NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Advice/Help With Wheezing Grey:

Pi_1

Our vet told us that Greys needing baths is a myth (the real avian vet). The vet said people that bathe them usually overdo it and it removes needed oils from their skin. She said that as long as she preens herself and splashes around in her water dish now and then there is no additional bathing needed (unless a situation like this happens where they get filthy). The vet told us it was just causing her undue stress to try and get her to take a bath and not to bother - that feather plucking can result. So we've never made her take baths.......she splashes in her water once in awhile but that's the extent of it. Is this incorrect?

She absolutely despises anything wet and screeches/flaps/twists/turns/falls down and acts like you're punishing her if you get her wet.......

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, and yes, I'd be happy to post a video. She's among the smartest Greys I've ever seen. We got really lucky - I was hoping for a Grey that talked a lot and she was just perfect. She said her first word well before 6 months of age. She now has a 200+ word vocab and does......geez......lets just say a whole catalog of animal noises on command. She can do the noise and tell you what it is, hear a noise and tell you what it is, or hear the name of an animal and then do the noise. You guys would probably get a kick out of seeing her in action. She picks up a new noise in about 10-15 minutes of working with her usually - the animal associated with it usually takes a bit longer. It's funny too because we teach her the noises by doing them ourselves - so some aren't all that similar to the real animal. But we'll be watching TV and an animal will make a noise and she'll exclaim "that's a .......". And she'll be right, too, but the real noise doesn't sound all that much like ours. I don't know how she recognizes it! I watch ESPN a lot and she does the ESPN jingle too, LoL.

She also knows the names of all her food items and asks for what she wants at that particular moment. She's VERY fond of peanuts and cheese right now. Before that it was Cheeze-It crackers and before that Fruit Loops and the crust from my toast, LoL. I know she's feeling better because she's back to being a little chatterbox and begging for peanuts. But anyway, yes, I'll make a little video and post it in the next few days so you can see her and how she's doing.

Oh, and during football season she watches games with me and if someone breaks a long play she yells "Go, go, go, go!" along with me. My fiance thought it was SO funny when she started doing that......

Oh man, I wrote the whole thing and then I accidentally closed the grey forum page:-S

I don't know what exactly do you mean when you say splashing so I can't comment on whether is it enough or not. I didn't mean you should, in any way, force your bird. That is definitely stress. My Zak didn't care for bathing for a long time and that is/was my fault. Because of it he was nervous and overpreening. We came to our agreement (taking a bath in the livingroom -for now-) very gradually and now he enjoys bathing, doesn't preen too much and after bathing he has such a blue kind of glow on his feathers. He is very hadsome and itch free fella;-)

My vet sent me a short email today that she has such a lousy internet conection that she can not open the link I sent her. She asked wether your birdie has eaten/drank, got an IV and commented that it is good you moved her out of the room where the carpet was. She asked what did Betsy recieve to ease her breathing... I said Betsy is better and that she can read the thread when she gets back (which wont be that soon).

Splashing = getting under her wings and her feet wet, then getting her beak wet and preening with it basically. Not really a bath but she gets a bit damp.

Just wanted to let you know Betsy is doing great today and back to her old self. Had her out to play a few times today and she's so happy and affectionate, LoL. She seems back to normal and the only lingering thing is that her little leg seems a bit sore still from the several IM injections they gave her. She also broke the flight feathers off one of her wings somewhere along the way, probably when they were giving her X-Rays. She doesn't seem bothered, though, and she can't fly anyway, so......

Your fluid intervention was a fortunate thing as we know dehydration is what most often does them in in these near death issues. You are so fortunate to have saved her thank heavens for your training and the availability of fluids. I love a happy ending!!

Thanks! It's hard to get a good photo of her in the cage since she's always playing on her swing, LoL! She LOVES that thing. She actually wears them out so much we have to replace them every couple months!

• 1 month later...

Did you try to call Purdue University Vet ER? Here is the #1-866-785-7302. They have been helpful to me the few times I had to use them. If you call they will get your # and have an Exotics Vet call you back within 15min or less. If you don't hear from them in 15 they tell you to call the 866# back. I have always been contacted within minutes when I call. The vet on call is located in Valparaiso IN. I don't know how far you are from there but at least they will answer and ask questions over the phone. They seem to not be all about coming in and spending $. I'm not saying it is cheap just not as $ hungry as the ones you spoke about. It was $180 just to go in then additional charges for anything that needed to be done. Even if it is too far for you to go in an emergency the phone call could be of some help. Sorry I am giving this info so late. I just now read this whole story looking for health problems that may be similar to what my bird is currently going through. I am so glad Betsy is doing good. I know how terrifying a sick bird is. Thank God you knew how to give IV fluids. I also hope the vet you were talking about isn't my vet. I have been treated well there so far. I sure don't want someone practicing on my pets! I hope you have found a reliable vet near you and if not I hope this # helps should an emergency ever arise again.