NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is a biological drain cleaner safe for birds?

Zoom

I had the plumber over today because my bathtub and sink are both draining very slowly. He left me with a product with me called Bio-Clean (http://bio-clean.ca/Index.htm). It's a biological drain opener. You mix a tablespoon of this stuff with some lukewarm water, stir it, and 20 minutes later, the bacteria is alive and multiplying. Then you pour it into your drain and leave it overnight. The bacteria eats any organic material in the pipes. You do this every night until your drains work properly.

The active ingredients are bacteria culture, amylase, protease, cellulase and lipase enzymes. It says there are no fumes and it's safe for people and all plumbing. Do you think it's safe for my birds? If not, is there a product you can recommend?

Thank you.

Zoom & Flock

A few years ago, before he got his office job, my husband used to be a plumber (well, not licensed himself, but he was a bit beyond the "plumber's helper" stage in the company he worked for). They used to use Bio-Clean a lot, but you really have to let it sit and do its thing before it will really work. He said too many people would flush the toilet or rinse out the tub too soon. I'd kind of forgotten about it, honestly (we haven't had any plumbing issues in a while), but I would think that as long as the birds don't eat it--or bathe in it, like Dave said--then it would be okay to use in the house around them.