NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Too big?

Verivus

So I'm considering getting a stainless steel cage for my future CAG and I was wondering if a 48"x36" would be big enough or even too big? I see recommended cage sizes of 36"x24" for greys and then I see recommendations of "as big as you can afford" so curious on what experienced owners think. I do work 35-40 hours a week so he would be in the cage while I'm gone.

• 3 weeks later...
Get it, the bigger the better. YOu can't have a cage that is too big, once you fill it with various perches, toys, etc, The cage magically shrinks...:)

GO BIG! I think the keyword Talon used is FILL IT! So many people get the big cheap-o cage and the bird and pat themselves on the back after putting 3 lame toys a couple hard wood perches in. Get the big cage and deck it out as best you can. A bird feels secure when in a well populated cage. It's just like in the wild when they hang out and roost among branches and foliage. That natural cover provides protection. If you buy the huge cage and leave it almost empty they will feel like they're too exposed. I like to populate a cage with lots of toys up high and have less as you move down so there is both room to move and areas to hide, forage, and chew in. Go big in many ways. Cage, toys, etc.

• 5 months later...

If it is a baby, make sure that you have your perches down low at first.

Also, remember "what goes up, sometimes comes down". Greys like to climb & hang upside down while they play or forage. They are often clumsy.

I can't tell you how many times my girl has fallen.

So, while it s great to get a big cage & fill it with toys, they can (& will) fall.

Bigger is always better but you do have to watch for the bar spacing for some of those huge cages are meant for macaws that have larger heads, you certainly don't want to get one that your baby will get his/her head thru and get stuck, that would be awful for them and you.

• 1 month later...

I recently inherited an ill friends 11 year old Grey. He seems to be making the transition to life here relatively well. He comes to me with the cage he has lived with his whole life which though quite beautiful seems smaller than what I am reading about as a preferred size. It's internal measurements are 27 I/2"Wx18"Dx36"H. The cage is a designer style furniture grade wooden frame with inset metal cage. It's very handsome yet seems undersized for the bird. Yet, Harley has spent his life with this as his home and seems relatively happy with it. He maneuvers his way around it ok and is content to stay in the cage despite many opportunites each day to leave it which leads to separate question of mine being how much should I encourage him to leave his cage?

I know he is still adjusting to the move and the cage likely represents familiarity and security which I don't want to deprive him of. But I also don't want to see him live a less than fully happy life either.

I guess I'm trying to sort out his needs from my own and feedback would be welcomed.

Thanks.