NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Maybe I'm all wrong for a Grey...???

CeeCeeNY

I just finished reading ALEX & ME & the only thing that won't stop flashing like a billboard in my head is when Pepperberg stated (several times) that to keep a Grey as an only bird, when you are going to leave it alone to go to work, is cruel and will lead to the poor thing having severe anxiety and anger issues. :(

I've always wanted a parrot and the Greys have always been my favorite. I really thought I was in a place in my life now where I could properly care for one but maybe not. I do work 4 days a week from 9-5 in an animal hospital (steady job thankfully, been there 8 yrs now), there is not an avian vet there but I would be allowed to bring my pet with me one of those days each week. But this could potentially be too stressful for the bird as well, right? I wish there was a way to temperamnet test birds like we can wth dogs, then I might have a chance at selecting the bird who might best fit into my life. Boy did I put the cage before the bird, literally!

I don't think it is cruel but most of us have more than our grey, we have multiple birds who are company for each other when we are not at home but if you can bring your grey to work with you then by all means do so. It would provide you with her company during the work day and the bird can get more socialization from interacting with the other people who work there and customers who come in. I doubt your work environment would be stressful for the grey but then only you know the conditions you work under but I would suggest you not keep it out front in the waiting area for you don't know what some people will try to do, maybe you could keep it back out of the way from the public but where it will be seen and not touched by the public.

Even if you do not take your bird to work with you as long as you provide toys and things to keep your bird occupied and maybe a tv or radio on to keep it company I don't see a problem with having a grey as an only bird then as soon as you get home it can come out and be with you the remainder of the day for quality time.

I have three parrots, but I purchased all for selfish old me. My parrots do not like each other and they are always jockeying for position. I am home almost all the time and on the occasions I am gone for the day, they are all in the cages and quite happy. No one plucks; no one goes on a hunger strike... they are just happy to see me and come out and play. If you give your grey proper together time and see that it has toys and food and perhaps a little musical (radio on) entertainment, I see no reason to worry about the eight hours you are gone during the day. Even though I am home most of the time, each of my parrots likes alone time where he/she will go sit on a cabinet, perch or at a window and contemplate life. So don't worry and you both will be happy!

I would like to first off say that I enjoy what Judygram and Luvsparrots reply with (actually 100% of the time). They are both so positive, and open to different ideas, and just an overall great sounding board. So thanks to them!

I have also been in your shoes, after reading something, and felt the sheer panic and frustration. "What am I going to do, I want to be the perfect parrot owner?" Well let me relieve you of a little stress, nothing will be perfect, and there will be times when you question your training methods. There are SO many pieces of literature out there, and it can be overwhelming, it is however up to you, what choices you are going to make. Parenting doesn't come with a handbook, and neither does Parroting. It does however come with a whole lot of various opinions, and TONS of them.

I will offer you a suggestion, and one that saved me from hiding in a dark closet and screaming like a hyena. Find an author that you feel has the same panache that you do, and read their "stuff". I have found that when you see something that you like, it inspires you. It's similar to turning your own "training" into a positive reinforcement experience, instead of overwhelming, confusing and negative. Like Faith Hill sang "Just Breath".

Also in this forum, I will say that there are people here with AMAZING experience, and everyone has stepped up to the plate and helped one another in a pinch. Even if it's just that need to vent, or to have a pep talk. So there is a great support system available to you! Good Luck, and don't hesitate to ask questions, we all start somewhere!

Hello!

Don't let what you read scare you. Yes, grey's are social birds but I honestly believe it depends on the grey. Bob (my CAG) is an only bird and he's not angry or anxious. He's always happy to see me when I come home and I make note to spend a little extra time saying hello to him (versus the dogs). I believe it all depends on how you set your routine and the personality your grey has. I'm lucky to have Bob, he's very laid back and is happy to play with his toys.

Friends laugh because he has SO many toys (and a back up bin) and I rotate them a little more than necessary to keep him happy and busy while he's in his cage.

So don't get yourself down!

Thinking your wrong for a grey is the reason you might be wright for a grey. YOU CARE and want the best for your grey.

There is so much info out there it can send you into outer space. Start and go with the basics and you won`t go wrong.

THANK YOU everyone for your responses, I'm really glad this place exists! I really don't want to fail as a "parront" and because I'm also a dog trainer I'm a little obsessive about getting results. I pride myself in being able to read canine body language and modify their behaviors to suit us "2 leggers," but I realize I'm going to have to come to grips with the facts... parrots can be very persnickity! And there is NO guarantee you are going to have a great relationship w/ your bird regardless of how hard you try. I'm just too much of a perfectionist/control freak.. I find myself without a FID but already obsessing over minute details of their care. Today I spent close to 30 minutes wondering what would be the best channel to leave the TV on when the bird will be home alone... Animal Planet? But I better check the guide and be sure there are no "Raptor programs" scheduled to be aired otherwise I'll come home to bird who is traumatized! How about a music channel? What if too much music gives him/her a headache? Do birds get headaches?! Am I NUTS or what!

THANK YOU everyone for your responses, I'm really glad this place exists! I really don't want to fail as a "parront" and because I'm also a dog trainer I'm a little obsessive about getting results. I pride myself in being able to read canine body language and modify their behaviors to suit us "2 leggers," but I realize I'm going to have to come to grips with the facts... parrots can be very persnickity! And there is NO guarantee you are going to have a great relationship w/ your bird regardless of how hard you try. I'm just too much of a perfectionist/control freak.. I find myself without a FID but already obsessing over minute details of their care. Today I spent close to 30 minutes wondering what would be the best channel to leave the TV on when the bird will be home alone... Animal Planet? But I better check the guide and be sure there are no "Raptor programs" scheduled to be aired otherwise I'll come home to bird who is traumatized! How about a music channel? What if too much music gives him/her a headache? Do birds get headaches?! Am I NUTS or what!

Disney Channel or anything else with lots of music and characters.