NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Looking for a good rice cooker that is bird friendly

Eshana

Hey guys!

I'm a vegan (don't worry, I'm not crazy, haha) so naturally I cook a lot of dishes that go well with rice. I currently buy instant brown rice, but it's expensive and I'd prefer to buy brown rice in bulk when I move to my first apartment next month.

My boyfriend actually has a rice cooker he wanted to give me, and I was excited until we looked at the box, it's coated!

So anyway, long story short, does anyone know of a good rice cooker that is non coated and bird friendly?

Stainless Steel Rice Cooker Model ME81 (Formerly ME8) - by Miracle Exclusives it is on Amazon for around $65

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Cooker-Model-Formerly/dp/B000I5UEQM

I understand about the teflon, I had to discard some pretty nice stuff in my kitchen to eliminate the problem. The way I see it is if it can kill them it probably isn't too good for us either.

I did find one and was reassured by the company that it had no teflon. It is a Cuisinart, but I never liked the cooker very much. It sprayed rice water around the outside of it. I suppose you could put it in something to catch all that. I finally stopped using it. You can also cook rice in one of those small sized Croc pots. Works great for brown rice but you have to time it so that it doesn't end up mushy. I use it to make brown rice for the birds.

Casey

• 2 weeks later...

Ewww! I haven't even been thinking about the coatings, but now I guess I'm going to have to run through my house. Darnit! Anything that's bad for birds that way is bad for our sugar gliders too, who are especially sensitive to... everything. We're trying to make our kitchen Kosher so it might be a good time to buy all new stuff. Even my husband (who isn't Kosher) prefers non-coated everything, since it's purer anyway and I think the foods cooked on it taste better.

BTW, I didn't know you had to be crazy to be a vegan ;) I've thought about going raw (I'm not vegetarian but I'm considering a pescetarian diet and I love my fish raw) and I think that's taking crazy even one step further anyway ;)

I have an ancient uncoated rice cooker that I've used for many years to cook grains. It works great, but I've never been thrilled with the product I get with brown rice. I found this recipe, and it produces awesome brown rice.

1 1/2 cups brown rice

2 1/3 cups water

2 teaspoons butter or vegetable oil (I guess you would want to use the oil)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position. Heat oven to 375F. Spread rice in 8-inch square baking dish. (To double recipe, use a 13 by 9-inch baking dish; the baking time need not be increased.)

2. Bring water and butter or oil to boil, covered, in medium saucepan over high heat. Once boiling, immediately stir in salt and pour water over rice. Cover baking dish tightly with lid or a doubled layer of foil. Bake rice 1 hour, until tender.

3. Remove baking dish from oven and uncover. Fluff rice with dinner fork, then cover dish with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel. Let stand 5 minutes.

I boil the water in the microwave in a pyrex measuring cup and add the salt and butter directly to the uncooked rice, before pouring in the water.

This really produces a brown rice with a superior texture than what I get from the rice cooker. Just thought I'd share. :)