NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

POLL: Who clips or doesn't clip their birds wings?

kingsnake

Do you clip your birds wings?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you clip your birds wings?

• Yes!
    • No!

I decided not to clip Murphy but if I knew that clipping him would have prevented his escape then I would, but you don't know till it happens. As you can imagine it is something that went through my mind when he escaped. It's a very hard choice indeed, pros & cons to both I feel. Kate said to me on a number of occasions to clip his wings for fear of him escaping but I always said "no". Our daughter is now nearly two & Kate was worried that she may open a door, not knowing that Murphy would fly off.

It's a hard one, I think it is down to each individual circumstances. We should respect each & every persons decision.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided not to clip Murphy but if I knew that clipping him would have prevented his escape then I would, but you don't know till it happens. As you can imagine it is something that went through my mind when he escaped. It's a very hard choice indeed, pros & cons to both I feel. Kate said to me on a number of occasions to clip his wings for fear of him escaping but I always said "no". Our daughter is now nearly two & Kate was worried that she may open a door, not knowing that Murphy would fly off.

It's a hard one, I think it is down to each individual circumstances. We should respect each & every persons decision.

It's a hard choice to have to make but if a parrot is clipped so that it cannot fly the chance of it having a serious injury due to a hard landing is very high.

On the other hand a light clip might not prevent a fly away but it's risk of predation would be high as it would be unable to defend itself. Besides having been a flyer clipping would make him very sad and confused.

Don't beat yourself up because you did not clip. You did what you knew was best for your bird. I still think you will get him back.

Steve n Misty

• 1 month later...
Unless I have to for some reason, I will not be clipping her wings. It's not as drastic and declawing a cat’s claw (As that is permanent) but IMO it is almost the same. Again, there may be reasons in the future that I change my mind (For the birds safety as one example) but as of now, no.

And that reason came. I moved Bravo to the living room/foyer area. Keeping him in a small room, not around other people besides me just wasn't what Bravo wanted or needed. He is much happier being right next to the action. Everyone walks in, he sees them, he is not bored, and overall he seems much happier.

However, being next to the front door, fans above and a few other things the wings had to be clipped. Mistakes happen like kids not turning off fans or closing the doors all the way etc... I think it was best. I never thought I would do it but I feel much better.

I am new to owning parrots, I have owned poultry and have clipped wings on them before...I got my re-homed grey Shyloh and his feathers have just come back (for the most part) from his last clip, and he is taking some small trips flying around the house... I rather enjoy this, and he doesn't land very gracefully now, I can't imagine how he'd crash and burn if he was clipped again. The gal I got him from said that after he was clipped he would crash into the floor or walls and end up with lumps and bumps all over his head, so NO THANKS, I will leave him flighted as long as it's in his best interest. I am also waiting the arrival of my new baby CAG as well, my breeder suggested that I leave him flighted unless I just can't stand it, so that is what I intend to do with him as well.

My personal belief is that if you are living in a situation where you think you have to clip your parrots wings then it is time to re home it with a carer who can allow it freedom in the home without clipping. Parrots are flying birds and clipping them for the sake of convenience is heartless. Clipping puts a bird at risk of severe injury and mental stress.

Steve n Misty

I know this might sound Crazy but I would not clip Sunny's wings even after loosing him for four days (see the link below). My house is a bi-level and every time we are eating dinner as a family he flies upstairs lands on my shoulder and says "Want Some" I get a kick out of this all the time. Freedom is the way to go thats the way God created it to be for these CAGs...

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?193984-The-Prodigal-Parrot-(Sunny)

I've held off on saying this for a while now, and I don't mean to be disrespectful in expressing myself here this way, because I know people have strong feelings regarding this issue and each person has a right to their own feelings/choices: Nevertheless, I think that to hold such a view that a home where a parrot is kept clipped and consequently considered automatically unsuitable for the bird, is short-sighted and a bit naive. Yes, parrots were made to fly, like most other birds. Yes, some parrots do not take well to having their wings clipped. But others seem to take it in stride, I know our Beaker does and we've had him clipped professionally a number of times. If the option is for a parrot to live out its life in some loving home where they are paid attention to; where they are loved and fed well; where they are interacted with and give enrichments--but clipped--then I believe that is better thing than, say, a bird who remains in some animal care facility where they are left without constant individual care and remain there for who knows how long? If the caveat is for the bird to be clipped, let them be clipped and adopted and loved. If a family feels they need to clip their bird for it to be safe, let it be clipped. If it can be allowed to remain flighted, then there is no arguing that is the better thing. But you can't say that someone who is confined to a wheelchair still can't enjoy their life, which is what some people seem to be comparing the clip vs. flight issue to in some respects. No, maybe they can't walk like humans were designed to, but they can still feel joy and experience love and have a full life in their own way. Saying that a clipped parrot does not belong with the owners who made the decision to have it clipped is ridiculous--you want to just tear it away from its flock? Circumstances sometimes dictate less-than-ideal situations, but situations may change in the future anyway, and for people to be judged so harshly when I'm sure most of them love their birds very much and are just doing what they think best, at that moment in time... is arrogant.

Edited by MarcusCAG

My two cents worth of experience---I have three flighted parrots AND operable ceiling fans. For some reason there has never been a problem. You would logically think there would be, but maybe it is the wind created that keeps them away.

I do hope you have the fans turned off when the birds are out? I have those fans as well, but they remain OFF when the cages are open.

My birds are not clipped, and never have been. I would only clip for safety reasons, if needed. Sometimes clipping one wing or every other feather of fight wings will give an aggressive bird an attitude adjustment. They will grow back. When my birds are out and flying, they must be supervised at all times. I think it's decision only an owner can decide what works best for their personal situation.

Our family knows the birds may be out, and we don't leave doors open or take any risks of escape, or injury. Also, we have 3 dogs that do have that natural prey drive. The dogs must be outside when the birds are off their perches or out of cages. I would be devastated if my birds were injured or lost. But I do feel it's necessary for them to be able to fly and be a bird too. Just my opionion.

It's great to see the different views, opinions and comments made here in a respectful way. I love it when people can express themselves and not be attacked for it. Asking questions of why someone may allow or do something others would never consider, is fine and gives them a chance to explain WHY they feel comfortable and safe with that choice. :)

Your all a great group of people and I am so happy your all here!!!

In regards ceiling fans, both our birds know when they are on and stay away from them as well. They can both see the blades are moving and feel the air being pushed by them. I will say though, if a new bird was introduced to this home, I would never turn the ceiling fans on until they were aware of it and that it is not static, therefore can change states from still to moving. The same goes true with mirrors and windows, all would have covers or as I prefer little stickies on them so the new bird knows something is in the way of that seeming hole in the wall they can see through. :)

Edited by danmcq

If you could see my house and how my birds act around the fans - it is a "non-issue." Please respect that.

Its hard when people dont want to open their minds to others specific situations. At least things have been civil in this thread even though we all may not agree.

People seem concerned about ceiling fans and windows. There are a couple of things you can easily do to help prevent these accidents. Regular plastic wrap (for sandwiches and other foods) can be purchased sometimes in different colors during the holidays. Just cut some in different shapes and press them to your windows. Or you can use a felt pen and make pictures on the clear kind. As for ceiling fans, just hang some ribbon in strips on the fans so that when they are on the ribbon moves and your birds can see that the fan is in motion. I have always taken my parrots around so that they can see where the windows are and tap on the glass so they know it is solid. Our parrots are very intelligent just show them what they need to be concerned about they catch on very quickly, with a little help.

I personally would not clip my Grey. She has never been clipped and I don't intend to clip her. I see it from the perspective of, she's a bird and she's built for flight and I'm not hindering that. But that's my opinion and I respect anyone who does wish to clip their bird's wings; I do understand why people clip their birds. I just choose not to.

Mine is fully flighted and I can sure tell that he loves flying around. He enjoys it very much.

He does get into a lot more trouble flighted though.. he knows he can get up high places where it is hard for me to get him down if I need to leave and put him in cage.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone! I know personally that my Shelby would probably fly right into them if they're on, so I did not respect that your parrot is most likely different. Again, I did not mean to offend.

Is it possible to clip a parrot so he would only be unable to fly for say...a week or so? When I move I don't picture myself being able to make everything "bird safe" overnight.

Cody is the only flighted parrot we have , we have 5 parrots and they don't all get along and for that reason I can see big problems if they were all flighted except for maybe Opey our quaker he seems to get along with everyone plus I would be worried they would fly down the hallway and go into the laundry room and a bird could easily get stuck behind a washer or a dryer I just think it's alot safer for them to be clipped , Cody is a special needs bird and the vet highly recomended for us not to clip his wings he needs the extra balance and so far he hasn't gotten into to anything yet and I did say yet lol