NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Kazoo spoke her first new word!

Zoom

Kazoo (a DYH Amazon) was 13 when I adopted her last November. She came with a limited vocabulary, but many different ways of saying the things she said. Mostly she said Hello Coco - but she could scream it, speak it politely, or say it in a sultry voice. She really gets a lot of mileage out of that one phrase. She also whistles, laughs and makes various interesting sounds.

Since she's 14 years old and has been living here for eight months without adding to her vocabulary, I figured she wasn't going to. It was okay though. She's very expressive in her own way.

But last week I thought I heard her say her name when I was coming down the stairs.

"Hello Kazoo."

I thought maybe I imagined it. But it has happened three more times since, always when she hears me coming but before she actually sees me. And she only says it once each time.

I know it's not a big deal that she can say her name, but it warms the cockles of my heart and I wanted to share it.

Simon, meanwhile, is 6 months old and he's changed his contact call from a lovebird screech to a nice whistle, thank God. He's been practicing all kinds of sounds, from whistles to monkey noises. I can't wait for him to start talking. He seems so interesting in sound. He is far more likely to practice when the following two conditions are met: I'm out of the room, and there's music playing.

Way to go Kazoo. Let them know who you are. I bet your are very happy.

Cricket knows 4 or 5 words and she has been with us 2 1/2 years and never added any new ones, but thats ok because her actions speak louder than words.