NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Looking for some advice for bringing a new 'zon in the house...

JDS5607

I came across an ad looking to rehome a 15 yr old Amazon. Long story short, I have fallen for this guy named "Gordon"... I know, how cute. Anyhow, I am really considering adopting him, as he seems very open to new people, and has a great history with one owner.

Anyway, a few months ago, I was thinking of adding another Grey to the family, but decided against it because I wasn't sure how Sully would take to it. I was asked by the lady who is adopting out Gordon if I wanted to bring Sully over tomorrow to see how they reacted. Is this a good idea? I know about diseases and all, but they wouldn't be making contact. Sully would stay in his carrier (which he feels comfortable in, even wanting to go for car rides in it, rather than without it). Any ideas?

One visit isn't gonna tell you anything as far as them liking or disliking each other. That takes a while and both parrots need to be in the same place on a permanent basis. They need plenty of time to get used to each other and 1 or 2 visits isn't gonna cut it.

Finding out if parrots will like each other before bringing one home is extremely difficult. If 2 are put together in one home, the visitor will be uncomfortable. Birds can't concentrate on each other except for long periods of time in which all the birds are in a permanent home. That's when a parrot can show off it's personality and in your situation, it would be difficult because the bird is a 15 yr old adult.

Most of the time, people simply get the bird because they want to. Them getting along isn't that important in the beginning. There's loads of things available to make sure that no problems occur. There's loads of people here that have multiple birds and many of those people will tell you that one bird doesn't get along with the other. On the other hand, it could be love at first sight.

I will tell you this----There's a bigger chance of 2 birds ( greys)disliking each other because they're the same species as opposed to 2 different species and that goes for all the outside wild birds too.

Who are the biggest sinners, the species which is the most aggressive towards each other?????

Hummingbirds

Thanks, Dave :)

Sully's comfort (as well as my other fids, but they don't seem to mind anyone but themselves) is number one to us. I wouldn't want to make him scared or nervous ( I understand initial jealousy is almost unavoidable)... Sigh, I'm hoping to take him tomorrow, and introduce them. This nice lady says that she wants the transition to be smooth, and is willing to meet with me (and Sully) as many times as we feel necessary :), So maybe we'll start the process and see what happens. Maybe they'll become best friends! ha, one can dream.

It seems to me like you already decided about adopting this amazon;-) As Dave said, a visit or two won't change or show much. Maybe it would be better for you to start thinking about an apropriate cage, toys you already have, food, vet visits (and the rest of the deal) and if it is not a problem to you... Well, you already know the answer;-)

Maybe you could invite the lady to you so she could see how you take care of your bird if she has any doubts..(?)

Why is she giving up the bird, anyway?

when i was visiting with kallie in her home before we could bring her home to our house i used my phone to film athena. i'd play those for kallie when i'd visit, so this way she could hear athena and see her. i did the same with athena, i'd film kallie then play it for her to hear kallie and see kallie. they both seemed interested in it when i'd play it for them. they still had their jealous moments (still do but not as often) and might always have them. but with the big size difference, we've still not let them both out at the same time. it's something we're considering, but it's going to be a while before it happens. we've only had kallie about 6 months so far. their cages are close to each other in the living room, so they interact all day, lol!!

• Haha 1

All of the additions to my flock have been a need for the new bird to find a permanent home. It's not whether they get along that matters so much, they may, they may never, but the important part is how you treat the existing residents when bringing home a new addition. That goes a long way in reducing the jealousy issues. I would never take the chance of letting the birds come together without extreme supervision. It took Yoshi almost 4 months to start behaving in a way that was appropriate with the other birds while everyone was out and that was after a 3 week wait to visit the vet, long conversations with Dixie, Beau and Morgan about the new addition to the existing flock, and hopes and prayers for the best when we did integrate the jungle with the new addition. Yoshi was my last addition. To date - Morgan (Amazon), Beau (Grey), Dixie (Grey) and Yoshi (Grey) tolerate each other. That to me is a great success. I never expected friendship between, I don't expect it will ever happen. Morgan and Beau will hang together, Dixie and Beau will hang together but never any other combination. Good luck and thank you for taking in an older parrot.

Robin

I had Corky my CAG from 9 weeks old and when she was 7 we rehomed a 11 year blue frond amazon and over time with supervised time out of their cage they do very well when out together and kind off do their own thing. It`s been 2 yrers and 10 months that Cricket has been with us and things are going very well with the two of them

I took my amazon jasper to see the 10 year old grey im getting on sunday,she went up to it lookes pluffed her feathers sat on my shoulder and carrtied on preening,jasper is bomb proof,but it will so diffnt when theyre in the same house,but i cant wait.If you feel its right,you must go for it.Good luck,and i hope you make the right decision.

steve

All three of my fids do not get along but they tolerate each other which is the best I could hope for, at least they are not going at each other intending to maim or kill, I think that is the best that any of us can hope for. It depends on how they are introduced and then dealt with every day and I can have all three of them out at the same time.

Jenn, I say go for it for it seems you really want this bird and good luck, be sure to share pics with us of course.

:) It sounds like you really want this Amazon. Although I can understand you wanting him to get along with your Sully. Believe me, if my parents' Amazon was still alive, I'd do whatever it would take to convince all parties (my parents and my husband, haha!) that the best place for him would be with our flock. Because I sincerely believe it would be. But that's beside the point now...

Every flock dynamic is going to have its pluses and its 'issues', I think. Ours is made up of four, presumably all male, and all different species. They generally get along, even though Marcus does prefer to keep the smaller birds at a certain personal distance most of the time. The only exception to our 'happy family' is that Tybalt (our IRN) likes to pick on poor little Bunsen (the cockatiel) whenever they are allowed to have out-of-cage time together. In the beginning, Tybalt got along rather well with Bunsen, but once he met our Beaker they became best buddies and, presumably, it is an exclusive club. (Tybalt doesn't go for blood, he's just big and irritating and pulls on Bunsen's tail feathers a lot, making him scream.) So, generally I just let Bunsen out while he and Marcus are in another room with me, and the greenies can fly around together in the birdroom. Or I let Bunsen out with Marcus and Beaker in the birdroom while Tybalt is caged and eating a treat or something.

My point is, even if there are some issues for your Sully and this Amazon (Gordon, right?) should they eventually become flockmates, you will probably have pretty easy solutions available to you in the beginning to deal with it. And even with some initial 'melding time' that might be a bit bumpy, over the weeks/months/years they may mellow to each other and become more tolerable of one another, if not friends. And parrots enjoy the company of other parrots, generally speaking, if not in face-to-face interactions than even simply as a presence. They might not ever get to the point of wanting to preen each other, but they'll at least have that other 'body' on the other side of the room to keep things interesting while their human flock might be gone sometimes...

I don't meant to ramble, sorry! In any even, please just let us know how this all turns out! :D

I have three parrots, Ana Grey my 3 year old TAG I have had since she was 4 months. She is the Queen of the roost and very aggressive. Louie the BF Amazon, is also 3 years old, speaks Hindi and is just learning English. Louie has been part of the flock for 11 months. He is usually just a laid back clown except when it comes to Ana Grey or my new baby, Sterling Gris, a 5 month old CAG, who has been part of the family for one month. Sterling is larger than either of the older two and will stand his ground if they come after him, which they both do as well as each other. That's right, none of them get along at all. They nip and fly at each other. I live alone and am retired so they are out most of the day with me in constant supervision. I still have high hopes that they will some day get along. If they start bickering which they do all through the day, I just cage the most aggressive culprit (which can be anyone of them) and take a rest!

I will say, I love my zon. Louie is a blessing and so much fun to watch "kill" his toys. To me, it is worth the diligence I have to have, to have the three kinds of parrots I really want!

@ Morana- She's going through a divorce, and as a result, has to have two jobs to support her and her children, which leaves less time for Gordon.

Luckily (for Gordon), she hasn't started that second job quite yet, but is starting in a few weeks, so she has some time to find him a really great home. He is shy, but non-aggressive. He seems like a really great bird. As most of you know, we have three cats, and she has them as well as a dog, and Gordon couldn't care less about them, which is good :)

Gordon is a DYH... and a beautiful one. He has no plucked feathers, and is vey clean and well groomed. I think she mentioned his nails and beak may need a trimming, but I can't remember. Anyway, thank you all for your great advice. I understand they don't need to get along, but most tolerate each other. Sully is out for most of the day, and Gordon is used to being out mostly in the afternoon and evenings. Sully is getting really good at flying since his flights grew back in, and Gordon looks fully flighted, so the worst COULD happen if they were both out at the same time. Now, to convince my husband that Gordon is 'the one'. :) We're all hoping to get together over the next few days, soooo, we'll see!

I will add that we recently added an 9-10 year old Amazon to our flock of a Quaker and a CAG. Our CAG learned to say "Pancho" within an hour and shortly after put together, on his own, "I love Pancho." Pancho has been home for two months and neither parrot has had any interaction with the other, but Pancho observes Brutus constantly. Brutus is a very active clown. I believe they like each other even though neither one has flown to the other. I think Brutus will get Pancho out of his safety zone (safety zon- haha). Both birds are out of their cages all day - under supervision. Pancho LOVES showers and I think that has helped Brutus start to enjoy the process. Even though there hasn't been direct interaction I believe there it so much going on between them that is not verbal. I believe they are good for each other. So I hope my experience helps you make a decision. It is, after all, only one family's story.

I had the Amazon first and he is adjusting to Quinn quite well. Quinn is watching everything that goes on between Scooter and I. Since Amazons are less shy about new things, I let Quinn see him do it first. Today Quinn watched him take a shower babbeling happily, while he got drenched, me too, I had to stand too close with the door open so that Quinn could see Scooter. I am hoping that Quinn will be willing to try soon. Amazons are a completely different experience, less cerebral, more happy go lucky. Scooter doesn't sing much but hums along to a song he likes and whistles too. After his shower he went through his whole repitoire, including my favorite, the old lady on the telephone. He came, a rescue bird, with that one. He doesn't do it as often.

Scooter is a Dbl Yellow Head and they do more singing that the others. He truly loves music and the shop vac.

Casey

Well, I don't think Gordon is going to be for us. The lady seems to have found another home for Gordon :( Ah well, guess he's just not for us... We're still looking!

Sorry to hear that; especially since you've seemed so eager about it. But trust me, there will always (for sure!) be a need for a new forever home to some birdie in need. You just need to pick one out;-)