NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

There's a cag in my house!!

CeeCeeNY

I heeded none of the warnings and bought an "old bird." Yes all the babies were available and adorable and probably would've bonded to me... but I made the mistake of "just going to look" at an 8 year old male :eek: He let me scritch his head and neck, then he bit me :o He was in a small cage (that he was sharing w/ anotherCAG), in a tiny room with one tiny window.. he seemed perfectly happy but somehow I thought "I could give him a better life." He was sold pretty cheap to me because he "can't talk & nobody wants a mute parrot." One the car ride home, he whistled a bit, did a few "boops" & "beeps." I stopped to get myself something to eat & drink and when I was sitting there taking the cap off my coconut water, he came up to the carrier door and looked very interested. I poured a bit of coconut water into the cap and opened the door.. he lapped it up like a little puppy:) But then I gasped, CAN THEY EVEN HAVE COCONUT WATER??? There are no coconuts in Africa! Then I stared at him waiting for him to start sputtering & stumbling like a dying Bugs Bunny.. but he just kept staring back at me like "take a picture you weirdo!" He also ate a cashew, some beans & spinach wrap from my burrito, some banana, some fruit roll up and the seeds his owner put in the carrier. We're home now... he's in his deluxe apartment.. he wants out of the cage... how long do I wait before letting him out? And does anyone know if having two different colored eyes means he's sick? His left eye is a normal pale grey/white but his other eye is orange/amber... I gotta find a vet asap. OH MY GOD! There's a Grey in my dining room and I think I love him!

I drink A LOT of this stuff, he seems to like it as much as I do... is this a safe treat for him??

Real Coconut Water

Our coconut water is a product that varies from crop to crop because it is ALL NATURAL. We use the best young coconuts to give you the flavor you have come to love. Our young coconuts are truly tender and sometimes may yield water that contain fine traces of pulp that naturally tend to clump & jell. Just shake well before drinking & know that you are enjoying what Mother Nature intended!

Ingredients: Natural Coconut Water

Nutrition Facts:
 Serving Size: 1 Bottle (9.5 fl.oz./280 ml) Amount Per Serving: Calories 50, Calories from Fat 0, Total Fat 0 g (0%), Saturated Fat 0 g (0%), Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg (0%), Sodium 42 mg (2%), Potassium 600 mg (17%), Total Carbohydrate 10 g (3%), Dietary Fiber 0 g (0%), Sugar 9 g, Protein 1 g, Magnesium 9%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 4%, Iron 2%

*Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Congrats on your new friend! We adopted Marcus at 8 years old, too, and he is just the light of our lives now... (Shh, don't tell the other birdies and pets that, haha!)

And just an FYI, one of the treat mixes I buy online from a reputable "bird store" has raw almonds, dried cranberries, and dried coconut in it--unsweetened, of course! So if parrots can have dried coconut, I'm sure they can have fresh coconut, and so I'm sure they can have some coconut water. ;) But until you read more about it online or hear from someone else more knowledgeable on the topic, perhaps you'd want to keep it in moderation, like a treat but not a 'staple' food.

Good thing you rescued that CAG, and hes at home with you. Ive seen other people give their birds much worse than that so I guess as long as he likes the coco water, keep it coming. I wanna see the pics too. Congratulations!

Congrats!!!:-D I think it is great you adopted a bird that needed better and forever home:-D What name are you going to give your birdie? Can we get some pictures? pretty please:-)

About that water you've been giving him...It says it has sugar in it so consumption must be limited. It is not pure coconut water. It has additives.

Congratulations! What a wonderful choice you made of giving this adult 8 year old grey a good and loving home.

Coconut meat and water are fine. My grey loves coconut and lavishes every bite when he gets it. He also drinks the coconut water which I give to him when I empty it out. I may be mistaken, but perhaps the sugar listed on the ingredients is actually the natural "Sugars" contained in most all fruits? You could ask the manufacturer by looking their website up.

I am looking forward to hearing a lot more about him and seeing some photos when you get a chance. :)

Thanks so much for opening your heart and home for an older bird and it may turn out to be one of the best things you have done for he seems like a sweetheart, just needed the right person to give him a chance, who cares if he doesn't talk as he has so much more going for him. I look forward to hearing a lot more about this grey in the coming days, weeks and months, heck even years.

CeeCeeNy I know some ignorant people give the birds alcohol, coffee, and cigarettes, (trust me I know some jerk that raised his TAG like that) so im sure that coco water is great!!! I saw the pics, hes GREAT! Just read as much as you can here as youll learn so much on how to take care of your new love.