NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

POLL: Who clips or doesn't clip their birds wings?

kingsnake

Do you clip your birds wings?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you clip your birds wings?

• Yes!
    • No!

I'm curious to see what the results will be. This isn't a poll for me to decide if I should or shouldn't. This is just curiosity of who does and who doesn't. If you would like to leave a reply that is fine but I hope everyone will at least select an option in this poll.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both my birds were clipped when I first got them. I had planned to keep them clipped but then Shelby grew his flights out. Sure, it has been a huge risk keeping him flighted before I move out of my parents house (where there are three large dogs, and a cage full of rats that share the same room) but to see him fly around, whistling gleefully...I couldn't take that away from him. I won't be clipping Jon either, or my future grey. Of course...I am moving to a one bedroom apartment where the whole living room, kitchen, and bathroom are going to be bird proofed so they have free run of it. The bedroom door will stay closed, because that is where I will be keeping my rats/future mammal pets.

EDIT: Also, I don't see a poll anywhere

EDIT2: Ah, it showed up.

Edited by Eshana

Unless I have to for some reason, I will not be clipping her wings. It's not as drastic and declawing a cat’s claw (As that is permanent) but IMO it is almost the same. Again, there may be reasons in the future that I change my mind (For the birds safety as one example) but as of now, no.

I'm taking him her to get DNA sexed this week. I don't want to call the Bird Kevin (Like in the Movie "UP") and later find out Kevin is a girl.

I got off my butt and made the call, there is an opening at 5:30 today to have the bird checked out and DNA testing.

I'm guessing now, I think it is a male. Not that I care what sex it is. I just want to see if I am right.

Mine are not clipped. They are very strong and fit, and I enjoy their exuberant flights through the house. But the safety of our birds is very important, and I think each household must make their own decision based on their circumstances.

I saw this poll at the top of the Grey Lounge when I "peeked in here" just now, and I have to log in...

I'm not choosing Yes or No because we have clipped our boys in the past, and if extenuating circumstances would seem to demand clipping as the best/safest thing for whatever reason in the future for them, we would do that again--if. Right now they are all flighted and I truly think they are very happy that way. Beaker, our Quaker parrot, came to us clipped and we kept him clipped until around the time when we got our Marcus. We had a nice and professional groomer couple come and clip Marcus once, a week after we adopted him, and we have been letting his wings grow out since then. It just kind of happened, really. There were so many things we had to learn about him (Marcus) as a rehomed, older bird with issues, that when his wings started growing out, it was just like, "Let them," because there was so much else to deal with at the time with him. I will say, Beaker is not at all slowed down by being a clipped bird; but we wonder now if our Tybalt--who we believe has always been flighted--might be a bit upset if we did clip him. Little Bunsen, too.

What I'm saying is, personally I think we try to be flexible with our situation. At the time last year, clipping seemed best for our Beaker, and for Marcus, but they are birds and if we can safely keep them flighted in our home, flying as they wish as they would be outside, then that is what we want to allow them to do. And perspectives can change, and circumstances. I think you need to know your flock and be open-minded to how they might feel about such things, and sometimes it might even boil down to a particular bird. Even though I always anymore come back to the fact, if they were out in the wild like they should be, they would be flighted. Birds were designed to fly, it is their right. So maybe that's my final word, really, if circumstances safely allow for it. But if your bird is flighted but it allows for them to constantly be in harm's way in your home, what's the point?

Edited by MarcusCAG

To clip or not to clip is a personal choice. One that should be made individually. My zon has never been clipped and because of his personality and choices will remain so. Ana Grey was clipped by the breeder and has been flighted since the feathers grew back. If I were to clip her, it would be for her safety and for no other reason, she longs to be flying free outside and if I ever feel she will make a diligent effort to "make the escape" I would not hesitate to clip her. Sterling is a baby still and just loves to eat and be with me, so we will see. I love to see flighted birds and God willing, mine will remain so as long as possible. Circumstances change, life changes so we will see. So I will not take your poll either as this is a personal choice and could change if the circumstances warrant.

Geee. I understand things change and safety, I mentioned this is my post as well. No reason not to take the poll...? I think WE ALL understand if it is for the good of the bird we would but all I am asking is if you do now or don't. I'm not even asking why you do or why you don't.

I think WE ALL understand if it is for the good of the bird we would but all I am asking is if you do now or don't.

That part was unclear to me. I would have checked a "maybe" option had there been one, just referring to things in general. But since the question apparently refers to this very moment in time, I took your poll just now and answered "no". Hope that feedback helps somehow. :)

There is no good reason to clip a parrots wings. I believe that if one intends to keep a parrot then it is essential to understand that being able to fly is a vital part of being a bird. Clipping is dangerous both mentally and physically. A clipped bird is at terrible risk from injury as it may be unable to land properly or escape the attentions of a predator such as a family dog or cat. If it takes flight due to a startle response it is at risk of crashing due to lack of control and flight skills.

An unflighted bird may well lack confidence and be more prone to self mutilation. The bird will lead a much impoverished life as it will be restricted to its cage for much of the day for its own safety. Learning to fly is an essential part of a parrots development both physically and mentally.

My Misty was clipped when he came to me at about two years. Fortunately his flights grew back over about nine months and his feather condition gradually improved as well. Now about seven years later he is a skilled flyer and he has the freedom of my apartment . As I am home most of the time he is nearly always out of his cage. It is mostly used for sleeping. Obviously I have to take precautions to avoid the risk from open windows and doors and make sure my home is parrot safe.

Misty is smart, happy and social and I cannot imagine how he would be if he was unable to fly properly. Misty is trained to fly to me but I take great care that he will not go AWOL. He is chipped and that may improve the odds of him being recovered in the event but I am not prepared to clip him under any circumstances. It would be an insult to him.

I believe wing clipping it a terrible practice and if one lives in circumstances where wing clipping is considered a serious option then that is not the right place for a parrot.

Steve n Mistyparrot

• Haha 1

Getting an understanding of my bird. I've only had her a week today and she will fly to me and land either on my head or if I hold out my hand she will land on it as well. Today, for the first time I guess she had enough of me and flew back to her cage. Looking past most of this... It was nice to have her leave when she wanted and saved me the effort of getting up and putting her back.

Geee. I understand things change and safety, I mentioned this is my post as well. No reason not to take the poll...? I think WE ALL understand if it is for the good of the bird we would but all I am asking is if you do now or don't. I'm not even asking why you do or why you don't.

HA! You aren't getting through a poll like this without some personal views. ;) I don't clip my boy's. I already had some post going on about why so I will leave that out. A truly sensitive discussion.

I cherish that my grey can fly. He enjoys it so much! I realize it is my responsibility to make sure the doors are closed, so he cannot fly away, and I willingly take that responsibility. I am not saying that accidents don't happen - they do, but I am willing to take that risk.

I look at it this way.. We are not allowed , nor we ever were to take their freedom away from them but we did anyway. When we did that, there is none excuse to clip them and not let them use their Natures given gift for we don't have the right to take them that as well. There are so many rights broken everyday so I won't get into that. We are humans and we do what we do best. It sure as hell doesn't mean it is right. For those who are afraid of their friends flying away, -don't. Appreciate that they have just few untainted aspects of themselves left as it was given to them by nature.

I understand the "fear" that a bird could fly away but those concerns fall on the owner and shouldn't be taken out on the bird. Making sure doors are shut, installing screen doors and using a harness to name a few precautions. It's sort of like making sure you turn of the ceiling fans etc before letting the bird out of the cage. IMO, if a bird escapes there is something the human could have done that could of prevented it (For the most part, here are some exceptions)

Now if I had a 3 year old child who opened doors and turned on ceiling fans when I wasn't looking or other things that I couldn't have 100% control over then yes, I would clip the birds wings UNTIL it was safe to let the bird fly again. There are some reasons IMO to clip and I understand but when those reasons grow up (like my 9 year old son who understands) then I would let the wings grow out.

I was even a bit younger than 3 when I learned how to get out of the crib and I didn't stop there. One time I got out of the room, out of the house, on the street and started "running". It took me few minutes to take advantage of my mother preparing my meal.. She soon realized I was gone and went out looking for me.. I was already half a street away even tho I was still a baby.. So my point is..she couldn't have tied my ass to the crib or to a chair in fear I would be harmed.-However, my parents installed a bell to ring in the kitchen when I open the door of my room so they would know when I am about to escape again..;-P Also, even if you have a little kid, there are probably a million other ways than opening doors/windows that kid could harm the parrot inadvertently. You can't control every situation and most probable even a clip parrot. But it would sure help if you didn't have a kid like I was;-)

PS: afterwards I decorated/painted one whole closet, my crib and myself (even my hair) with Penaten creme. For you who don't know, it is a very greasy creme for babies. At the time I thought I was really decorating the house and that my mother would be thrilled and proud.. Not so much, as it turned out..;-)

PPS: she didn't tie me to the chair even then....;-)

Edited by Morana