NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Questions from a non-bird owner

Verivus

So I have never owned a bird in my life; I am 22. I currently only have 2 dogs, a 2.5 yo papillon and a 4.5 mo german shepherd and I could tell you a ton on dog health and nutrition, but I can't tell you squat about birds. I've been tossing around the idea of getting a bird for about a year now and have been researching (googling) on and off about them. When I am financially ready and still interested in getting a bird I would primarily be interested in CAGs, then ringnecks, quakers, and eclectus. I only want one bird and want to make sure they're the right fit. Anyway, what I want to know about are the things I would never learn about from internet research like poop, dander, how much time you spend with your bird, how destructive and loud they can be, how much your lifestyle changed, etc. Stuff the average joe would never find out about until they actually got the bird. Thanks!

Chrissy

Well, I could tell you about the first three listed: We have a CAG, an Indian Ringneck, and a Quaker parrot. They all have very different personalities, and although we love them all (and our little cockatiel), I think for someone who has never owned a parrot before, it could make a big difference for you in deciding what you choose to adopt.

Greys, definitely, are a lot of work. They take a great amount of time, attention, love, patience, and understanding. They are exceptionally intelligent and often you end up wondering, Is that a little kid wearing a bird suit in that cage? Especially if the Grey is a talker, I think that effect is more pronounced, although don't ever let anyone tell you that a less-talkative parrot is less intelligent than another! Anyway, the Greys live for quite a long time, whether you adopt/rescue or buy from a breeder, they are a big investment financially and emotionally. But I wouldn't trade our Marcus for the world. He's my little boy, and he's a part of our family, and he loves being together with us.

Our Quaker parrot, Beaker, was the first parrot my husband and I adopted as a married couple (I grew up in a household with an Amazon who was only semi-tame, but that's another story). Quakers are quite fiesty, they are full of spit and vinegar and cuddles. Quakers are generally known as great talkers although our Beaker is more on the quiet side (at least in terms of speaking, he squawks plenty!). They are smart too, but they're just as stubborn, and full of energy; so if you like a little hot sauce with your meal, a Quaker may be just right for you. They can be full of love but they definitely can have attitudes!

The Ringneck that we have, we adopted a few months ago. He is still not handleable (sp?) for us, generally-speaking, although he is at the point where he will take treats from our fingers. Tybalt is a sharp little guy, very smart... he has more energy than Beaker, which is saying something. Tybalt will fly around and around and around the birdroom--I've never seen a parrot with so much energy. I don't know if it's common to the species. He's very affectionate with most of our other birds, usually, although like all parrots, he can be territorial at times. I would say the impression that Tybalt, as a Ringneck, has left on me compared to our other three is energy. He's just a ball of fire. He says two words clearly and one of them is his new name (we renamed him when we got him) so he must be kind of happy here. :) But I have seen videos of other IRNs online who are just excellent talkers with little crystal-clear voices. The thing about IRNs, though, is that I've read if you don't consistently handle them, they will revert to a semi-wild state. At least, they won't want much physical contact with humans, if any. I feel our Tybalt is at that point. We are hoping in the future he will enjoy being with us like our other birds; but even if he does not, we are just glad he seems to be happy being here with the rest of our flock.

And if I didn't mention this already: all of our parrots are rehomes, and were adult when we got them. Rehoming an adult bird can bring its own challenges, true, but I maintain that it is all so worth it. Still, our experiences may be somewhat different from those of individuals who adopted baby birds from the get-go. So hopefully some others will add some more constructive input here and give you a better perspective on everything, that way.

Thank you so much for your response. I have a long ways to go before I'm even financially ready for a bird so I hope by then I'll know more about what I want. In regards to time, I do work full time anywhere from 33 to 40 hours a week. Typically I'll have two 10 hr days and three 6 hour days. Will I be too busy for a bird? I don't party and I don't like to go out like other people my age unless my dogs can tag along so I'm mainly at home or dog friendly places in my free time. How many minimum hours do you think is ideal to spend as one on one time with a CAG or any of the other parrots? I would rather not get one if I work too much to be an ideal home. Also, how do you deal with the poop since they poop so often? Are they easy to potty train? Sorry if that's a dumb question, lol. I don't know much about birds!

Chrissy, a lot of your questions are common to people who have never owned a parrot before and/or new parrot owners, so there are plenty of threads here in the various "rooms" of these forums that will probably address them. Feel free to look around, read, ask questions, and learn as you go. And remember that there are other parrot forums around online (Quaker parrot forums, IRN forums--maybe there's an Ekkie forum!) that may also help give you a better idea of what the other species you mentioned are like, too. If you really want to be a parrot person, you will be, just take your time and enjoy the process and you'll find your special "fid" someday, even if it's years down the road. :)

I don't know what the more experienced owners here do (Hi to another young professional! I'm 20 with two fids, working two part time jobs and going to class full time..I know how it is with the pets!) but when I have my birds out, I follow them around with one of those plastic boxes of unscented, non-alcoholic baby wipes. Every time one of them poops, I pick ip up and wipe the spot with the baby wipe, and throw it out.

Oh man...this will probably be a looong post..;-)

Welcome!:-)

First, probably the best advice anyone can give you is to pick a room and read through all the posts (since you have time before, and if, you get a bird). You'll get a good idea what is to be a bird person/parent. We consider fids as our family members and the outer world does not really understand this;-) Lol

I have a 9 year old CAG so I'll tell you a bit about CAGs. They are mentally like little children and need constant care, love and interaction. You, as the most of us, can't be 24/7 with them playing so you need to stimulate their mind with toys, foraging,.. So you'll need big cage; more wide than tall, lots of various types of toys (foraging, foot, shreddable, wooden,..), maybe a boing,...there is so much you could put in and so much to choose from and, of course, it would be good to have a grooming perch for their talons and beaks no matter what parrot you end up owning. It is a huge change in your life when you get a CAG. You must think of them when going on holiday; find someone whom you would you leave your fid if you wouldn’t be capable to that any more; find a really good AVIAN vet before you bring your bird home; you'll have to make your apartment/house bird safe because you'll have a kid with a can opener on their heads! lol (I borrowed this expression). They can chew through wires, wood, plastic, you name it.... They are loud and messy. Since you have other pets, they need to be constantly supervised when out together or if your dogs have a way to get to your bird. They can be potty trained but sometimes there will be times when they poop wherever. CAGs are very intelligent so they'll push your limits. You have to have ground rules or else there will be chaos. I'm not saying be their boss and control them. I'm saying you need to respect them and their wishes but without setting up some boundaries and teaching them how to behave, there will be problems.. It is really much like being a parent.. I assume it, since I don't have children except that I try to be to this little flighted mischief;-) You need to keep in mind that they need regular bathing and this too could need a learning session.. CAGs are by nature afraid of things so they need to be daily introduced new things so they could learn to interact better with surroundings. They'll need a traveler cage or a carrier to vet visits; nutrition is the key.. My Zak is such a picky eater that he is driving me mad, but I guess that is my fault;-P. Sunbathing or UV lamp (not any UV lamp).... I don't know should I continue to write because there is sooooo much information you should know that I can't possibly write in one post. So I'll encourage you, once again, to read through posts and spend some time with us, talking, watching, asking questions or whatever else you would like and take it from there.. This is exhausting..;-) And yes, one more thing,...time.. My Zak wants a lot of time spent with us. Some to just be in the same room with us while resting/playing, some to have direct interaction. That means eating or you go get the toys and hours pass by in play;-) It much depends whether you have a (recent) re home bird or a baby CAG.. But still, it is not a rule. Every bird is different and have different personality and what she prefers. Both, re homes and babies, have their rewards..

Good luck and keep us posted!;-)

Hi.

I have only been a parrot owner for 18 months.We have 2 little angels :D,our first bird was an orange tipped amazon. Like you ,we did so much research,but the real thing was a totally dfnt ball game.You can pick up so much on the net,but the real thing is such a joy.We just recently rehomed a cag,jess ,she is 10,already her personality coming through.Watching jess and jasper together is worth it alone.I always wanted an african grey,but jasper was first.If and when you decide it will one of the best things you will do.We could never be without the noise and clatter,it brings our house to life.Good luck when you decide,i think your mind is more or les made up.

steve,jess and jasper:D

Welcome! :)

I agree with what everyone says, and there is GREAT information all over the forum to answer your questions :)

But, I would like to say, that I think most of us started out 'just wanting one bird'... Just wait! They're ADDICTIVE! lol Welcome!