NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Worst injuries...

BMustee

OK, yesterday I was watching TV in bed with my Grey and the both of us fell asleep...me on my side and the grey on my head. I'm not sure what happened...if I moved or the grey did...but somehow he fell off my head, slid down my face and was grabbing for anything that he could get his foot around to catch himself. Well guess what he grabbed? My top eyelid of my right eye. I'm not sure how I managed it but I was able to roll with him as he latched on and had him on his back with my face over him. It was a good 30-40 seconds before I was able to calm him and remove his toe from inside my eye without more damage. I'm pretty sure there isn't much more than a scrach on the inside of my eyelid and it should be better in a few days but I am worried about infection so I asked a girl working at the eye doctors inside the WalMart what I should be watching out for. Needless to say I got the "what the ____" look from everyone that could hear me and the girl I was asking was a bit speechless and had to have me repeat exactly what got in my eye. This got my thinking...has anyone else had one of these horrible Murphy's Law injuries by their birds?

{Feel-bad-00020080}

I know that had to hurt, but no I have never had anything like that happen to me, but I have been scratched by her claws on my face, neck, arms and shoulders. I am always alert for the claw or beak in the eye, but so far I have been lucky.

You might put in a call to an ophthalmologist and see if you need to be concerned, I think I would if I were you.

Guest briansmum

ouch! no nothing like that, i've had the odd accidental scratch but he's more curious about my face and i usually get a tongue on the nose but thats it. i would deffinately see a really good eye doctor, maybe you need some drops or something. don't fall asleep next time ;)

Oh My God Bmustee,

You are VERY lucking worse did not happen to your eye or Grey.

I know you don't feel lucky though and I hope you can recover from this without receiving an infection of the Eye on top of it.

My Wife Dayosmom has a nice claw score on her Face from Dayo jumping off the top of the couch, miss judging his landing spot and then clawing his way up her face. :ohmy:

Nothing as severe as your eye injury though.

I hope you recuperate quickly. :-)

Ouch! Sorry to hear about this. Sounds like you will recover w/o too much residual trouble. It is sooo tempting, but it is not recommended to sleep with your birds...even more than them hurting you, there are many sad stories of people falling asleep, rolling over onto their birds and killing them unintentionally...we are so much bigger than them...:ohmy: Be careful in any event and get better soon.<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2007/09/11 05:15

I feel so bad about falling asleep with the bird out because of the "rollover" deaths that can and do happen and I'm glad it was me that got the injury and not him. The only other time I have been asleep with him in the bed was when he figured out how to unlatch the cage and he flew over onto my headboard. Needless to say thats when the lock was put on his door. I know I'll never watch a boring PBS show with him out again after a bad night of sleep.

Believe it or not after the claw was removed it really wasn't that painful...no ice required. It felt more like I had something big in my eye for a few hours. I flushed it with cold water while holding the lid away from the eye to be sure there wasn't anything still under there. The girl at the eye doctor didn't think it looked infected because it's not red or anything...I can just feel the scratch on the lid.