NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Indoor recall training

fidsandfrats

Hi everyone,

Slater (CAG) is 2 and is fully flighted.

I've only recently (in the last week) started training Slater to recall. He seems to really like banana chips so I've removed those from his diet to use in training only.

He'll step if my hand is close enough for him to reach and has even stretched pretty far for the banana chip but that's as far as he'll go. If he has to hop to my hand to get the chip it's not happening. He'll pace and turn around like he really wants the treat but won't make the hop to the hand. I'm thinking the banana chip is not a high enough reward, he scared to make the hop or he just needs more time.

If anyone else has dealt with this I would realy like some suggestions?

I have 3 flighted birds.....tried to get them to do the same.....they WANT to come, but can't seem to realize they can fly to me...they want me to reach over and get them...LAZY BIRDS! :)

But when I tell them to come on, we're going upstairs to take a shower, they will all fly to the top of the stairs and perch on the railing waiting for me to pick them up. You should see me walking down the hall with all 3 birds on me...I am a HUMAN BIRD PERCH!!!! LOL

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to share my experience... and you should note that I am not an expert... not even closer :)

1. Use clicker and teach the bird target training (meaning that it touches the target, usually stick, it deserves reward)

2. move the stick little bit far, so that bird have to step a couple moves to the stick, then reward goes

3. use two perches and start with close gap

4. encourage the bird to hop from one perch to another by pointing the target perch. If done then don"t forget the reward :), if failed try to lure it to step up with a close gap, the underlined words is using an approximation in understanding the command.

5. gradually increase the distance, so there will be a transformation from a step up, hop and finally flying.

6. if the bird understand the command, stand between the perches, so it could not see the other perch. Giving the same clue and command but this time pointing at your finger as the target, if not works start all over again from luring him to step up a little bit away then encourage the hop and the same sequence.. flying.

7. using diet training to increase motivation,

8. reward not always be a favorite food, could be scratch, praise and other thing the bird likes.

9. use a close room for training, there will be less distraction for the bird

that's all I know....

ops.. you could also check the article here..http://carlylusflightblog.com/files/Training_Your_Parrot_to_Recall_GoodBird.pdf

Rgds,

I do not use recall training.

Corky my Congo Grey is always flying to me weather I want her to or not and Cricket my Blue Fronted Amazon won`t leave my side.

There are many systems used to train birds and other pets and clicker training is just one. You have to find one that works best for you and your bird.

I never use food to reward good behavior I likke to use affection as a reward for behavior. That way their not good just to get treat.

Treat rewards are good for many other things and as a bribe.

This is just ment to be some input for you and some of it is IMO. Good luck with your training.

Agreed Ray... affection is the most significant thing- IMHO, I used to spare a day or two within a week to spend time with my parrots without training, just enjoying the day and that's all. Ten years ago, , I have such approach for my two black capped lorries. And the result is that I still could let them freely outdoor. As they were wild caught, I need to take for almost two years for taming and get trust. The patience paid off when I saw them freely perched and flew freely around me.

Rgds