NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question who have expirience trevel with air plane

Jana

I am new at the forum have a question we are moving back to Europe from Canada and have our 3 year old lady Lilu with us who have expience with airlines in the cabin and maybe in the cargo .I think its better in the cabin but its a long trip so who have expirience and our last think is cargo but we are little ceared about this in the cargo when she is 10 hours allone there with out us .

thanks Jana

I am sure you have checked into whether it is even possible to take your grey with you when you move or all this will be moot but you will have to check with the particular airline you will be using to see what their policies are regarding birds on planes, it will be best if you can take her in the cabin versus the cargo area for there can be temperature extremes that could be fatal for your grey.

i can not answer your question about airlines and their pet policy but i do need to ask where in Europe are you moving to? have you checked for that countries quarantine laws?

If you have not done so i would highly suggest you contact the below dept to get a CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) export permit. You should do this immediately because the paperwork can take MONTHS to process through the government. from what i understand the export permit will be based upon the law of the country you are going to. import bird laws are very strict and you should start this process as soon as you can.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/cites/default.asp?lang=En&n=7E56589B-1

Address:

Environment CanadaInquiry Centre

10 Wellington, 23rd Floor

Gatineau QC

K1A 0H3

Telephone: 819-997-2800

Toll Free: 1-800-668-6767 (in Canada only)

Facsimile: 819-994-1412

Teletypewriter: 819-994-0736

Email:

enviroinfo@ec.gc.ca

also from what i have been reading passenger airlines will not transport birds internationally, because of this there are third party companies that this is all they do. here is an example.

http://www.airanimal.com/international-pet-move.php

Edited by carlsjr

Hi Jana,

I have flown with Kookie before and after considering the options, its better if your grey flies with you in the plane, it means less time away from you. Basically most airlines will not allow you to take him along in the cabin, but they would allow you to take him as excess baggage. This means they weigh him in his travel cage at the checkin counter in the airport and you have to pay for it as excess baggage. This is mainly cheaper than flying him as cargo. He goes on the plane into a special room in the plane. It should be a pressurized compartment, where normally pets fly. You have to check with the airlines in advance to be sure the flight can accommodate pets. Also you have make sure he has enough food and water for the flight. The travel cage is better a plastic pet carrier, so that he cannot see through except from one side. This will make sure he is not scared if other animals are travelling along with him on the same flight. Check with the airlines about the carry box standards, they would give you the dimensions and specifications. Also make sure to have all the travel documents ready so that you will not face any delays at the airport upon arrival.

Normally for greys to travel, you need to get 2 cities permits, one is the export permit from your country of departure and the second is a cities import permit in the destination country.

they might also require bird flew test and a vet health certificate. You have to inquire about those.

Have a safe trip :D

Thanks all for all the tips !

We have a Airline who my husband can take the Grey with his in the cabin and the other company just only in the special pet cargo its special for pets with the temp and the air !

We travel to Germany and they say our parrot is not coming in quarantine because she have a pet passport ,Export and Import and a health certificate what its not older then 10 days

Lilu is the parrot from my husband so he must travel with her but I think in the cabin its better so he is always with her . We want to buy a travel box what fist in the cabin and its air plane certificate

Thanks all for the help

Jana