NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What brand of food do you feed your grey???

LAURIT

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum and the "Grey World." I've always wanted an African Grey and finally purchased a 3 month TAG. I've been feeding her the same mix food that was given from the breeder, that is just mixed food(no name). But once she is done with that food I would like to switch her to the best food I can give her. I don't mind paying more for a better food. I just want give my Grey the best. What do you think of the following? Do any of you use these brands or know a better one?

ZuPreem AvianMaintenance FruitBlend Premium Bird Diet for Medium & Large Birds

Kaytee Fiesta MAX Bird Food for Parrots

Healthy Select Natural Parrot Diet

Cody gets Roudybush pellets medium sized and Zupreme but not the fruity ones he is currently eating the new kind that smells like peanut butter and the new Zupreme Veggie Blend only problem with theese new kinds are they are big pellets so I put them in food processer for a minute or 2 and chop them up a little smaller , Cody will not eat big peices of food mr picky lol but he will eat the medium sized Roudybush with no problem and he also will climb in Opeys cage and eat the small sized Roudybush pellets that Opey eats

Simon eats Harrison's Coarse Lifetime organic pellets. Kazoo eats Tropicana pellets, which smell yummy (I tried one - they smell better than they taste). And Oboe eats Roudybush pellets. They all eat homemade mash and homemade birdie bread, fresh veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, etc.

I honestly think the best diet is home made food which is my fids' staple diet. This is a thread to check out if you think you might like to go that way. But there are a lot of other posts as well.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190007-Tinkerbell-Mash-Best-food-by-far-for-your-Grey

But pellets are just really handy sometimes, like in hot weather & hurricanes. So I've never taken my guys totally off them.

I like Totally Organics TOP Organic Bird Pellets because of what is & isn't in them. http://www.totallyorganics.com/

I don't get my TAG for another two weeks. The breeder is currently feeding her African Grey Special (Pretty Bird Pellets) with extra calcium. Any thoughts on this food?

One site lists the ingredients as follows (although this is not the type with extra calcium, for which I cannot find a listing). Any concerns?

INGREDIENTS: Corn, Oats, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat, Potato Protein, Soya Oil, Coconut Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, L-Lysine, Choline Chloride, Natural and Artificial Flavors, DL Methionine, Isoleucine, L-Threonine, L-Tryptophan, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Ferrous Sulfate, D-Biotin, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Niacinamide, Magnesium Oxide,Vitamin B12 Supplement, BHT ( as a preservative), Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Natural and Artificial Colors, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K3), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Cobalt Sulfate.

I plan to make some cooked beans & veggies (portioned and frozen) and feed that in the morning and give her pellets in the evening. (I have to make a simple routine for feeding as my wife and son will have to handle it when I am away on business.)

Edited by Doug

• 3 weeks later...

We've just converted CAG Capo to Harrisons High potency coarse. It took 3 days to full adaptation from old pellets Nutribird to Harrisons. Droppings are just like in the books- ideal. I hope that I'll see progress in his feathers coz we had a problems with plucking. He stoped with that, but feathers on cheast and under the wings are in lousy condition.

P.S. Harrisons taste very good and natural. I've tried them before I give them to Capo

Doug,

"and give her pellets in the evening."... I would recommend leaving the pellets in the cage 24x7.

I also use Harrisons High Potency Coarse. Homemade "chop" (frozen), Goldenfeast Bean Supreme and fresh sprouts make up the bulk of my guys diet.

Brett

I would recommend leaving the pellets in the cage 24x7.

That's what I am currently doing, since Elegua is so reluctant to eat much of the bean/rice/veggie/nut chop. (I'm sure we'll get there...)

One of the books that I read (and I'm on the road now so I can't pull up the exact wording) said to only feed pellets in the afternoon for a few hours. (I didn't mean to write "evening"...) I guess to leverage the bird into eating more fresh & "chop".

Obviously, there are a lot of strong opinions in how to care for our feathered buddies!

Organic Harrison's. That way I know there are no artificial colors, flavors, hydrogenated vegetable oils, and more importantly, no genetically modified ingredients. Any food that contains corn or soy, almost certainly contains GMOs. No way do I want to put that stuff in my, or my bird's systems.

Of course the majority of their diet is organic fresh vegetables, fruits, beans, legumes, nuts, and whole grains, with supplemental small portions of organic meat, cheese and eggs, and a weekly cooked chicken drumstick bone. Pellets are available but rarely eaten, I guess fresh food just tastes better. I also supplement with chia seed, and red palm oil.

I give our boys TOPS Organic Pellets and all of them, from Marcus down to little Bunsen the cockatiel, just love them. I'll give them large portions at night prior to bed which they'll nibble on and then eat throughout the length of the next day. This is supplemented during the daytime with greens (they particularly like collards), nuts, other fruits and veggies, and whatever grains/beans and homemade birdie cookies I've made and have on hand. They also get hard-boiled egg and chicken periodically. I don't leave the fresh food out overnight in their cages, though.

What is the benefit of red palm oil versus other oils (say coconut oil)?

Is there some tested benefit or just conjecture based on analysis of the components?

(I ask this question because a lot of the hundreds of compounds found in most natural products are not well understood by scientists - and they are only studying the impact on humans (and test animals). It is very hard to extrapolate supposed benefits to our feathered friends. I am extremely skeptical of claims of "health benefits"...)