NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help! My Grey seems to have suddenly decided he hates me :(

Celshaw

I've had my grey since he (although I strongly suspect it's a she) was 12 weeks old. His name is Neboo. He is now 4 years old.

We've got on famously for the past 4 years, kisses, cuddles etc. But in the past week he seems to have gone off me. He doesn't want kisses and doesn't seem to want to be with me, and worse, he's biting me., hard, and he never does that. I don't know what I've done wrong. We haven't had anything bad happen, it's just all of a sudden he hates me and I'm devastated.

Could this be sexual maturity? And if so, will he like me again? What can I do??

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

African Gray's mature between the ages of 3 and 6 in captivity. It may very well be a stage in his life. Remember your teen years? Just keep close to him/her and caged if it comes to that point and let your bird know he/she is loved and keep thing's as usual with your bird such as treats and play time and things bewtween you and your friend. I did lose a yellow headed amazon to a situation similair. He was a much older bird though. MIght also if it worsen's consider an avian vetrinarian. good luck..

Edited by Coldshot

Greys do start getting "Pissy" at times as they mature, going through molts etc. This will pass, just watch the body language and ask if he wants a step up etc.

DNA is the only way to truly know with out a doubt what the sex is, unless they lay an egg. :P