NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Advice? Re-homing birds.

InfamousAlice

Hello,

I always seem to get myself in these situations....A woman who I know through the veterinary clinic I work at mentioned to me she's currently in a divorce situation and her husband has kicked her out and she has opted to rehome her two parrots. A sun conure and red-bellied parrot. Both are 10 years old. Anyway, to shorten the story, I gave her my number in case she ran into an emergency and told her I may be able to help find new homes for them.

I'm nervous (and this is extremely likely) she's going to call and need me to take them temporarily until we find them new places. Now where the advice is needed. Bob my CAG and I have been together since Feb and I've come to know him very well but no experience with him around other birds. I know I'm going to need to quarantine for a while but if it comes to it how do I introduce them. Do they just get separate play times? Will they be ok together eventually? I know Bob lived with a maroon bellied conure before he came to me but I don't think they really spent "out" time together....

I just am trying to prepare myself in case they end up needing to come to me....

Thank you!

we have a peach front conure, who's now 8 years old and have had her from the beginning. we got kallie, our grey late last winter, she's almost 3 years old. she's a rehome, her owner had passed away. we don't let the girls out together at the same time. their cages are on either side of a big window so they can look outside and also see each other and "talk" to each other. we do things with our conure first, since she's the "1st" bird, then do things with our grey. so far they don't seem to mind the arrangements. it did take a month or so for our conure to understand she's still the number 1 bird and sometimes they'll get anxious waiting for their "turn" for attention. we choose to do this for their safety since there's such a big size difference, they've not tried to get at each other through the cage bars when they've been out but our conure thinks she's the absolute biggest bird ever created, lol!! we're hoping in time that maybe they'll be able to be out together, but for the moment we don't let that happen. if we do get them out at the same time, i'll take our conure upstairs or outside and my husband spends time with our grey (he's the be all, end all for her, hahaha). they both seem perfectly fine with this type of arrangement. they get to watch each other, talk to each other, etc from the safety of their own cages and still get individual attention and time when out of their cages. it works for us. i hope this helps!

Our CAG Corky we have had all her life and she is little over 10 1/2 years old. We rehomed a BFA a little over 2 1/2 years ago and her name is Cricket and she is about 15 years old.

We kept them apart for 60 days in differant rooms but they could hear each other. When they are out they are always under supervision but they seam to get along ok and will eat off the same plate when they are out. When it`s time and their cages are in the same room and they can talk back and forth see how they act with each other. Allways make sure they are supervised and see what happens.

544.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck Alice and keep us posted. I have a quaker parrot, a CAG, and a recently rehomed Panama Amazon. They are all out at the same time. I keep an eye on them, but for the most part they behave themselves. The CAG and the quaker squabble occasionally, well actually, the quaker picks fights, but my CAG is so mellow he doesn't fight back, or if he does, he is no match for the speed of the quaker. I have had the quaker and the CAG together for three years and there have been no injuries, just posturing, and minor squabbles. Quakers have no concept of their small size.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the update! Neither of the two birds ended up coming to reside with me. I was able to help and I'm very happy. Both birds were brought to me and spent the weekend with Bob (my CAG) at my parents house. After a long weekend together Bob totally rejected the idea of a house mate and luckily my mom found a spot in her heart for one of the two. The other was a lucky duck as well and I was able to touch base with someone who was looking to purchase a parrot and was excited at a rescue chance.

I'm happy to say it's been a couple of weeks and both birds have settled in well and are quite happy as single parrots with new parents!

Bob is happy as an only child....

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just read your posts and am really happy you got involved and found a good solution for all involved. I do have a TAG and a red bellied parrot. They are great to talk back and forth and during my recent travels, Gilbert "talked" a lot the way he normally would with his little red bellied friend while she was back home, so I am assuming he missed her. They are back in side-by-side cages today and have been making up for lost time with the chatting going on.