NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Crop issue with rescue Grey

eschmit04

I recently began fostering a rescue african grey. That said I know little of its history other than the other owner was not able to care for it. It is a female and is about 10-12 years old. She has been plucking for some time atleast the last few months. I noticed that her crop seems to be quite swollen. At first i was not sure if she had just eaten but It does not seem to be reducing. I also think this could be why she is plucking... after reading about all of the possible causes I have made a few calls to find a reliable avian vet.

My question is there anything I can do myself other than get her to a vet? I have read about a few treatments that people recommended but I wanted to come here for your advice. I can upload pics if needed. She is still eating and has a little bit of a loose stool. but I have been monitor food and water intake.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Your situation definitely calls for a vet visit. There's a number of problems that need to be ruled out only by a vet. You would need to give the vet specifics about your bird.

obstuction--growth--infection.

It's not wise for us to give out advice or opinions concerning your bird's condition. We can't rule those things out.

Dave is right a Vet visit is the only way to find the cause as there are so many things that could be causing the problem. Bacterial or yeast infection, hardware disease, slow crop or a growth or injury and one more thing sometimes a bored bird that has had to entertain it's self may learn to swallow air and keep that crop inflated. Hope it is a simple fix and kuddos to you for stepping up for this girl.

Edited by Greywings

Sorry I havent posted in a while. I did take June to the vet and she was released with a clean bill of health. I have modified her diet a little bit and that seemed to clear up the crop issue comepletely. Her crop now empties daily and does not appear swolen or backed up any longer. I have not whitnessed her plucking in a while she preens pretty often but I dont see nearly as many feathers in her cage. Her stool has also since become more regular and normal. I think she is coming around from her previous care. She does seem to me to be a pretty nervouse bird. I read the sticky on body language (very great for newbies like me) she does the body shake at times, as well as sometimes walks away and does not want to be held (I never force her) she also craps more often when out and seems to be related to stress.

Can anyone help with the plucking and nervousness? Should I not interact with her as much for now? Should I make them more brief???

I could really use any input form expierenced keepers. I have read a lot and there is little use advice I have founhd so far. Lots of possible casuse but not many answers. Thanks in advance for your help and advice. Doing the best I can. I would love to nurse this girl back to a healthy happy FEATHERED grey:-)

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Ed!

Just wanted to say... IMO your Grey will probably stop being nervous and maybe even stop plucking when she'll feel safe and secure. You'll acomplish that by not pusing her; she needs time to adjust. Just practise noticing her body language and going with her pace and you'll do fine. If you notice your presence makes her nervous, back up a bit. When you show up or come up to her offer a treet. Make her associate you with something positive when she sees you..

PS: I'm very happy she is healthy:-)

In my experience once they start plucking it is hard to get them to stop. I'd give her lots of toys (not like blocks and things, but stuff like popsicle sticks that are easily destroyed) to keep her attention on something else.

As far as keeping away from her.......how does she react to you? Is she excited to see you and come out of the cage or does she prefer to be alone at this point? If she's excited to come out and see you I'd advise spending MORE time with her. Plucking can start from stress, sickness...but also boredom. If she's apprehensive I'd take things at her pace. Don't force her to do anything but visit her often and chat with her and pet her through the cage if she tolerates it.

Does she have a swing, by the way? Our Grey loves her swing and spends most of her time on it. If not you might consider it to give her another activity while in the cage other than plucking.

Is she in a high traffic area? Greys should be in the living area of the house so they can be involved and kept busy in daily activities, but if she's near a doorway where people walk past a lot it might be stressing her.

The nervousness itself is to be expected. She's in a new home with new people. Who knows how the previous owner took care of her, also. It will take time but I'm sure she'll come around and grow to enjoy your company. The plucking on the other hand may continue, but as the last couple posts have outlined, there ARE ways to try and stop or minimize it.

As far as using the bathroom more when out - that's normal in my experience and doesn't mean anything other than she is more active. You can potty train Greys quite easily, so when she's more comfortable with you perhaps start doing that to give you guys a way to interact in a positive way. Our Grey tells me when she needs to go to the bathroom and knows to only go in her cage or on a mat we keep out for her.

I too had a plucker/wing destroyer that was the result of a serious health issue (burnt crop/aspiration pneumonia). He also had major anxiety issues. Dr. Dave here suggested I quit telegraphing my anxiety and accept Beau for who he was, a beautiful, loving Grey. That said, I found that advice was more helpful than anything else. His nervousness seemed less pronounced, his attitude and acceptance of others was great and he's a beautiful non-plucking bird today. That did not happen overnight. It took months and months to accomplish. I also hung a towel inside his cage that he would shred instead of plucking on himself when he was anxious. To date - he gets a new, cheap, kitchen towel hung inside his cage every month. He no longer destroys his wing or plucks his chest. He still exhibits nervousness on occasion, but he's a great bird who is now 2 years old and has the best disposition and personality. Keep the faith, and thank you for taking this Grey in, she needs a forever home.

Robin

This thread was great to remind me that we are not alone with plucking issues. Gilbert only plucks during times of change and he has plucked a little recently. There is so much we can do to recognize anxiety and the causes that are possible and to be calm and try lots of new things. I have discovered Gil likes to shred pieces of newspaper to substitute for picking his feathers. Thanks for taking June in and giving her your attention.

Edited by katana600
typo