NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Amazon & COPD

sharon L

I have the chance of getting a yellow fronted female amazon. My mother has COPD but i was thinking of getting an air purifier and the bird will be in a seperate room to my mother and i will be taking care of the bird. I was wondering if anyone on here has COPD and also has an amazon? I have heard they are not as dusty as cockatoos & african greys and help or advice much appreciated!!

Thanks Sharon x

Hi Sharon and welcome to The grey forum.

I do not have COPD, but I do have a Congo African Grey and a Blue Fronted Amazon and yes the amazon does not have the dander that a grey has.

IMO the zon would be better than the grey, but I don`t know how much better. Some one else will chime in with better info.

Thanks for reply Ray. I have always wanted a parrot and originally i did consider a grey but now i have the chance of the amazon i have read they are less dusty so better for people with allergies. I am really hoping if i take her in and give her regular baths keep the cage really clean and with air purifier that my mom will be ok. Hoping that if the amazon is kept in a seperate room that will help to! If there is any one out there with COPD and has an amazon please let me know. Or if you know of someone with COPD who keeps one. Replies & info much appreciated!

I have 2 greys and an amazon. They are less dusty, but still produce a lot of bird dander even if you bathe them frequently which they love. There will be dander on their feathers which they do lose when molting and anytime they fall out. I would hate to see you adopt a bird only to have to give it up later because of your mom's health...:(

I have a grey, and my husband has allergies. I have air filters throughout the house and I try to bath him and clean often. But you might find it hard to contain your bird in one room. That is my problem, I have an area in almost every room for my grey and it makes my hubby mad :)