NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Skin condition where the feathers fall out?

MarcusCAG

Anyone heard of anything like this in Greys? Earlier today I came across an ad on Craig's List where a family had a very inexpensive, adult male Grey advertised who, they said, has a skin condition where all of his feathers fall out. The pictures provided show him almost completely covered in down, with only his wings and his head really having real feathers remaining. My husband thought that maybe the bird is a plucker and they just don't want to say so. Either way, I felt bad for the Grey's condition, and I hope he finds a new forever home that can give him whatever attention he needs! But again: anybody know anything about a condition like that? Would it be contagious? I'd worry about bringing such a parrot into an already established flock in such a case. Anyway, thanks for any replies. (And if there's a thread here about something like this already in the forums, I'm sorry, I just really shouldn't be on the computer right now and so I'm just throwing this out as quick as I can!)

**********My husband thought that maybe the bird is a plucker and they just don't want to say so.*******

Listen to the hubby. The bird is a chronic plucker and most will pull out new feathers as soon as they're visible to the bird. There are ointments, medicines, liquids that can be used but the fix is usually used to calm down the extreme itching. Most chronic pluckers stay that way for good. Some will lessen the plucking a bit after being put into a new environment or home. That could also work in reverse though

Has anyone seen a grey learning to pluck from another grey? I know greys catch habits and words form each other, but would they learn to pluck also? Any experience on that?

My grey always learns words quickly from my brothers grey when we put them together, he also learned some whistles and screaming from him. On the other side, my brothers grey learned hanging and swinging upside down from my grey (which is something he didnt do before). It always amazes me how fast they catch from other greys and for that Im concerned that in the same way, a grey could learn plucking from another grey.

Apples and oranges. Greys as well as other parrots don't pass on or pick up the habit of plucking when another bird does it. There's necessary plucking, chronic plucking and acute plucking.

The first happens and nature guides that. Dead feathers, itchy skin. The second and third are from skin disorders and nervous personaliies and bad /weak parental stock.

The second and third are from skin disorders and nervous personaliies and bad /weak parental stock.

Thank you, Dave, for your replies.. (And my hubby was happy to hear he was right, haha!) But I do have another question, now: wouldn't a skin condition fall under "skin disorder"? Or are the disorders you're talking about ^^ just side-effects of plucking in general, and not the other way around (like a loss of feathers from a condition, which your first post in this thread would seem to indicate is not possible)? Again, thank you for your input!

I saw the add, they want $350, the bird doesnt look good at all. Are you in Fl. MARCUSCAG?

This is the ad: http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/pet/2497298191.html

He looks bright and attentive, though, in spite of the condition of his plumage. I hope he finds a good forever home who is able to take care of him as his needs dictate...

Edited by MarcusCAG
clarifying a question

Thank you, Dave, for your replies--you are certainly a wellspring of pertinent information! :) (And my hubby was happy to hear he was right, haha!) But I do have another question, now: wouldn't a skin condition fall under "skin disorder"? Or are the disorders you're talking about ^^ just side-effects of plucking in general, and not the other way around (like a loss of feathers from a condition, which your first post in this thread would seem to indicate is not possible)? Again, thank you for your input!

This is the ad, Cupid: http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/pet/2497298191.html

He looks bright and attentive, though, in spite of the condition of his plumage. I hope he finds a good forever home who is able to take care of him as his needs dictate...

Skin disorder is the end product of abusing the skin for a very long time. Loss of follicles, skin that's so thin that injuries can happen more often. Infections can start more easily.

Skin condition is what the bird has caused to happen over a long period of time. Dry, scaly, pulling out shafts.

Both really mean the same thing. It's a matter of semantics.