NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

regaining feathers

Coldshot

Hi my name is Danny and I am new to the forum. I recently got back into bird's. My first was a blue and gold that died several yrs ago. After her I went into saltwater reef aquarium's which I still have and also picked up another bird. Maggie is about 8 year's old and spent most of her life with an elderly lady. I have had Maggie for about 6 month's. When I got her she was really sad and had taken out all of her breast and leg feather's. I want to know how long does it take for her to grow her feather's back. She is very seldom caged and spend's a good deal of time with me and wondering around my apartment. She is fed zupreem and regular treat's. She is a very good talker with a rather large vocabulary and several other bird sounds and animal sounds. She seems really happy but her feathers coming back seem a little slow for me. I would like some input on how long it takes and is their anything I can do for her and are there any ailments that Gray's can get that would cause feather loss. They are growing back and she doesnt appear to be a plucker. thnx for your time and here are a couple pictures keep in mind there were no feathers at all on her breast area or legs when I picked her up.

Danny Lewis

1 (1).jpg

1 (2).jpg

It does take a while for the feathers to come back in so be patient as they do. I would suggest that if you haven't taken her to an avian vet for a checkup you should do that soon to rule out any physical reason but it could have been due to boredom as she may not have gotten much out of cage time in her previous home.

I am so glad you could give her a new forever home where she will get the attention she needs and on a healthy diet so be sure to check out the bird food room for ideas and suggestions.

Thanks for sharing a couple of pics of Maggie.

It was a mourning a lot of parrots go through after being seperated from their first long time owner. Mu Goffin went through it but she got her feathers back really fast. Guess it depends on the bird and depth of love for their previous owner.