NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New here

IamStrube

I am thinking about getting a Gray. He is a timneh (spelling?) and 11 years old. The man I am going to purchase from has had him for 4 years. Bought him when he was 7. When he first bought him, he talked a lot. Now he says that he only says hello, barks, meows and whistles. Obviously this bird has not been treated fairly in the past 4 years and I am wondering if there will be a chance to bring him back to his former glory, i.e. talking more.

That's hard to say. It is entirely up to the bird. I think the first thing you would want to do is get a check up with an avian vet for him to make sure he is well and doesn't have any deficiencies. If your primary reason for getting him is to have a talking bird you could be disappointed. Or you could be wonderfully surprised! If your primary reason for getting him is to provide him with a loving and happy home and raise a happy bird, you are sure to be rewarded.

Congrats on giving this grey a new forever home but a grey is an awesome creature even if they never utter a word as there is so much more to them than just the ability to talk, that is just the icing on the cake so to speak. Who knows why the bird doesn't talk as much now, it could be he is not as happy as he once was and going to a new home where he gets more attention and the things he needs he may open up more but don't get him because you think he might.