NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

An update from us too;-)

Morana

Here is an update on Zak and me;-)

I don't know Zaks exact hatch date, but he is cca 9 years old.

Zak changed (for better) a lot in last couple of years. I can thank a lot to this Forum for it. You've been our family:-) For the ones that don't know our story, I can't even begin to tell you how our human component means a lot when shaping our Greys personality. For quite a while now, I am looking at Zak quite differently and it helped us to develop a much better relationship. We still have a whole lot to do and learn but I'm taking it slowly for we have a lifetime together. Personally, my biggest problem is my fear of biting hands (-that concerns the step ups). He is a good boy but I still can't get past by this phobia of mine:-S So, Zak must be patient of me as I need to be of him;-)

On the other hand, I'm not afraid, at all, when he is on my shoulder so here is the picture of us washing dishes.-) He is definitely a shoulder Grey;-).

DSC01091.jpg

As you may know, we moved recently to a new apartment and Zak is used to most of his surroundings by now and we like this place much more than the tiny place we've been in.. The problem of Zak flying into windows I solved with green post-its which you can still see in the picture,and the new thing of mine are those two creations of an island and a fish which I drew because I had problem ordering window decals. When I'm finished, pictures will substitute post-its. Coloring is not toxic, not that Zak can reach it..

DSC01969.jpg

Another new thing in our life is adjusting much more to new stuff. After that fiasco with the carrier (and going to the vets for 3 days in a row), we are now playing in it-make it a fun place for a change. We are still a long way from actually going somewhere in the carrier but we are making progress every day;-)

DSC01825.jpg

DSC01965.jpg

DSC01968.jpg

Also, we are practicing going to the shower cabin and closing the door. It is too exhausting bathing Zak in the living room. Everything in the living room is subjected to Zaks needs but still..

DSC01803.jpg

Paint on the wall in the living room can be washed. Windows in the whole apartment have thingies which allow windows just to be slightly open so Zak couldn't get away and so on.. We even started with sun bathing.

DSC01963.jpg

It was first in his life! We have a balcony now so we can use it. Zak was afraid first day, but here, in the picture, is his second day; warm wind is blowing and we are having good time. He ate some grapes for reward (of being a good bird) which he wouldn't if he was nervous (then he would just throw it away).

We cuddle a lot more; he steps up more willingly; bites hardly ever-only when I misinterpret his body language. We even began to solve the „BF problem“. Some of you know the story. We decided that my BF is going to move to another place and it kinda automatically resolved most of our tension/problems and so he is much different towards Zak now which is making me very happy. My BF plays with Zak much more; respects Zak much, much more; listens to me for advice about my birdie and he gets bitten less and less. In short, we are very happy with our new arrangement. We are still a family but now a happy one regardless of the address:-) Btw, my BF is Zaks favorite person.

Our complete happiness is due to one more person, -Zaks vet. She is the best ever. What ever Zak and I need she is here to help and talk. She is really great with him but we still have to learn how to be ok with vet visits. It is a touchy subject for us..

Zak is playing more and more but still not as much as I would want him to. Now, our new task is to get Zak interested in wooden toys.

He finally stopped being afraid of straws so we'll be making some new toys;-)

He is not afraid of taking medications/fluid by a syringe any more.

Yesterday we finally started playing with nuts because he doesn't want to eat them at all but when I give him an almond in a husk, he throws away the almond and keeps the husk:-S

You could say he is foraging, if finding fruits among the veggies could be called that;-) We are working on that too. I'm kinda slow on that apartment..

Weighing is another thing too that we are trying. He gets on a T-stand (created for a scale) but not in a nice, calm way. He jumps on it with so much energy that he falls from it sometimes. I think he is very afraid of it but still attempts to overcome it by himself. I guess weighing (at home) will wait a bit longer. Here is the picture of him on this infamous T-perch.

DSC01799.jpg

Zak is a very picky eater (go figure) so it is an ongoing battle to get him something to eat other than what he likes. I think I should force this issue a bit more. We'll see how it goes..

In a nutshell, we have lot going on. I could say, we are just warming up. I feel like I am still so very new to taking care of my little feathered friend. The best thing going on with us is that there is more trust between us. I LOVE my birdie!:-)

PS: we had our daily sunbathing today too:-)

Thank you for letting us know how Zak has been doing... he is a beautiful bird! :)

I, too, have been trying to get our Marcus used to his carrier a bit more, and have started up the 'sunbathing' thing. We went outside for five minutes yesterday before the neighbors pulled up and I thought it best to take Marcus back in. But it sounds like your Zak can relax on his balcony and really take in the view! I am sure that, in time, it will become a highlight for him. Has he started mimicking the other birds' calls yet? I'm sure he sees plenty of them flying around...

And I like your window art. Very cute! And I love all the pics of him you shared--what a happy little guy! :)

One last thing: were you playing a little game with the buttons on the cloth in front of his open carrier? Just curious!

Thank you for compliments;-)..and for congrats:-)

But it sounds like your Zak can relax on his balcony and really take in the view!

Has he started mimicking the other birds' calls yet? I'm sure he sees plenty of them flying around...

..were you playing a little game with the buttons on the cloth in front of his open carrier? Just curious!

To answer the first question.. We don't have much of a view because we are looking at the communal yard of all the buildings surrounding it.. It is not a pretty yard.. Actually, we haven't seen that many birds. Have no idea why.. He mimics hens, cats, dogs, mobile phones, microwave own,air condition but no birds.. He used to mimic one bird but when the "season" ended and bird didn't come back, he forgot it.. But that was in our last apartment..

There was no specific game intended with those buttons. They are there, now in lesser numbers, to be ripped off. It is used here like an extra fun-he takes a small birdie bagel,puts it in his beak and tries to rip of the button at the same time. Or, he takes a pen, wraps the towel around it and chews on it.. If he is nervous, he just chews the towel..;-) It is familiar so I keep it there..

PS: it is not much of a yard but it is a nice looking little balcony. I have olive and lavender on it.. Very proud of the balcony, too. Much work and much sweat was left there..

Edited by Morana

This is the second day that Zak didn't even said a peeep while I left the aprtment!:-) So, no more yelling when I leave the apartment:-)

Also, yesterday afternoon he wanted so much to be pet that I am wondering how he has any feathers left in that area;-P He was such a cuddle bug:-) My sweetie even closed his eyes..:-) Unfortunatelly, he didn't do that in quite a long time:-(

Lovely pictures indeed, Morana. Zak looks healthy and gorgeous. Sooo glad to hear you are having some progress with him in general, but mainly with the BF, since it was something that was upsetting you. Also great news that you succeeded to make him stop yelling when you leave the apartment. That's a sign he's probably feeling more well balanced and happy. How did you achieve that though? Be nice to learn your trick. ;)

Thanks for the update. You are a good mommy! Zak is a beautiful bird! It sounds like you are working very hard and enjoying Zak. I understand about the "afraid of getting bitten" part. It does seem that mutual trust, built over time, is beneficial for your bird and for you. I have found that regular sunshine really mellows my bird out and he is much more sweet and laid back.

Thank you all for praises:-) Don't know if I will convey them all to Zak, for he could get conceited;-) Lol

Now, to answer a question.. Guess my joy about him not yelling when someone leaves the apartment was a bit premature.. -Actually, he really isn't yelling when I leave, but today when my BF went out first, there was some racket.. Apparently, I'm not that important person to be yelled about:-P Also, I can't possibly be characterized as fun distraction since he yelled for my BF regardless of me being there, saying he was such a pretty bird.. :-S So to our mutual dissapointment Popsicle, I guess I'm not the right person to give advice;-P Lol

Now kidding aside... He didn't yell when left alone in our old place so it must be result of being in new enviroment. I guess he finally settled a bit after the move.. It is still fresh but it seems like he is not bothered that much when left alone in that unfamiliar place..-because it is not that unfamiliar any more. Anyway, the best tip I can give you on this is: preoccupy him with something fun before you leave so he'll be distracted and won't notice when you go. Also, he will asociate you leaving with fun. I think Zak is still sensitive about BF leaving because he wasn't much around due to his recent surgery and immediately afterwards because of his vacation. He was really little at home. I plan to preoccupy Zak with so much to do that he won't notice much BF being away.. In theory anyway..;-)

And yes, I just remembered, -I think Zak stopped yelling for one other reason.. Lately, I come home from work at a very similar time so he knows when to expect me coming back.. He plays a bit while I'm gone and since I come home early (there is not much to do in school during summer vacations) he knows he'll get his out of the cage time the minute I step into the apartment and afterwards there is sunbathing and playtime so I guess he is fine with that arrangement:-)

Thank you all for comments and for reading our update;-)

Edited by Morana

Aww you'll get there with the yelling issue. ;) Is Zak female? haha Have you ever sexed him? I find it funny how crazy about your BF he is. And I did hear many times parrots can adjust to our schedule and be happy with that. It's good to hear he's doing fine in the new environment. :)

Zak is a boy:-)

Yea, I don't know why the hell he likes my bf so much.. Guess, bf is much more attractive than me;-P ..to Zak anyway...;-)

We've just been sunbathing and Zak was so relaxed that he even started playing, so picture will be here soon;-)

Today, when we were sunbathing, 3 pigeons came to perch right opposite of us at a distance of about 5 meters and this is Zaks first "close" contact with other birdies and I can tell you he was pretty nervous:-S Pigeons didn't seem to care at all for Zak but he even vocalized a bit, also very nervously. I'm guessing in order to send them away..or something.. Think we need to go out more. Zak is a nervous wreck ;P

Hi you all!:)

Of course I have new pictures to share.. Apparently it is my favorite thing to do these days but I'll post them when I get home;-) For now, I just wanted to share an anecdote from this morning.. As we came to this apartment, most days when I get up (before work) I would exercise on the mat in front of Zaks cage and eat breakfast at the same time. For those who have question marks above their heads right about now, let me explain what kind of exercise I am talking about. I need to "do" my knees so I'm in sitting position most of the time of the exercise during which I eat my breakfast. Satisfied?;-P Anyway,.... So, today I put my mat in front the cage, but didn't immediately start to exercise nor eat like I usually would because today I forgot to make Zaks Calcium.. Therefore, I got back to the kitchen and I don't hear Zak eating as usual so I get back to check it out.. He is standing in front of his bowl, waiting.. And I'm saying, well, why aren't you eating and he is looking at the bowl and then looking at me, still waiting. So I make his Calcium and get back. I get down on the mat, my bowl on one side and my cell on the other. Imagine my surprise when he started to eat when I started to eat! He was waiting for me to have breakfast together, my precious cutie pie!!:-) So nice:-D ...I know I can't exercise this much favoritism every day and I'm sure he wouldn't wait for me every day,- but today was nice;-) ....just wanted to share..;)

Edited by Morana

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the pictures I promised;-)

First few ones are pic of my balcony.. My olive and lavender..:-)

DSC01982.jpg

DSC01981.jpg

DSC01983.jpg

and this is my fluffy feathered love;-)

DSC01988.jpg

DSC01984.jpg

and here he is having fun on his boing.. We'll be buying one for the ceiling too..

DSC01976.jpg

DSC01975.jpg

I don't have pictures from today but we had a wonderful bathe! I don't think he ever wanted to bathe more than today! He was flapping his wings, hanging from a ceiling,...just enjoying himself:-D By the end of the bath we were both soaked so we went sunbathing.. It is horribly hot these days here but Zak seemed to be more than fine outside on the sun today. He was drying off and we were playing our "steel the beak" thing and I was already cooked when he decided it is maybe just a bit too warm to be outside..*rolling eyes* -..it had passed 45 minutes when he decided the fun is over.. Uh..oh.. I took him inside in an instant! I was very much relieved that he decided playtime and sun bathing are over for today!

The best thing was that today was the first time the bamboo shutter (?) was half way down, the laundry was drying, the sack with earth (for the plants) was on the balcony and the wind was blowing a bit and my Zak wasn't afraid at all!!:) Very new set of circumstances and my Zak did wonderfully! I'm very proud of him:-D