NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Looking for a shower stand

kingsnake

I don't have a PVC stand but I put a tension shower curtain rod in the shower and he hangs out on that. He hates the water so i have it off to the side so he gets a light misting everyday. I considered buying one of the suction cup type perches but was a little afraid of it constantly falling or something.

I used to be a avid shower perch person, and we even built one for our greys, with suction cups. Until I was at a friends place a few weeks ago, and his perch fell with his amazon on it in the shower. Not only did the poor bird break a blood feather, but after a quick trip to the vet, he broke a leg. Very sad thing to see!

So as of this point forward, I am anti-shower perch, and have taught my greys to shower in the tub. It took a little work, but I think it is much safer, and they are getting used to it.

I can build one out of PVC however I'm not sure how to suction cup it to the shower wall. ANy ideas or where I can buy one if I can't figure it out?

look in the diy section they have good instructions there.

the new avatar looks great w/ Bravo.

My hubby made a T-stand of sorts for Loki's shower perch. We just place it in the bottom of the tub and put the shower head on mist. No suction cups needed. It might be another alternative for you to look into for an idea.

shower time

Here's a video of her bath. You can sorta see the perch.

Edited by KimmieB
add video link

I have 3 shower perches, 2 I put on the window in my kitchen, the other one for my shower. The problem with the suction cup types (which is what I have) they ALWAYS chew on the suction cups and eventually they will fall as they pull hard enough. Fortunately, my 3 parrots flew off as it happens. I can't tell you how many times this has happened...:( Be careful with that type, you have to check it all the time as they will chew bits and the suction cups get smaller and smaller until they no longer support their weight.

You can buy these perches at a lot of the bird supply places online, just google it to find most of them, I have one but don't use it because my shower wall is fiberglass and it doesn't stick too well but it probably would stick better on the tile in the other bathroom, but I just put Josey on the seat that is in the shower and that works just fine.

We have fiberglass walls in our shower/tub and not tile, too, so my hubby said that the suction-cup parrot perches wouldn't work in our home. :( So what I did was buy a nice, large, higher-quality parrot swing online that is wrapped with cotton for a better grip (like a Boing) and I also bought one of those toy extender things. I had my husband hang a hook from the ceiling where I wanted it in the tub, and so now when I want to try and let Marcus have a real shower (instead of just a spray bottle shower), I move the swing from the den onto the hook in the tub, and I put him on it. The spray can't quite reach all around the swing, which is probably for the best, since Marcus isn't too crazy about it yet. He usually climbs pretty far away from the water, but he seems to have a good time when I splash around with him in there, so I'm hoping that with enough time he'll come to enjoy actually climbing down and really getting soaked! Anyway, that's our personal solution to the shower perch-dilemma we had, and so maybe the idea will be of some help to some other fid-filled family, too. :)

My husband made mine, we got the big suction cups from home depot and he cut a grove in the pvc so they slid in, then he put a screw through them. I also have a fiberglass shower, and mine sticks well. We wet the walls, then stick. I do check it before I put Babalu on it to make sure they are tight. We got the idea for this perch, from this forum.

IMG_0635.jpg

Edited by KimKim

I bought a shower perch at the pet shop but we never use it... Rorschach is a very clumsy bird when he is wet, he lifts his wings, leans on one foot and then puts his head under a wing then loses balance. I usually am able to catch him but he did have a few nasty falls so I gave up. I now put a little water in the tub and use the spray bottle... seen here>>

yesterday I turned on the shower and faced it to the wall so it wasn't direct spray on him, he was running around with his wings out having the time of his life lol

We have fiberglass walls in our shower/tub and not tile, too, so my hubby said that the suction-cup parrot perches wouldn't work in our home. :( So what I did was buy a nice, large, higher-quality parrot swing online that is wrapped with cotton for a better grip (like a Boing) and I also bought one of those toy extender things. I had my husband hang a hook from the ceiling where I wanted it in the tub, and so now when I want to try and let Marcus have a real shower (instead of just a spray bottle shower), I move the swing from the den onto the hook in the tub, and I put him on it. The spray can't quite reach all around the swing, which is probably for the best, since Marcus isn't too crazy about it yet. He usually climbs pretty far away from the water, but he seems to have a good time when I splash around with him in there, so I'm hoping that with enough time he'll come to enjoy actually climbing down and really getting soaked! Anyway, that's our personal solution to the shower perch-dilemma we had, and so maybe the idea will be of some help to some other fid-filled family, too. :)

Can we please get a video or pictures of what you are saying?:-)

I have a perch with suction caps but as we moved to another apartment it doesn't work any more because surface of the tiles is too rough:-S The perch keeps falling down so I really don't want to risk putting Zak on it. We'll see what are we going to do..

Can we please get a video or pictures of what you are saying?:-)

It's really not that complicated... I'm sorry if I made it sound so! This video has been living in my camera for about two weeks now, and since I actually have ten free minutes or so I've just uploaded it to YouTube. Marcus was on the lower part of the swing before I ran and got the camera, but by the time I was recording him he was up on the top of it and didn't seem to be enjoying the water quite as much as before. (BTW, the swing seems to dry very quickly once it's out of the bathroom. I'm really pleased with its construction and the way everything's working with it so far for Marcus--in and out of the shower.)

[video=youtube;wns7BHl60-o]