NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

getting a second bird

Guest briansmum

Guest briansmum

although i am considering a differnt bird (interested in a lovely preloved goffins) this is more about brian than anything else.

he is spoiled to bits and has a home for life and i really want to give another bird the same chance but im worried how brian will take it.

i dont have a big house and the cages would only be a couple of meters apart, i wouldn't have them out at the same time but would they share the same playstand? i'm worried brian would see this new bird on his stand and his mum and it could affect him badly.

Guest briansmum

yeah, i'm not concerned about them not getting along, if i was to get another bird it wouldnt be as a "pet" for brian, i know all about that and wouldn't intend to have them out at the same time. but with the cages and playstand in the same room, i wouldnt want brian to see the other bird on his stand and then refuse to go on it when he comes out. the same with me, would he see me playing with the bird and then not want to come to me anymore. very tough decision.

It is always a tough decision beccy when considering another bird, you know all the pros & cons so im not going to go on ;) just if you have the time & love to give to them both & you want another bird i say follow your heart. Brian is still very young, he may not be the best of friends with a new bird but in time he may tolerate him, & you never know they may become friends.

I wish you all the luck in the world coming to a decision :)

Guest briansmum

thanks tracy, i do know all the pros and cons, i guess it was more reassurance than answers i was looking for. i suppose if it is such a difficult decision then maybe now isn't the right time to get another bird. although i do think brian would take better to it now that when he is older. ahhh! someone decide for me! LOL

Guest briansmum

thankyou tari i will

i read your sticky tari and it confirmed what i already knew thankyou. as i said i wouldnt get the bird as a friend for brian, i would never expect them to get on and it most deffinately would have its own cage.

my main worry is that bringing another bird into the home will affect my relationship with brian.<br><br>Post edited by: xxbeccyxx, at: 2007/09/10 16:31

I think Tari said it best, if you get another bird, see to it the other one still gets the same amount of attention they are used to getting.

If you want another bird, I say go for it, but do not be disappointed if they don't get along, but if they do then you are surely blessed.:)

Guest briansmum

i wouldn't be dissapointed if they didn't get on, if they did it would just be a bonus, and you know brian is my world i would never shove his beak out, i couldn't i love every feather on his body way too much.

i'm talking my other half round, he wants a bird that likes him too :lol: i'm looking into either a goffins or a sun conure. what do you think?

Me I vote for a quaker. lol Smart as a grey and cute. But suns are nice too if you don't mind the screaming and you don't mind that brian learns that scream.

Cockatoos are the most rehomed bird ever. They are needy, dusty, and loud. If you think you can handle all that they are so pretty and cuddle bugs too.

Guest briansmum

brian is dusty, needy and loud :laugh: although i have read that goffins are the quietest cockatoos, however that is not my reason for looking at them, it's purely a size thing, if i could i'd have a big macaw but i dont have the room and it would be cruel.

seriously though, i could deal with the noise no problems and i have nothing but love and time. i don't know much about quakers i will look into those too. i am looking for a rehome. so far i've emailed two people about sun's and one about the goffins. i'm doing well convincing the man and i asked brian if he would mind another birdy.. he said "ooooh!" then pooped. i'm guessing he was more excited about the poop than the bird :lol:

I think if you don't mind a little screaming, then a sun conure would fit the bill. My Sunny is a little clown, she loves to sit on my shoulder while I am doing things and hanging down off my shirt trying to get into whatever I am doing. She cuddles some too and also takes a nap with me, she either sits on the pillow beside my head or on my neck.

Sun conures are one of the brightest in color of the parrots, with mostly yellow body feathers and orange around the head, with green and blue on the wings and tails. Some talk but mine doesn't, and I don't care about that, she is a wonderful pet and my constant companion.

Beccy - your talking yourself into it :-)

Only you can make that decision. If you want me to tell you to go for it, let me know. Although it would bother my conscience. ;-)

It can't believe how passive Judy is on this, this time.

When I brought home two Grey's, she just about had a Cow and told me I knew better. :woohoo:

Ok, bring it on Judy, it's been a while since we Danced .....

{Characters-00020059}

Dan you know better than to criticize me on this forum, and adding another bird to the flock is different from bringing home TWO greys, my man. Besides us women have to stick together thru thick and thin and you are skidding on thin ice at the moment. So you back off for a bit and put your dukes aside, so you want to tango or do the two step?

{Emotions-00020060}

Guest briansmum

LOL you guys! i agree with judy though, adding another bird is different that getting two at once, let alone two greys :P

you are right though i am talking myself into it, except now i am completely torn bewteen a goffins, a sun and thanks to tari a quaker, they are all such wonderful birds i just want them all (and if i have my way one day i will ;) ) but just one more for now lol. i think i am leaning towards the sun as there is a rehome avaliable very close to me and she sounds lovely, i have emailed the "seller" :pinch: with a bunch of questions and am awaiting a reply.

Guest briansmum

this is the original ad

"SKY! 1yr old. Had since 16wks, hand reared since birth. Likes to shower/bath/wash up/sing with you,gives kisses & will eat from mouth/hand & plate.Likes to play with water! Can say a few words and is trying more! Sad to see her go but genuine reason. No time Wasters please "

and this is the reply i got this morning to my bombardment of questions

"Yes, she is a lovely bird. She is more attached to me, but that's because I spend more time with her than Rob does but she is fine with anyone she comes in contact with. However when we have gone on holiday in the past she has been to Rob's parents and she's was excellent with them, she was let out everyday, sat at watched TV with his mum etc. We got her from a breeder which was recommended by a friend of mine who has an African grey. She has been to the vets once since we have had her that was about 10 months ago, she had a full check up and we were told that she was fine. We have to sell Sky because I am now pregnant and Rob is working a lot of extra hours now and when the baby does arrive all our attentions will be directed to our child and I don't think that would be fair on such a great and loving bird. It will break my heart when she goes but I've got to think of my child now"

she sounds like a lovely bird and so sad she is yet another that is being let go due to a baby. i have asked to arrange a time i may visit her as she is 6 miles down the road!

Sky sounds like a wonderful Sun Beccy.

I know there would not be a better owner than you for Sky. :-)

Keep us posted on your visit with Sky and how things went.

It almost sounds like your timing was spot on, to help this little guy find a loving, caring and permanent home!

Something more then likely has changed other then having a baby and she just does not like the bird as much anymore and is feeling guilty about it and want to "get rid" of the problem.

I have found that if someone wants something they find a way. She just doesn't want the bird or she would find a way.

Sorry but people that give up birds cause of a new baby really erk me. Would she give up the baby when she had a new one? NO! she would make it work.

So the baby excuse is just that an excuse not a reason.

Go have a look. The bird may just have a few minor problems. Maybe she didn't realize how messy it would be or loud.

There has got to be something else going on. Could be as simple as not enough research before she bought it. Or maybe it likes her husband to much now. Who knows but having a baby/child in the house is just a lame reason IMO to give up a bird.

At least I hope there is anouther reason I would hate for a person to raise a child that would give up a loved one just cause they take more effert to care for it then they did before.

And no it is not different it is still a living being.

Ok Ill stop now.B)

Guest briansmum

i agree tari, i think the baby excuse is excatly that, just an excuse. but still the bird sounds lovely and that is why i asked for a visit to make sure there are any problems, and if there are figure out what i can do. noise wouldn't bother me, nipping wouldn't bother me, and brian is the poop machine so bring that on too ;)

im wondering if they ever let her out because the lady said she is selling the cage too, and it's an XL macaw cage that stands about 6 foot tall. thats bigger than brians! i can't buy the cage too it wont fit in my house and i wouldn't have thought with regular out of cage time they would need one that big. what would you say a good size would be?