NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Paper on the bottom of the cage?

LAURIT

I heard of some people putting paper on top of the floor of the cage. Also they would put paper underneath the cage bottom. Who does this? I'm sure it's much easier to keep the cage clean, but I'm also sure there are too many birds who would make a mess with the newspaper on the bottom. I like the idea of just changing the top paper when dirty and cleaning the cage once a week.

My bird's cages have a grate in the bottom of the cage above the tray and I put newspaper on the tray, they cannot reach the newspaper to tear it up and I can easily change out the paper as it gets dirty. My cages also have the seed guards on the sides but we all know they can fling stuff further than they stick out so I have vinyl carpet runner underneath my grey's cage as she is the one who needs it most, I can just wipe it up or easily remove it to clean it.

[b ]My bird's cages have a grate in the bottom of the cage above the tray and I put newspaper on the tray, they cannot reach the newspaper to tear it up and I can easily change out the paper as it gets dirty. [/b]

That's a good thing to check when you're looking for a new cage because it can be one of many design flaws. The tray should be deep enough to be out of reach of the size bird it's meant to hold. Not all birds bother with the stuff on the bottom. But it can be a real pain & unhealthy for the birds to be able to get into their droppings & spoiled food.

Before I got my birds I knew I would let them fly so I replaced all my carpets with laminated wood or tile. Best thing I ever did. This works for me because I live alone. My two older birds never go to the bottom of their cages and so the only cage that has its original wire grate is the youngest, who is only 5 months old. Hopefully soon he will also stop going to the floor of the cage (fingers crossed). None of them scatters food or tosses it around their cages so I am very lucky in that regard so I have removed the seed guards and only put newspaper around the cages weighted with small rocks (paper moves when the birds fly) I pick these up when the birds are in for the night or if company is coming. I seldom have my birds out if people are around other than family. I also use weighted newspaper around the ceiling perches I have throughout the house for the birdies. And yes my home is more a roost than a house for my babies.

News paper is great to line the bottom of your parrot cage.

What I do is go through the paper and try to find a picture of a polititcian that I dislike and place the picture face up under the spot ware my birds perch and let them take aim.

That`s the fun part of linning the cage

If the news paper gose out of business I will be up the creek as far as cage linners.

News paper is great to line the bottom of your parrot cage.

What I do is go through the paper and try to find a picture of a polititcian that I dislike and place the picture face up under the spot ware my birds perch and let them take aim.

That`s the fun part of linning the cage

If the news paper gose out of business I will be up the creek as far as cage linners.

Hey Ray, thumbs way up.! Great answer.! Way to go!