NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Kind of a Survey...

JDS5607

I'm writing an article on bird ownership, and I wanted to include a "Most Important Things You didn't know you needed to Know" about owning large parrots. Most people know the basic stuff... but I've learned so much being on the forum, I wanted to see what information or things y'all learned that you never even thought about before coming to the forum? Ya know, kinda things you only know because it happened to someone else. Any ideas what to include? I would love to include these things in my article :)

The one hard lesson is that if anything changes, go to the vet. Even if you *think* it's normal changes, let the vet reassure you. There were some things that Neo was doing that were different. I attributed it to turning one, molting, normal growing pains. In hindsight, I think he was showing syptoms that I wasn't picking up on and he died too young. I still don't know what the cause was (I need to call that vet who did the necropsy and harrass him for results!) but I think if I had taken Neo in when he first started acting "weird" I might have saved him. If in doubt, call the vet.

This is something I feel like a lot of people should know when they consider bringing a parrot into the home. "Your parrot will become your newest family member and should be treated as such". I would feel a lot better knowing that anyone approaching the idea of owning a parrot considers the gravity of taking care of the life of one of these beautiful and intelligent creatures.

ElvenKing, I think you're right. When I brought Sully home, everyone was floored when I told them the costs of him, his vet visits, cage, etc... and they all viewed him as 'just a bird'... He really is a family member and I couldn't imagine treating him as 'just a bird'. :)

Barbara, Agreed!! Better to be safe than sorry!! Sorry about Neo, dear... thank you again for sharing his story :)

Hm. Well, I don't know if this is the type of thing you're looking for, but before we even adopted our Beaker (Quaker parrot), I read just about every parrot book I could get my hands on at the time. Unbeknownst to me, being slightly 'older' (mid-nineties, probably) they had some training protocols which I have come to feel are a bit drastic. Visiting here online in particular (in addition to personal experience garnered since then) has helped me realize that to wear "kid gloves" when dealing with your fids is a much better idea. They are all very attuned to us and, if we can read their behavior and mannerisms better, it will probably deflect a lot of conflict to begin with.

The books from the mid-nineties (1992 for example) are out dated. Still worth a read so you get as much info as possible but coming on forums is the best way to get the latest methods/training & advise.

As somebody has already said, they are a family member & not just a bird, unfortunately that is how a lot of people perceive them as just birds. When doing the press articles for Murphy's great escape the journalists didn't quite understand the bond we have & were quite amazed at how important Murphy is to our family. I could tell they just thought of him as a bird, an exotic one but still just a bird.

One thing I didn't know was that you shouldn't let them in your mouth & also about Aspergillosis, also the toxic fumes from non stick pans & plugin air fresheners. I think these are some of the most important things a new owner needs to know about

I think one thing I have learned that people considering a large parrot should know is that the parrot will be a HUGE presence in the household. It is not a creature that will exist in the background, to be brought out when you are ready. Not that I expected that, but I didn't appreciate what a huge presence and factor in the day to day activities of the house he would be. As Elvenking noted, bringing a large parrot into the household is less like acquiring a pet and more like bringing another person into the family.

I didn't anticipate how much i would fuss and worry over him. Is he getting enough "out" time? Does he have enough toys and activities? Taking care of a parrot is a lot different than taking care of a cat or dog. It goes far beyond ensuring they get proper food, clean water, exercise, and safe, comfortable housing. You have also got to be much more concerned with their mental and emotional well being, especially with a grey parrot.

Like Paul I didn't know that teflon, air freshener and candles could kill a bird. Believe it or not but I also didn't know about feather plucking. My birds never plucked and I had never seen one that did before. Another thing I didn't know was what types of food could be poisonous to them. I didn't know that our birds see us as their flock. And didn't know anything about training and positive reinforcement. In other words I didn't know lots of important things that I should have learnt before getting a parrot. lol But I learnt a lot since coming to the forum and reading books and articles. I think it's never too late and everyone should do it before getting a parrot. It's essential for their well being.

The biggest surprise for me was that What You See is NOT What You Get. Birds change!

I guess I assumed my birds wouldn't change much. I got the first one (a lovebird) when he was a baby who just wanted to nestle. Then I got the second one (a 13-year-old Amazon) and after a month or two, I was thinking "Wow, this is SO much easier than I expected." She was no trouble at all. She was so well behaved, and a real sweetheart. So I took the plunge and put a deposit down on a baby Grey. Not long after that, the Amazon got a little more comfortable and started letting her true colors show. That's when she started flying around and eating moldings and wrecking my house. The lovebird, meanwhile, had blossomed into a smart, stubborn, crafty little pain-in-the-butt.

Now Simon the Grey is here, and he's a real sweetheart and very well-behaved. But now I know that'll all change as he gets older.

Before long it'll be like having three winged toddlers!

I did not realise I would have to give up two of my favorite foods, avocado and chocolate! Misty insists on sharing all my food so all I eat has to be parrot safe which is probably good for me as well but if I eat the forbidden foods I have to do it out of his sight and I just can't stand the guilt:eek:

Steve n Misty

Edited by Mistyparrot

Two things: I had a parrot before and didn't realize the importance of regular trips outside in the sunshine. He broke his leg which I should have attributed to low calcium because of lack of sunshine, which in retrospect was most certainly the case. I now make sure to get the guys out most days of the week for at least fifteen minutes each time. Also, parrots are a tremendous amount of work, cleaning, socializing, snuggling, and playing with them requires a lot of time. I had no idea! Much more time than for a cat or dog. I wouldn't trade though.

Zoom, your experience with a rehomed Amazon is similar to mine, only backwards. We got Brutus first, and because he is so sweet, we rehomed a 9-10 year old Amazon. We have had Pancho for almost two months, and he has been unfailingly sweet, docile, polite, eager to please, and obedient. I am REALLY looking forward to a freer more fun-loving amazon. Not that he isn't awesome now, but I feel he would enjoy life more if he felt like he had the freedom to express his true-self. This sweet boy may be his true self, but I don't think it is. I will keep you posted.

JD- I agree with the previous replies, in that, a bird is definitely not a pet, in the regular sense, and more like adding a toddler to the mix.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that feeding them a high quality diet of organic fruits and vegetables, with high quality grains, beans, and occasional meat, cheese and nuts is time consuming! Between shopping, preparation, cooking, freezing, and planning, my birds eat better than we do.

This is a great thread!! Love reading this!

What should a new parent now:

1) first, he would have to know that he is becoming a parent rather than a pet owner.

2) Good nutrition is veeeeeery important if you wanna have a healthy bird.

3) Exercise is very important for their health.

4) What does clipping mean for a bird-mentally and physically, especially early in physical development.

5) regular sunbathing or UV lamp and what can the lack of it cause

6) regullar bathing and what can the lack of it cause

7) constant mental stimulation (toys, interaction) and what can the lack of it cause

8) training-benefits of positive reinforcment and (trick) training for the well being of the bird

9) clean and humid air and what can the lack of those cause

10) sexual maturity and sexual behaviour-what should be avoided and why (touching some parts of their bodies,..)

11) parrot is a loud/vocal companion

12) you have to rearrange whole house so it would be a parrot safe. That means from cookware to various toxic plants.

13)great importantce of finding a good AVIAN vet and importance of check ups

14) how much will the apropraiate cage, food, toys, vet check ups,...cost

15) what will you do with your parrot when you leave for vacation?

16) musn't let your parrot be unsupervised with other animals or children around.

17) another thing to expect: a honeymoon period

18) beak and nail grooming. How to solve a related issue and what can mean for your bird if you do it yourself and something goes wrong or if you neglect it

19) basic knowledge in the event of emergency from a blood because of a broken feather to what only the vet should try to take care of+emergency kit.

20) who would you leave your bird with in case you couldn't take care of him/her any longer

21) constant education about your parrot (books, dvd, forum, magazines, vet,..)

22)why it would be wise to adopt only a full weaned grey, especially if you are a first time owner

23) parrot is a child that needs a FOREVER home

24) must have a carrier for your bird

25) always be aware of your windows/doors; are they open, stowe turned on and other hazards that can be lethal to your companion

26) respect your bird for it is a intelligent being and has its own needs and wishes. Don't force her/him, beat her/him, yell at her/him and the reasons why it shouldn't be done.

27) how to prepare you own helthy food for your companion+what food/beverages are safe

28) safe coloring, safe materials, size,... for toys and use around your bird

IMO, these are just a few things that should be mandatory for a potential new paront to KNOW in order to be alowed to take the bird home. I wish I knew (before I got Zak) the tenth of it what I know now:-(

Edited by Morana