live in an apt where it's basically two main rooms. SO Bob has his cage in my bedroom completely adapted to be a jungle gym inside and out and then a lovely homemade PVC stand in his bed room. He always stays on his "post" and plays with his own things....

I've also begun to wonder if I shouldn't do this? Sometimes he doesn't go in his cage to sleep and I worry about him but he seems just as content to sleep on top.

Stories, insight? :):confused:

It would definitely not be an option for me. I have two big dogs. Aside from that I would worry about the fids chewing on electrical wires if they started wandering about. If there were no dangers to get into, I don't see that it's a problem. As long as he has a place he feels safe I don't see why he can't choose his sleeping spot.

My birds will get into anything and every thing when they are out and to have them out and free when I`m am a SLEEP WOW !!!

We live in a log cabin and you know how parrots like wood. I would wake up and there would be no walls.

Their out of cage time is always supervised and they are in and out of their cage all day long and going in and out of their cage is no problem.

My parrots, I have three, are all flighted and out all day long usually. I have perches throughout my home for them and they have toys at each station. They do not chew my woodwork but I watch them constantly. I do cage them at night just in case. What if there is a fire or an emergency need to evaluate. I want to know where they are at all times so I can easily get them into their travel cages and outside. Parrots have a tendency to become quiet and out of sight if they are frightened or afraid. If parrots are scared or confused they will bite and fight. In an emergency I want to be able to find them quickly and safely get them to safety and avoid any confusion that might hamper my goal. Smoke is a very deathly thing to parrots and their delicate lungs.

I luckily don't have any issues with bob chewing wires or things he shouldn't. He generally never leaves his designated play zone. All of the concerns are things I never really thought of because he's usually very good. I don't see our routine changing but it's always stuff to be aware of and I appreciate the cautions.

Eshana, I don't have any visible free wires about in the bedroom where he is free, everything is contained. My stove does have those unusual warm spots but not hot and he never comes into the kitchen without me. Bob is always wonderful about his toys (probably because he has so many) and doesn't bother other things. He has become so accustomed to his two major play areas and sticks to them like glue if he isn't with me.

Still, lots of parrots tend to get spooked, and lets say he gets spooked and you're sound asleep, and he flies into a glass window or a corner and gets hurt.

Sorry, I think my post sounds harsh but I'm not trying to be. I'm just genuinely concerned about these things, because it was something I was considering.

My Zak is always locked wen we go to sleep or somewhere out of the apartment or when we open the windows. We had few earthquakes, nothing serious, but I saw how he freaked so I wanna be sure I'll be able to grab him if there is an emergency and put him in his carrier. There is another reason why we don't let him be unsupervised...he started to be quite a little mischief. He never did, but now he climes gas pipes!!! and chews on doors a lot,...it isn't safe nor for him nor for my apartment for Zak to be out unsupervised. Also, if he didn't like or do something in the past, it doesn't mean he won't find it very interesting tomorrow -so be aware for it applies for any parrot.

'lock cody up at night... he had a cage that he plays in while im at work and a seperate one that he sleeps in. but he could not be left out all day .. i have too many electronics to worry about.. and even when its something i dont think about he manages to find something to get into.. so he is only out when i am home and usually put him in the sleeper around 9.. but from about 530 till then.. we are either out for a drive/ walk or playing in the house..

My fids are locked into their cages at night and when we are not at home, I know too many things are out there that they could get into and get hurt by, thankfully I don't have any escape artists that have figured out how to unlatch their cages but I feel better that they are locked up.