NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Taming a flighted grey

stlcausntrbl1

Hi, my new baby grey is now 23 weeks old. I brought her home 3 weeks ago. She will now step up reliably, take sunflower seeds and cereal from my hand. When it comes to training her to accept touch, I am at a loss. I have done lots of research and read more articles than I can count. But I feel like I am missing something. When trying to train her to accept touch, she simply ducks down or moves and then flies. I have heard and read that leaving them flighted will reduce the chance of feather plucking and biting, but how in the world do you tame and train a bird that simply flies away when it is not interested.

I have 2 other greys both rehomes and they were clipped, making touching and training much easier, but one has a biting problem and one plucks.

This is my one and only baby that came with no baggage, after having rehome for years, I thought I was equiped to tame and train my new baby, BUT, I seem to be struggling. Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated.

Most of the people I know got their babies clipped from the breeder and then let them become flighted. I opted for leaving her flighted, but that may have been a mistake as the taming is not going very well. She will let me touch her back briefly. And I do not want her to become treat dependent in order to do things.

She will let me touch her back briefly. And I do not want her to become treat dependent in order to do things.

Welcome to the forum, it's GreYt having you here!!! :)

No need to clip. Leverage the permission you have of touching her back, praise her for such verbally in a happy and excited voice and also give a favorite treat like a peanut, almond, grape etc. Positive reinforcement works wonders. Slowly extend the amount of time you can touch her back and start moving it up wards over time until you are allowed to give a brief scratch.

I am looking forward to hearing more and seeing some photos and videos when you get a chance of your grey.

I have a 5 month old CAG, Sterling Gris, that I have had for a little over a month. I believe it has to do a lot with how the breeder interacts with the young greys as to how well they adjust to a new parront. Sterling is very cuddly and love tickles and I can only thank the breeder for the loving care he was given. My problem is that Sterling immediately wants to ran up my shoulder and nuzzle on my neck, so it is taking time to break this need. Sterling was very lightly clipped by the breeder, but he can fly all over the place. Even take off from the floor, so I am very happy that the clip was so very light. I believe it is okay to give treats to your grey in the beginning to start the growth of trust. Pistachios are very low in fat and my parrots love unsalted ones. I also find that greys have a mind of their own so you have to "train" on their schedule in short bursts. Be patient and don't push the touching, your grey will eventually be the one asking for scratches when the trust is there. A trickle is the first thing Sterling or my Ana Grey want when they first come out of their cages in the morning... to the point of be obsessive some times! You should introduce yourself in the Welcome Room Marian so everyone can say HI!

Hee Hee. don't you know.....Greys train US!! LOL

It is still early, I don't believe in "training" greys as much as I do allowing them to be as God intended them to be, but in learning their language and trying to communicate our wishes and wants with them so they will be more apt to enjoy the things we want them to do, and want to please us when it fits them...

I had similar trouble with Cosmo for a few weeks around that age. He was exploring A LOT and getting into things he shouldnt A LOT. What I discovered was that I was forced to pick him up and put him in the cage(with him fighting to stay out) far too often. Then he began to associate touch with getting put in the cage. He began to avoid my hands at all costs and thats when I realized the connection. It only took me a couple of weeks to turn this around. Instead of putting him in his cage for being naughty, I distracted him with something more interesting. I never put him in his cage until he is calm and ready to go in. I made sure to praise and reassure him while putting him in the cage(so it isnt a punishment). Try to ensure that touching is always a positive experience. Lots of reassuring and praise.