NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

He is afraid of me :(

mabdewn

While it is sweet to have your bird devoted to only you, it does the bird a disservice by shrinking his potential world. If Charlie were mine I would try to socialize him more with other people. Take him out to see the sights. Does your wife try to become friends with Charlie? Ideally, your bird will still favor you, but will be cordial with your wife and any visitors.

He doesn't do this around visitors, and even the first 2 weeks my wife was here, he didn't freak out. I have tried to expose Charlie to people as good as I could.Resulting that he is not shy to step on strangers' hands or take food from them. But after 2 weeks with my wife here something changed. My only conclusion is that he understood her stay as a visit like other people, but when he stay extended he sort of realised, that she was not going anywhere :(

It's jealousy. <Snip> While this made me very sad, it also made me realize how complex these creatures really are and perhaps their world is not as simple as we would like to think it is.

Your spot on. Their emotions and reactions to them are as complex as a humans. I have the same relationship with Dayo. When it is just me in the house, He wants scratches and time with me. The minute my wife walks in the door or gets up in the morning, it's all about her and frets over where she is at all times if he is not perched on her shoulder or sitting on her lap.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. Things are getting better, but he only seems to come out at night. I can sit with him like old times. During the day he will be inside his cage or standing on top of it, and will avoid stepping up at all costs. Is this normal behaviour?