NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

new grey owner , that was given a grey by my grand ma ....have a question

Hey guys , my name is Carl , am new to the site .

I recently got a African grey name rogue ,from my grand mom who passed away , she left me rogue an a couple other things .. I rember hand feeding.him with her , I believe he is only about 12 weeks , I am not to sure .. he is very play full , N he likes to explore every thing lol .. he climbs up out of the tub bucket an sits on the edge , an then some times he will just come out on his own lol . I still feed him twice a day on hand formula , an also I offer him.carrots , broclie , and green peas , he eats it all up lol ... My concern is , should I.keep feeding him.the vegys? Hand.formula ? What should I do next ? I love him an he is so play full , I know he's still a baby cause he has the feathers behind his neck growing in ..

Do I need a cage for him yet ? I will try n post some pixs on him , ..

Thanks an all the help will be nice ,

Ps . If I knew how old he was I could pin point more info on Wat to do next , but I know u guys will help me out :)

Hi Carl and welcome to the forum. That is a good looking grey on the tub and the other bird looks like a baby blue front zon.

I can`t help much on feeding a baby, but a member with baby grey experance will fill you in on their needs.

Hey guys , my name is Carl , am new to the site .

I recently got a African grey name rogue ,from my grand mom who passed away , she left me rogue an a couple other things .. I rember hand feeding.him with her , I believe he is only about 12 weeks , I am not to sure .. he is very play full , N he likes to explore every thing lol .. he climbs up out of the tub bucket an sits on the edge , an then some times he will just come out on his own lol . I still feed him twice a day on hand formula , an also I offer him.carrots , broclie , and green peas , he eats it all up lol ... My concern is , should I.keep feeding him.the vegys? Hand.formula ? What should I do next ? I love him an he is so play full , I know he's still a baby cause he has the feathers behind his neck growing in ..

Do I need a cage for him yet ? I will try n post some pixs on him , ..

Thanks an all the help will be nice ,

Ps . If I knew how old he was I could pin point more info on Wat to do next , but I know u guys will help me out :)

-------------------------

*****I still feed him twice a day on hand formula , an also I offer him.carrots , broclie , and green peas , he eats it all up lol ... My concern is , should I.keep feeding him.the vegys? Hand.formula ? ******

As far as the hand formula, up that amount to 3x a day until you're absolutely sure that he wants to drop down to 2x a day. The bird will definitely tell you when he wants less. After feeding 2x a day, wait until your bird tells you to cut that down to 1 per day. The bird in the picture looks like it needs more formula than it's getting. He also looks like he's younger than that but it could be the camera shot.

As far as other food, continue with all the veggies that he can eat and if nothing solid has been added, try out some unsweetened hard cereal or pellets or a bit of parrot mix. Mixing hard and soft is important now.

Very little fruit.

Right now, it's testing time until you're absolutely sure about certain things concerning feeding. Consider this a fine tuning process.

Start with 40cc. When and if he craves more at that feeding , give 10cc more. If he doesn't want all of the 40cc, decrease the amount to 30cc. Once you see exactly what amount he will take at each feeding, stick with it. Don't put any time limits on the feedings. Some greys take quite a while to wean and some greys don't. This method is called abundance feeding and it guarantees that your bird will get the best nourishment all the time.

As far as a cage--I don't know what you wanna invest as far as cages go but right now a 20 inch square cage would be good and all the perches have to be kept low. The bird will climb around and may fall. Supply a soft landing. Put a towel in the bottom. The next cage you'll get will be the final cage because at 3 to 5 mts, the're very agile as far as walking, climbing and even falling. There's loads of pictures here of those permanent sized cages. Different designs, colors but the most important thing about a permanent cage is height vs width. A grey's cage should be wide, not long and slender.

If you wanna get that permanent cage now, just follow all the rules above concerning height of perches, a soft landing. It takes a grey awhile to get used to things especially cages but you only need to remember that food and water must be easily accessible.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/283487_2229071243265_1142351313_2783483_3894774_n.jpg

Heres another pic of him ..

And thanks Dave , you been a great great help .. so Il go.out an see if I can find a box cage for him , I was all ready looking at the final cages , an was going to get him one , I just was going to put all the perches low towards the bottom along with his food ..

You don't know how much information u just gave me :) .. thanks a lot ...so Il keep up with the forumla an at the same time give him the vegys and I will try the pellets in a bowl at the bottom.of the cage for Wen am at work

-------------------------------------------------------

Well, from that photo it's really hard to see the size so I'll provide a photo of a large boned CAG and the his cage. look at the bird and look at the size of the cage he's sitting on. That should be the amount of space that would surround a grey

The cage is approx 55 in high---28 in deep--33 in wide ( measurements are just for the cage)

Add 15 to 16 inches more to include the stand. Cages come with stands

My persoal choice is a flat top because a grey is out of the cage alot and a flat top can hold more toys and such. Just my preference though.

They like to climb upside down in the roof of a cage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/c.jpg