NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New here and to Greys!

Hello everyone! My name is Cassandra. Ajax is my new 16week old african grey.

I've been doing target training with him and he steps up decent.(or when he wants to rather) He seems to lose his balance a lot and flap his wings to gain it back either when he's on a perch or my hand/arm. Is this normal?

His favorite foods are dried banana chips,unsalted peanuts and animal crackers. He also loves to chew on popcicle sticks. He is outside of his cage a lot since I work from home most days. He seems to be still shy of my hand and me petting him. He will not bite but rather just scoot away from me. Will this subside as he is handled more?

228827_10150251747581991_618501990_7947231_4495255_n.jpg

228912_10150253827276991_618501990_7969511_7962470_n.jpg

293360_10150253815091991_618501990_7969327_241892_n.jpg

Welcome Cassandra and Ajax! Losing his balance and flapping is very normal. Babies are clumsy and he is still a baby. Some owners of baby greys will put towels on the bottom of the cage and lower food bowls until their grey gets better at climbing around. And the flapping is great for those muscles. Did he get clipped before you got him or does he have all his full flight feathers?

Hello Cassandra and welcome to our family, we are so glad you could join us and congrats on your new grey Ajax.

He is a handsome fella from the pics you so kindly shared with us, yes baby greys tend to be a little clumsy so be patient while he gains confidence and agility then he will be amazing you with what he can do with those talons and beak.

He should be getting a lot of vegetables in his diet so the peanuts, crackers and fruit should be just treats, also he needs grains, legumes, nuts, some seeds along with rice, some pasta and maybe a little cheddar cheese from time to time. Be sure to check out the bird food room for lots of ideas of what and how to feed your new baby.

As he learns to trust you more and more he should settle down and allow more hands on but just be grateful he isn't biting you when he doesn't want you touching him as most will do.

Hi Cassandra and Ajax. I have a new young CAG, Sterling Gris, that I have had for about a month, he is 5 months old. He is a cuddler and always wants to nuzzler on my neck. They are all different and it will take some time before you learn to "read" their body language. Sterling Gris is a little clumsy and has gotten into some scary situations with his clumsiness. Luckily I have been right there to "save" him. If your baby does not want to be touched at the moment just give him a small foot toy or a small chunk of carrot and let him sit near you and come to you on his terms.

So glad you joined the forum, welcome to the Grey family!

welcome to you both.You will be made so welcome on this parrot lovers site,the advice is priceless,so many people are just so willing to offer advice,i recently took in a 10 year old cag,to go with my amazon,the advice and help was tremendous.Good luck on your training with your lovely looking grey.