NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Age question....

RIDE

So I am in the process of rescuing a parrot from Mickaboo....my wife and I are very excited. We thought that this would be a wonderful way to finally get the parrot we've wanted to for so long, and to help out a great organization as well.

My first choice is of course an African Grey....and once I get through the interview process, I will be able to look at birds. From what I hear...there are 3 or 4 Greys to choose from at this moment.

I guess my question is, and it may sound weird, but at what age would you consider a bird too old? Considering it's our first parrot...we want a bird that we can work with, grow old with :) , and have for many, many years to come. We did think about getting one from a breeder...and starting fresh so to speak...but we really want to give Mickaboo a try.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

RIDE

I guess my question is, and it may sound weird, but at what age would you consider a bird too old?

RIDE

They are never too old for addition. Mickaboo is a great organization. The thing to do, once you have your classes finished, is visit the foster homes and talk them about the greys personality, traits, likes and dislikes. They of course will be sizing you up as well and you will be able to interact with the gray and see if it is a hit or miss. All rescues come with baggage from previous homes and you won't see some of it until months after having them.

Thanks for considering adoption! :)

Dan is right, it doesn't matter what age the bird in need of a new home is, it would be a wonderful thing to give a new forever home to a grey in need and you have done your homework so here is hoping you get what you have wanted for so long and many thanks for considering rehoming.

Thanks folks! That has been my thought as well....but I figured I'd ask anyway. :)

I have taken my class, and now await the phone interview....and then the process should move right along and I will be able to look at birds.

Can't wait to get our new Grey into our family!

RIDE

First off, THANK YOU for even considering adopting an older bird. There are so so so many loving birds that need good homes in this world. What Dan said is true, there is baggage that comes with them, and you may be struggling with these issues for awhile. I adopted a 12 y/o Timneh who hated hands and a 9 y/o Congo who was always very cage territorial aggressive... but to tell you the truth, the victories of getting over such hurdles has made me a more patient person. I have changed my animal training philosophy and they are learning.... but I think the most important thing is, they are teaching me.

Good Luck!!