NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello! I am new!!

Hello Everyone! i am new here! I just got my very first African Grey (Timneh) on Saturday July 23. He was a gift from my husband for my 25th birthday (July 24). I was informed that he hatched at the end of March, so that makes him only 4 months old. I actually just got his DNA test results today that said he is a boy. I gave him the name Yuki which is Japanese for Happiness, good fortune, and snow. This name stuck with me after reading a lot of names on a website and their meanings. I look forward to many, many wonderful years with my Grey. I cannot wait to see all the wonderful things he can do. At the present he does not talk, but is trying to. Thanks for taking the time to read my story and I look forward to reading many of yours!

Kathy

Hello and welcome Kathylee01432, congratulations on your very handsome bird! Read through the forum as your going to learn so much about your new friend. Take the info that you need, as there is so much to learn, and Im sure that your going to love it here. BTW, Happy birthday, I think that Yuki was an excellent present from your hubby, and I wish you many blessed years of happiness for your family. Im actually in Orlando this weekend as its also my daughters b-day and were at SeaWorld! We love to see pics of Yuki so please share when you can.

I cannot wait to see all the wonderful things he can do. At the present he does not talk, but is trying to.

Hi Kathy, congratulations on your new family member and welcometo our family. Happy Birthday too and its a great present that you will celebrate and enjoy for many many years.

Actually not talking for now is a blessing...once he starts to talk and babble you will enjoy it...but wait till he reaches a point where he never stops talking....lol

Welcome again and you must know, we love photos, especially baby photos, so please post some of Yuki... :D

It's great to meet you Kathy! I read your story in the other thread about the scammer. I'm glad you looked into it further and did not get taken by the crook. It's also great that you shared that as a warning to others who are looking to purchase a grey.

What can I say but WOW! Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I read quite a bit last night in the forums about giving baths, talking, ect. There is so much to learn I feel as if though I am never going to learn it all! ;)

Yuki was very quite for the first couple of days here. However he seems to becoming out of his shell quite a bit. He started of making a few squeaks and now it is progressed into many noises. I read within the forum that the average age they begin to talk is around 1. Has anyone's Grey talked before then? Yuki seems to sporadically try to repeat words and he has said hello. However, he hasn't repeated it since. What is the earliest a Grey has talked?

He also likes to bite. Though I have noticed him doing it less and less. I tell him Ow Yuki that hurts and he seems to stop. Any suggestions? He doesn't do it to be left alone because he often bites my finger to step on to it.

Another thing Yuki likes to do it grab my finger and do what I call trying to swallow it. Does anyone know what he may be doing? After he "tries to swallow" it he lowers his head and wants a scratch.

I will post more pics when I find my camera (my 3 year old hid it). :confused: Speaking of kids he seems to be doing quite well with them too.

Hi and welcome. I really like the name you chose. For one I used to teach English in Japan, so it brings back memories. Secondly, I'm in Oklahoma and we've had over 30 days over 100 degrees and the thought of snow (Yuki in Japanese) is heavenly.

As far as talking, Timnehs often begin speaking earlier than Congo Greys. Six months is not an uncommon age for them to say their first words, so he may indeed be on the verge.

Edited by JeffNOK