NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Choosing a Breeder

Everyday Miracles

I hope I'm putting this in the right place. I wasn't sure if it didn't belong in the nursery.

I'm excited. I finally got my husband's "okay" to start doing research to obtain an African Grey Parrot (I want a Congo). This is a big deal for me considering that I do research from anywhere between six months and ten years before obtaining a pet that is otherwise unfamiliar to me. It took me a year to decide I wanted a Rottweiler dog, even though we were specifically looking for a large guarding breed (if we were looking for something small, a Chihuahua might have done nicely), and after that there was all the research into what the breed standard was and what to expect when we brought her home. So although this will be my first bird, I'm not in a huge hurry. Just takin' my time here :)

It was hard to decide what the first question should be to ask, and I worry that in asking about breeders, I'm going to get warned not to rush into something; I'm not. The reason I'm asking is because I like to develop a relationship with the person who is breeding my animal so that I have the opportunity to not only know more about the species with his or her help, but to get to know what their policies are and about their animals and line in particular. This is so important to me with intelligent animals (i.e. I didn't do that much "getting to know you" with my herps, which I picked up at a show).

Although I don't really like this method, I did a quick web search for breeders in my state last night, and the results were too confusing and those that were actual "hits" were pet search engines (rather like pet finder but for breeders rather than rescues). I have no idea where to start!

There is a bird store on the other side of town and I am sure that I could ask there, but pet stores seem to thrive on impulse buying. I took my sister to the pet store where we buy our dog food and she wanted to come home with a puppy mill beagle (I wouldn't support the store except that it's the only place that sells Taste of the Wild). I've seen it time and again, and I want to be able to look and observe without pressure. In short, I want a breeder, or even better, a breeder-mentor.

How would I go about finding somebody who is responsible and reliable in my area? I'm looking to build a relationship, not just buy a bird.

I spent a lot of time at birdbreeders.com before deciding on a breeder. I was fortunate to find someone 20 miles from my house. She is recommended by avian veterinarians. I am able to go visit my baby as much as I want. I go once a week and enjoy the visit with the breeder as much as the visit with the bird.

That's probably the very best scenario. But there are very few breeders in this area. Most people have to fly the bird in from someone who they'll never see & are forced to trust.

There are 2 extremely excellent bird (not pet) stores, though. Both have been around for a long time & have earned a great reputation. One in particular is clean enough to eat off the floors. People have to wash their hands on the way into the bird room & the ladies are almost fierce about it.

Both places have also dealt w/most of the same breeders for 20+ years. So if I couldn't actually go to a breeder like Barbara, I'd trust them as my second choice.

But I wouldn't be me if I didn't put my plug in here for you to consider rehoming a rescue bird. :) Recently, one of our members said he was starting his bird education by volunteering at a bird rescue. That seems like a wonderful idea for so many reasons. Thought that might be another option for you, as well.

I hadn't even thought of the volunteering angle. It would be a good option, and my heart isn't absolutely set on having a baby in the house. It's definitely something to consider, though I'll have to do the same search for a bird rescue. Our mammal rescues around here aren't even particularly ideal, to be honest with you. If I was wanting to rescue a cat, for example, I'd wait until we were visiting my parents in Ohio to do the rescue.

Shipping isn't something I'm fond of. Our gliders were shipped from Florida (to Indiana) in November and the airline left them on the belt for nearly an hour because they were crabbing or some other issue. We watched while dogs were sent up to our owners, but no gliders. It was traumatic for us and for them and the dangers of doing that were immense. Continental is also one of the best companies to ship live animals, and it still wound up being a problem. So I won't be shipping. Worst case scenario, I travel to pick a bird up. I know I can trust me to get it home safely.