NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Claw Clipping Query ;)

greymondsmom

I'm planning to re-home my gorgeous baby soon :\ and have a bit of a question about trimming his claws. In all the the time I've had him (he's roughly 1.5 years old), I've let them be and dealt with the occasional scratch when the klutz slips off my shoulder or something. I need to clip him now though, and I'm a bit worried.

Here's why: I've been given to understand that if you don't trim claws regularly, the veins /arteries (not sure which blood vessels there would be) grow farther and farther towards the tip. To my thinking this would make clipping him for the first time a bit riskier than for a regularly clipped bird, since there would be a greater chance of a serious bleed- one that even styptic powder couldn't stanch. Thus I'm a little wary of a home clipping expedition!

Do you think I ought to get him clipped at the vet's just this one time? It will cost me over $100 because they require a physical first :( ...but I'd obviously rather cough that up than put him in danger. I don't think a nearby shop would be much better equipped than I to keep him alive if he started bleeding out, so I fear I'll need to resort to a vet trip. Thoughts?

Taking your grey to the vet is an excellent idea as it will serve to be two fold. If you are truly re-homing your grey having a physical by an avian vet will be a nice way to ensure to the new parront that your grey is healthy for which I am sure the new parront will be very appreciative. You will also be assured that the clipping is done correctly.

Your vet will use a dremmel tool to trim your baby's claws, which will gradually blunt the claws and not cause serious bleeding.

One thing to keep in mind is that trimming the claws can affect your bird's ability to perch and climb securely and confidently. I have noticed this especially with the heavy-bodied greys. Just something to keep in mind and perhaps discuss with your vet during your visit.

I have never had to clip Misty's talons in the 7 years that he has lived with me. It is vital to give a Grey a wide variety of climbing perches preferably out of the cage. Many birds are kept in cages for a good part of the day and cage bars are totally useless for keeping claws trimmed. Likewise many of the perches in cages are static perches and provide little exercise for a parrots foot. If you think your little chap needs a trim then unless you are expert save your bird and your self from risking grief and have it done by a competent avian vet. I have just read your other post on you having to re home your Grey. I am surprised you have noise problems as generally Greys are regarded as the quietest of the medium sized birds. Try living with a Galah! You must be very sad to have to give him up. I am sure you will find him a good forever home.

Steve n Misty

Edited by Mistyparrot

Josey's talons are pointed but not too sharp as she wears them down some on the rough perches I have in her cage, they need these to keep them in check and her talons have not been dremeled down now for quite a while. It is necessary for them to be fairly sharp to help in climbing and playing and you don't want them too rounded on the tips or they can lose their grip and fall.

Misty, I have found him what I believe will prove a really good home and for that I am very very grateful. That is obviously ten times more important than the rest. I'm most worried about how he might feel: abandoned, lonely, scared... or worse :( He isn't noisy in terms of outright screaming, but when he gets in a "chatty" mood, he loses all interest in playing or anything else (so I can't distract him) and just talks loudly enough that my neighbors aren't pleased, and for a decent stretch of time.

I have left his claws long for as long as I've had him because I thought he would prefer that (he does have rough perches... and perches of every other variety, spoiled prince/princess! lol They don't seem to have any effect, however.), but his new owner would prefer he be trimmed. He was trimmed when we got him, and didn't seem to have any balance/grip issues. He's a lean little guy, so hopefully he won't start falling :(

Yes, I've had my little birds trimmed with that tool before at the vet's because I held a light up to their claws and saw the blood vessels extended very far, and I therefore thought that necessary. They had teeny stiletto knives on their feet effectively! In general, though, to be honestI hate trimming anything... except maybe horse's hooves :) Poor things start tripping and everything.

That's great news Greymondsmom. Is his new human an experienced Grey person? And is there any chance you will be able to keep in touch with him? My understanding is that in the wild Greys (COG) stay with mom n pop until around two years old and then are ready to go out in the world. So your little fellow is at a good age to move on. Perhaps you could extend an invitation to his new keeper to join this group ? It's good of you to take such care. I hope you find yourself in better circumstances soon and be able to offer a home to a deserving bird.

Steve n Misty

That's great news Greymondsmom. Is his new human an experienced Grey person? And is there any chance you will be able to keep in touch with him? My understanding is that in the wild Greys (COG) stay with mom n pop until around two years old and then are ready to go out in the world. So your little fellow is at a good age to move on. Perhaps you could extend an invitation to his new keeper to join this group ? It's good of you to take such care. I hope you find yourself in better circumstances soon and be able to offer a home to a deserving bird.

Steve n Misty

In my personal opinion based on actual facts, it's a very bad idea to set up a visiting program with a bird that's been previously owned by someone. That causes confusion and the bird's focus should be strictly aimed at the new owners. When a relartionship is severed, it should stay severed.

The only time that something actually happens like that is when a bird is taken from a shelter/adoption/rescue area. The usual rules set up by the organization is that they are allowed to visit the bird once or twice in a year to make sure that the bird is being taken care of properly. One or two visits are all that's necessary. AND, the organization has no personal ties to the bird.