NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What can I do for my little one if I can't keep him? :'(

greymondsmom

I'm nearly in tears trying to write this.

My boyfriend and I have had to move to an apartment, for financial reasons. The apartment doesn't allow pets, and none of the ones that allowed them in our general area were also in our price range :\ You can probably see where this is headed. The noise from our boy has led to multiple complaints now, and we're on the verge of our landlord's taking action.

We're frightened of just advertising somewhere randomly to sell him, not only because that would be devastating, but because we don't want him in the hands of someone inexperienced or who might just pass him on to someone who might in turn do the same, etc.. Fosterparrots is beyond (once again) our financial restrictions. I have no idea what to do. Every option we've explored hasn't proven feasible.

My boyfriend might move to the opposite coast for a while come next summer; I'll have to move somewhere even smaller until one of us joins the other, and will be even more stuck!

Please don't chastise me for not having thought things out thoroughly before acquiring our Grey. We did. What we didn't count on was my becoming disabled and my boyfriend's having to change jobs.

I'm posting this with my fingers crossed that someone who was in a similar situation can suggest something we haven't thought of yet :(

Sorry to hear about your situation.

As horrible as it seems, it DOES happen. Many times, the landlord will be willing to work with you if you pay an extra amount of money per month or a pet deposit.

If your landlord is just set on NO pets, the only thing you can do is find him the best possible home. Ask for vet references, sign a contract, and don't allow someone without large bird experience. If it were me, I would only accept someone who currently has a grey (or amazon or larger), that would allow you to visit the home, and sign a contract stating that the bird would be returned to you in the event that it didn't work out.

Perhaps you can post in the classifieds section of this forum for your grey? Many of us are looking for another grey or know someone who may be :)

Good luck. I know it's heartbreaking, but take your time picking out the best possible people for your grey :)

Is it possible for someone you know (friend, relative?) to take him temporarily, until you and your boyfriend can work out the job and housing situation? Lots of people would love to live with a parrot but can't because they can't afford to buy one (along with all the start-up costs) or because they're not ready to make such a long-term commitment. Some of those people might make perfect foster parents. And you'd have the peace of mind of trusting whoever had him, and being able to get him back when the time is right. (On the other hand...if he and the friend/relative became bonded, you might not want to split them up later.)

I wish you all the best. I know it's hard. And I also know how a disability can completely change your circumstances.

try your vet, or even vets you don't utilize and search for rescue agencies in your area. look for bird clubs in your area as well, they may have connections/answers for you. we got our grey through our avian vet. i had mentioned i'd always wanted a grey and would love to rehome a grey and sure enough, now we have kallie.

Thank you so much! I hadn't thought of many of these things. I will try to find someone to foster him (good idea!) and post in the section here too, for sure. Will also investigate the other options.

Thank you. I still feel as distraught about the idea of not having him with us any more (I think not hearing him say "Ouch." every five minute will hurt the most; I went through a period after my accident of poor balance and spatial awareness, where I kept bumping into things, usually with him on my shoulder, and yelping "Ouch!" - so the clever creature started mocking me :P ) ...but having new "leads" on ways to find him a good home makes me feel better.

The thing that really breaks my heart is thinking of how horrid he will feel when we walk away and leave him there :\

you're welcome. i'm sure with the stress of all this you are on mental overload and can't see the forest for the trees so to speak. we're still in touch with the familty we got kallie from. her owner passed away and the daughters weren't in a position to keep the birds this woman had. we were very fortunate that kallie was so loved and cared for. it was hard for the family to give the birds up, it was a process for them and was emotional. what you're feeling is perfectly normal and understandable. anyone having to give up a much loved family member that happens to be furred or feathered goes through this. i've had to give up dogs in the past for changing circumstances in my life and i was devastated both times. life happens unfortunately. you'll find someone wonderful for him i just know it!

I think fostering is an EXCELLENT idea! That way, you can visit often :)

Visiting him after he is rehomed is not a good idea for he will think every time his former owners come they are taking him home with him, if you feel like you have to find him a new home then let it be a forever home, just think how he will feel seeing his previous owners from time to time, it could be devastating for him and create much stress.

My Amazon, Kazoo, was given up by her original family after 13 years. They had three conditions under which they would sell her to me (or to anyone else). The first was that they had to see me with the bird, to determine whether we seemed to like each other. The second was that if I ever decided to give her up, for whatever reason, I would call them first. And the third was that I provide regular updates on how she was doing.

It's been nine months now, and I think it's working out really well for all of us.

I provide them with monthly emailed status reports on how she's doing, along with videos and photos from time to time. They feel much better knowing she's in good hands and is well loved, and seeing videos of her feeling obviously happy and at home here. They asked if they could come visit her sometime, and I said yes. They still haven't come by though - they say they want to see her, but they don't want to confuse her by reminding her of her past.

I'm grateful to her original family for giving her such a good start in life. And they're grateful to me for taking such good care of her. Kazoo is happy here, and I love her very, very much. She's an absolute sweetheart.

If you do decide to sell your guy, rather than fostering him, I would highly recommend asking potential buyers if they would agree to these same conditions.