NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New baby - First Week

jwmachon

Hi Guys and Gals,

Tommy is a African Congo Parrot, 12 weeks old, When i first visited him on sunday the breeder opened the cage and Tommy immediatly went to him, He was also on my hand for a couple of minutes and let me stroke him for a pit but then flew off (is this a good start)??

Is there anywhere on the site that like does the first week of having your parrot e.g Leave them alone for first few days or let them out straight away, When to start training what i should start training firsy?

And something I also wonder is How do you get them back in cage once there out with no training so im not freaked out if i cant get him back in first time letting him out.

I have done alot of research but struggling with a few things.

Thanks,

Jonny

What's going on at the breeder's house has nothing to do with how the bird reacts in a new home. The bird doesn't know you but knows the breeder. These are basic rules that apply to baby birds coming to a new home

1------It is important to be patient, gentle and considerate of your new parrot. He doesn't know you. He is in a strange place with strangers. He will undergo a brief grieving period. He has lost all that was familiar and loved - the other babies he played with and his beloved and trusted caregiver.

2-------He may be cautious. He may be watchful. He will want to learn the lay of the land. He will need to adjust to other birds (if any) and other companion animals you may have. Because of careful early management by your thoughtfully chosen breeder, he will be inclined toward acceptance, but don't assume it. A bird is not a domesticated companion animal and his trust and love must be earned by all who wish to have a satisfactory relationship with him.

3-------The adjustment period should last about three weeks. Be patient. Don't rush him. He doesn't know how loved he is and how anxiously awaited he was. Hold down the excitement. Be calm. Allow him time. Let him explore the cage and become familiar with it. The toys will be new and exciting and he will want to check them out.

4------Remember he is just a baby and will need more sleep and more food than an adult bird. If you have a sleep cage, use it so he will have undisturbed sleep. Give him all the food he will eat. He will not get fat. He has weight to put back on after weaning. He should have food available at all times. Weigh him periodically for at least the first 6 months. Record the weight. Learn what is normal for your parrot - there will be small weight changes over time. Small losses - a downward trend for three days will call for a trip to the avian vet. He should be seen by the vet immediately, if there is a large loss on any one day.

5------Don't invite the family or neighbors over to see him just yet. Let him come to know you. Be careful to avoid accidents - take your time. Try not to let any "bad" things happen. Once he knows and trusts you, he will be able to accept an accident as just that. Hold him securely. Don't let him fall or be off balance when on your hand or knee. No earthquakes! Don't push him into accepting intimate petting until he is ready.

6------A parrot should be acclimated into the whole family. Allow the least amount of opportunities that will let any parrot become a one-person bird. The whole family has to be involved with the bird in all areas--feeding, treat giving, cage cleaning, adding toys and handfeeding certain types of food.

7------Your parrot should be in an area where your average daily constant habits, conversations, household chores, relaxation and guests are nearby. Putting any species of parrot in another room with no human contact or visuals accomplishes nothing. The bird has to learn to accept all different things and the owner needs to help that parrot do all of these things by putting the bird into the mix of things.

8-------Your parrot needs a decent sized cage and eventually he/she will have to be let out of the cage every day for as much time as you can afford. Putting a playstand nearby helps alot. The cage needs the type of toys that can handled roughly. A lot of scrap pieces of wood are necessary for chewing and destroying. It's either the wood or your furniture. The reason for this is really simple......The animal is a parrot!!!!

9------When you bring your parrot home, although the temptation is great, it's not a good idea to be handling him a lot until he/she feels good about that new cage and it's contents. Everything else ahead of the bird is also going to be new and learning about them in a relaxed state is best accomplished from the security of it's own cage and no time limits should be placed on any parrot when anything should be accomplished. All parrots are different from each other.

10-----It's a bad idea to allow your parrot on your shoulders because they have a bad habit of biting necks, ear lobes, nape and head hair, breaking jewelry and sometimes biting the face. Not all do but it's a habit that should be avoided. You never can tell what's going to happen to you when you can't see the bird up there. Many people differ about the shoulder thing. I'd rather say that it's better to be safe than sorry.

Edited by Dave007

Hi Jonny, congratulations on your new baby grey. Both of my greys, a TAG and CAG I got when they were about 4 months old. Ana Grey (TAG) is 3 and Sterling Gris (CAG) is 5 1/2 months old. Both of them are cuddlers, their breeders handled them a lot and spent a lot of time acclimating them to people. At the time I got each grey, I asked the breeder what schedule they used with the baby and told them about myself so that everyone knew what the new atmosphere would be like and the schedule the young grey was accustomed to using. Each grey is different and as a new parront, you need to understand what your new friend is use to doing and what personal traits your baby has. So many new parronts are so excited when their baby comes home that they "overdo it" so you need to relax, read your new baby's wants and needs and let he get use to his new home and parront. Young greys are so trusting and want to be part of the "flock/family" so it is important not to break their trust.

Congrats Jonny on your new addition of Tommy and now the real work begins. Dave is right on with his advice, your grey needs time to learn to accept you as his owner, it takes time to build trust so be very patient with him as he adjusts to a new environment. He may be more accepting of handling when he is young but a lot of them tend to get away from cuddling as they mature so you have to respect his wishes.

Do not feed him anything outside of his cage so when it is time for him to go back inside put a treat inside and let him see you put it there and he may go inside to investigate as they are curious creatures then you can shut the door, bribery works wonders.

Now all we need is some pictures of Tommy and I bet he is adorable.