NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Diagnosis for Neo

Barbara2

Many of you know that my one year old TAG, Neo died in June. I took him for a necropsy and have been waiting and waiting for results. I called again today and was told that he died of acute herpes virus. Hopefully I will get the full report today. I have no idea how he could have contracted this virus since he has not been around any other birds other than the two I have owned for 17 years and Neo was with me for 8 1/2 months.

That disease starts off as Pacheco's Disease and quickly graduates to Herpes Virus. The most common causes are contaminated food or water or contact with contaminated feces. Unfortunately, the prognosis is bad. If you decide to get another bird, make sure the living quarters that he lived are disinfected thoroughly. Get new bowls, new toys, new perches. Disinfect your other bird's quarters. It's possible that they can get it. You won't see it happening. The airborne particles can remain for a while. I knew a woman who lost 5 birds because she did nothing after the first 2 birds died. She just didn't know the procedure.

Use Neo as a learning experience. Better safe than sorry.

Edited by Dave007

It's hard to say. It may have been at the breeder's home. He may have gotten it indirectly. He may have gotten it from others in a clutch. It's a disease in which some birds can be carriers and never suffer from it.Normally, when a vet diagnoses it they can't give a reason why it happened. Don't know why necropsy results took so long. It can be spotted easily because the first area it hits is the liver but anyway, it more than likely had nothing to do with anything you did. Sorry about what happened.

Thank you. I appreciate any information I can get. Caring for my animals is as important to me as caring for my children. I did get rid of the cage. There are a few items that I kept but I have washed them thoroughly. I first ran them through the dishwasher with vinegar, then I hand washed them with vinegar and today I rewashed them with bleach water. If that isn't sufficient, I'll throw those things out and replace them.

Thank you. I appreciate any information I can get. Caring for my animals is as important to me as caring for my children. I did get rid of the cage. There are a few items that I kept but I have washed them thoroughly. I first ran them through the dishwasher with vinegar, then I hand washed them with vinegar and today I rewashed them with bleach water. If that isn't sufficient, I'll throw those things out and replace them.

Sounds to me klike you did the good job, especially with the bleach.That can act like a very heavy duty disinfectant and germ killer. It'll kill anything. If you've just used more bleach on some things, let the items dry thoroughly and then wash with any dish washer liquid, rinse thoroughly and let dry thoroughly. Then repeat with plain water. Let dry thoroughly. That should do it. You really didn't have to get rid of the cage but you would have had to follow the same procedure on it as above.

Everyday we live a little but learn alot. Remember, IT WASN"T YOUR FAULT.

Vinegar is good but it won't kill off air borne diseases. It's basically used for regular cleaning of a cage.

Edited by Dave007

Hi Barbara :)

So sorry to hear about your loss, and I'm glad you got a few answers (as confusing as they may be).

I wonder if it's possible to test a bird that is still alive for the virus? It may make you feel better to have your other two tested (just in case) if it is possible to do the testing. I know with many tests on birds though, it's impossible to test for diseases in live birds :(

Hope you heal soon from your loss, and can move forward with your flock :) It's amazing how fragile their systems are.

Good luck to you and your new baby too!

Hi Barbara :)

So sorry to hear about your loss, and I'm glad you got a few answers (as confusing as they may be).

I wonder if it's possible to test a bird that is still alive for the virus? It may make you feel better to have your other two tested (just in case) if it is possible to do the testing. I know with many tests on birds though, it's impossible to test for diseases in live birds :(

Hope you heal soon from your loss, and can move forward with your flock :) It's amazing how fragile their systems are.

Good luck to you and your new baby too!

There is a test for that disease. It's basically aimed at carriers and the only end result is that if any birds prove to be carriers, they need to be completely to be totally from other birds permanently. That's all that can be done. There is no cure.

What's so confusing about the answers?

Edited by Dave007

You can always count on Dave to give you good advice and I would give the house a thorough cleaning before you bring your new little one home just to be on the safe side, its so sad that Neo had such a short life but things happen for a reason and now you have a new baby coming home soon and I know you can't wait until that day comes.

You shouldn't have had to call to get the results of the necropsy as they should have let you know when they found out especially since it was something that could be passed on to another bird if the proper precautions weren't taken.

And this is my next concern. Could my Hahn's or Sennie be a carrier? Do I need to get them tested? I've had them for 17 years but could one of them have been a carrier all along? Could Neo have had it from his breeder but not succumbed until he was stressed by us being out of town? So many questions and no answers.

It is possible that one is a carrier and the only way to know is to have them tested for it, frankly I think that is what I would do just to ease my mind especially since you have a new one coming soon, just my opinion if I was you.

I agree and it has to be done. I just feel bad. This will be the third time for the Hahn's and the second time for the Sennie since Neo died that we have traumatized them with the vet. :)

The more I read about this virus the more I cannot believe that this was the cause. I'm still going to get the other two birds tested but they are part of the reason that I can't believe it. I can't believe that both of them can be carriers. If one is a carrier, the other should have contracted the virus and died as well. They share a cage with a divider down the middle but it is still one tray below them. I have had these two birds for 17 years. They have not been around any other birds. Neo died on a Tuesday. I had been out of town since the Friday before that but they were not being boarded. A pet sitter was coming to my house to give them food and water. If she somehow brought it to my house (which I don't see as a possibility because she doesn't have birds of her own) the other two should have been affected as well.

In looking back over the weeks before Neo died, he probably was showing symptoms of something and I misread them. He was losing some feathers but I attributed that to molting. In looking back, the one thing that was odd is that there were none of the downy feathers. They were just the inch to an inch and a half wing or body feathers. The other thing that happened is that he would no longer cuddle with me in my chair at night. Any time I would head in the direction of my chair he would fly off in the other direction. I figured he just didn't want to cuddle anymore. He was still eating and drinking but his other behaviors (looking back on it) lead me to believe that he didn't die so suddenly but that he had something else going on that I didn't recognize. I still do not have the report from the vet and I'm very frustrated with that part. If he does believe that Neo died from something so deadly serious, he should have notified me the moment he got the results. If he's just guessing, I'd like to know that too. But it will now be another week (at least) as he is off to the annual conference in Seattle.

Sorry, I'm just getting madder as I think about all this and needed to vent.

You are making total sense to me and I would be asking the same questions. It all comes down to the report after the necropsy was done, you should have been notified immediately as you have two other birds in your house and especially if it was something so deadly serious as Dave said it is.

Neo was exhibiting symptoms but they were all things that could be contributed to normal events so lets not go down that path of blaming yourself for any one of us would have done the same thing.

I too feel it is unlikely your two are carriers but you have to know for sure so the test for them has to be done. I know I would get some answers from the vet when he comes back to his office or else, he owes you some answers and maybe it will help to find out how Neo got that disease.

I do feel for you Barbara for you have gone thru a terrible time but maybe some answers can help you heal from his loss.

• 2 weeks later...

On Tuesday I took my other two birds, Paco and Rocky, to the vet who did the necropsy on Neo. He said that they tested for a number of things and that the test for the herpes virus had come back positive. After hearing that my birds were not at a sitter but that the pet sitter was coming to my house he felt that Neo brought this with him when he came to my house. I did not get him from a breeder but rather from someone who takes in birds from other breeders, completes the hand feeding and weaning process and sells them. Anyway, Rocky and Paco both tested negative so my house is now clean and ready for Egan whenever he is ready. And you guys were all correct. I didn't do anything to cause his death.

I really can't express how relieved I am. I have already bonded so much with Egan and was scared I would have to give him up. Giving up my other two was not an option. I can also let myself off the hook. I feel really good and you guys, all of you, have helped me and supported me and given me the strength to get through it. Thank you all!

• 4 weeks later...

I am so sorry to have missed your posts while I was away. It is so heartbreaking for your loss of Neo and the fear that your other two may be compromised. I am glad there is a test that could ease your mind and give them both a clean bill of health. That has been my greatest fear since losing Juno and Kopi was that our home is tainted and we can't have any test to give us closure. It has to give you immense relief to know your parrots are okay and that you have the opportunity to bring Egan home and heal your broken heart.