NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Warning! JWR is a bad business and not consumer friendly

RedDragon1288

If you are subscribe to Bird Talk magazine you have probably already seen the one page advertisement for JWR Air Purifier and Humidifier systems and might be contemplating to purchase one. I like to warn you about Jeff the owner of the company does not give you quotes on the total amount (product, shipping, and "insurance") when you make an order. Another thing is that if you order one of their products during a "special sale" that is suppose to come with free extras, they do not ship everything together as a bundle. I order the JWR Rain Forest Germicidal Warm Mist Air Humidifier in mid November in 2010 a week before the Thanks Giving Holiday which during that time JWR was having a Thanks Giving sale of order a humidifier and get two free UV replacement bulbs. When I ordered it, Jeff himself told me the price was only 199.75 and I also mention it to him that I am a Bird Talk subscriber because subscriber get a 10% discount. Well later that day after making the order I look at my bank account on-line and find out he was charging me $258.75. I called him to find out why the price wasn't what he stated it to be and if he already included the 10% discount. He told me and I quote "Do you how much insurance on your package cost shipping from Chicago to California?" Yeah. I was will to accept that and than the amount change to 238.75 and he include another free UV bulbs. When I received my package non of the UV bulbs came with the humidifier and so I called him again. He told me that they send them every six months. Its been eight months now and I just noticed an unauthorized charge of 49.75 to my checking account yesterday 7-25-2011 and called him again to find out why. He said that the charge was for the 3 UV bulbs that I just purchased? I told him that I never made the purchase and that I was suppose to received 3 Free replacement UV bulbs. He sounded very understanding but than changed the subject and asked me if how was the humidifier holding up and that they have been trying to create a cleaning solution to remove the hard mineral deposit. Telling me ACE has a great product that works well and than apologize and said he will correct the charge. I even asked him if he is going to charge me. He told me no. Today is 7-26-2011 and the 49.75 been charge to my account. Bad Business.

Here is a link to others like my situation.

http://www.preciouspetstores.com/Profile/2587/

http://www.ripoffreport.com/questionable-activities/jwr-exotic-bird-air/jwr-exotic-bird-air-systems-je-cca8a.htm

Thanks for the heads up. It doesn't seem to have any people saying nice things on either link.

Anyway, all you need to advertise in Birdtalk is the money to buy ad space. The larger the ad space, the higher the price. They've stated that they don't take responsibility for the products that are advertised which is not unusual. Most companies that advertise another company's product don't need to take responsibility and many companies have a disclaimer printed concerning that.

I find this highly disappointing on the part of Bird Talk. Thank you for the info though, as I was planning on ordering one of these when I move!

I think a magazine with as much cred as Bird Talk should take pride in who they allow to advertise in their magazine.

I don't want to praise the business practices of JWR. However, I bought 5 of their air cleaners to put in various rooms of my house. about 5 years ago...I absolutely LOVE them. Upkeep is easy, and they work better than any other air cleaners I have purchased. Over the years, I have purchased many others.

Been there too, my girlfriend and I went through something similar. I wanted a rabbit air, but no we had to have something "specialized" for birds. We talked with the Jeff, very nice, talked about the Chicagoland area where I'm from and he resides in. He quoted 600 dollars for the deal to me. Gets my girlfriend on the phone separately at work since we were using her credit card and charges her 900 dollars. Which she didn't reveal to me until a year later when she finds a charge on her credit card from JWR that was supposedly for replacement filters and parts. WE NEVER ORDERED THIS. Jeff once again fed us a line of BS that is so infuriating it's not worth repeating. We had to get the credit card involved to dispute the charge even after Jeff said he'd correct it. We've also written to bird talk. Plus all his stuff is not made in the US that's for sure.

Air filters are a modern snake oil. I can go to home depot and buy 50 bucks worth of parts and make a home made box and filter that will produce a noticeable reduction in dust and airborne irritants. What a decent filter does beyond this is extremely hard to notice. I talked to a shop owner who reduces bird dander by strapping foam to a 20 inch box fan.

• 2 months later...

I agree! I ordered from them years ago and he seemed so helpful at 1st. I even 'won' a free purifier in a customer drawing that he enters you in. I knew nothing about it. All I had to do was pay for shipping. JWR would send me filters and light bulbs for the unit on a regular basis and just charge my account. I never had an invoice in any of the shipments so I didn't know how much each item was. I was sent the incorrect bulbs and it took over a year for him to make things right. I kept at it but I'm sure my blood pressure was suffering from the irritation. He wouldn't return my calls so I finally got smart and acted like a new customer interested in his product, he called back right away. I removed myself from his automatic mailing list and have not been bothered since. I did call Bird Talk Magazine and reported him but I don't think anything has ever been done. I trusted the add since I like the magazine. I must have spent a couple thousand dollars at JWR. I know now that I must have 'won' the 2nd purifier just so he could charge me for more filters and bulbs. The filters sometimes looked like something I could make myself. The foam for the external filter wasn't even the same each time. I actually had mistaken some of them for packing material. If you know of a good air purifier please let me know. I am not dealing with him ever again. I think I wrote a complaint/warning on here last year about him too.

Val, I could have written your post. I experienced the sam things you did, although I quickly canceled my credit card to prevent him from charging anymore than he already did. You will never receive an invoice, I actually won 2 in his so called drawings....I do like the air cleaners, but i have a lifetime supply of filter and bulbs, don't change them as often as he says you should, not necessary. I mark my phone with his name every time he still calls for the last 5 years and don't take his future calls.

I think I have a lifetime supply of filters too! How often do you change yours? Or what do you think is good for a home w/ 2 purifiers and 1 Grey and 1 Cockatiel? How often do you change your bulbs? I do still use both purifiers and think they probably help, although it seems my house always needs dusting! Imagine that! I only have 2 birds and 2 big dogs. lol

I vacume the outside filters weekly, rarely wash them. The bulbs and inside filters I do about twice a year. I have one air cleaner in the bird room,the others are in our bedrooms. One of my greys sleeps in my room. I have 3 parrots, and dusting should be done twice a week at my house, but I only have time to do it once a week. :(

I should add that my birds are out of their ages most of the day, in their cages at night and for about 4 hours in the afternoons usually.