NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Ziggy Update

Samy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SO I know I haven't been around, literal mad house here. Koko did well, not liking one individual but loving everyone else. Ziggy did well but was not happy with the extra cage time. She pulled an escape artist act one day while I was trying to feed her and flew around the house getting everyones attention, but on a plus note she did step up on me to go back in her cage when she was done with her flight. I think it was because hubby was not home and I was the only familiar one there as she won't do it now that no one else is here but it was a nice day for me, I don't feel she hates me quite as much as before. They both are eating better then when they first got here, they even have their own plates for meals and bowls for breakfast. Ziggy no longer attacks me on a regular basis when I put her plate in her area but I have to have kind of a diversion to get the empty plate or bowl away from her because she will still nip at me when I try. Usually we use an almond or a toy. Now that things are getting back to normal they have spent all morning snuggling and playing with us Koko is even sitting with me now all cuddled up on my shoulder in his normal "nesting" spot making "kisses" noises in my ear and mumbling Koko and come here which is what he does as he falls asleep. Got some video of the "play cage" for Zig in the livingroom being a "bat bird" and playing with her "binky" and got some of Koko talking to me not near as much of his vocabulary but what kid ever does what a parront wants them to when they want them to do it. I am still utterly insane and the ARK was even larger then normal last week but it is nice to be back to just covering for double everything then triple everything.

I guess we are back to status quot. I went to clean the cages out this morning thinking that they would enjoy things back to normal in fresh cages. I gave everyone breakfast and Zig wanted out I figured why not she spent all that extra time in her cage last week she deserves to spread her wings a bit more then normal so I gave her her breakfast on our side table next to her playcage instead of in her playcage. Changing things up was my first no-no, she got out and started throwing food everywhere. I figured she was letting go some frustration and talked to her asking her not to throw everything everywhere but not really trying to stop her. I went over to clean out the playcage first, second mistake. She was not happy with me in her domain at all she climbed the side and looked at me making some sounds and saying hello but not her normal clicks of warning so I stupidly kept cleaning and talking to her singing along to the music I was playing. I don't know how she did it but she managed to open the food door and climbed in through there and stalked over to me and bit me on my ear right at the top, got me good too I needed a good long while to stop the bleeding. I am now joking with my hubby that I have an extra piercing (which is actually more of a tear) on the top of my ear. Probably should have a stitch or two but I steri-stripped it and it will leave a character mark for stories in the future. I am going to have another cup of coffee, make lunch and start working on the computer room cage and Koko's cage, hubby has already finished cleaning up the playcage. Figured it wouldn't be back to normal without having things truly back to the way they were so now we can get back to working on her tolerating me again.

I am including a video of batbird in her playcage just for everyones giggles this pretty morning.

(it's a little long but she is just too cute)

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1889363639569

Our days have been pretty uneventful, we talk and do housework. The kids will be going back to school soon so hoping that I can let them out even more once they go to school. I need to find some perches or stands to either make or buy that the birds can use throughout the house. Want to find ones with things for the birds to do so they won't get too bored and antagonize the other animals. Ziggy has decided she is now bigger then our husky. She whistles for the dogs and when one gets close she nips and laughs at them as they run away.Koko has become very comfortable in the house although he has gotten quite spoiled. He makes quite a bit of noise of you walk by his cage and not let him out to go with you. I have been told that is normal for Hahn's macaws to behave that way. Zig is fully flighted but Koko is not and from the way things are going it looks like we are going to have to keep it that way. Koko spends so much time going around here and there that I worry he would get out with the kids coming and going like kids are known to do. I hate the idea of eventually having to get him clipped when his feathers grow back in, I fully believe to leave them the way they were created and let them live as they were designed to. I'm hoping to find things for the dining room so they don't have to have their cages moved every night. Also for the shower as I have heard there is something for them to use in there if not I am sure I can design something. I also want to get harness's for them so they don't have to go outside in just cages would be nice to let them stretch their wings so to speak without bars. Otherwise not too much else figure I am in for a good biting soon so everyone will get a chuckle soon enough. Have a good day all.

Enclosing a picture of Koko in our flock album

Edited by Samy

• 2 weeks later...

Not too much to report today. We are preparing for nasty weather and getting everything just in case Irene has a direction change. Things otherwise are pretty normal, Zig sits with my husband and still nips at everyone she does let me pet her beak first thing in the morning when I feed her. Koko has been antsy trying to get more attention lately I think the busyness of everyone has him feeling high strung. At his age I worry about getting him to excited. Things are pretty much into a routine I try to go out of the house for an hour or two a couple times a day leaving the tv or radio on for them and keeping them near enough to talk to each other as my busy season is coming. The kids are going back to school now so I leave the cages opened separately as Zig is still not fond of Koko and he seems to really enjoy annoying her. He will try and climb her cage when she's in it and she attacks the bars every time trying to get him and he will laugh at her and stand on top looking down in on her. So I now take him all over the house with me and then when I work in the kitchen or livingroom I put him away and open hers. Getting her back in the cage is difficult but we are working on it. Sometimes I can put a bowl of fruit and nuts in when I want her to go back in and she gets in without issue other times I have to wait for hubby to get home to put her back and on a rare few occasions she will let me put her back. Otherwise everyone on the east coast be prepared and I hope all do well through this weather.

All is clear here. The storm missed us. Zig made a stand this weekend. I was a little under-intuitive (yes I know the word is unusable to other then me lol) and was switching out the food in her cage. Been doing it all week without issue and of course she realized I was getting too relaxed. She bit me, yep I know I ask for it by going back time and time again, and left me with a nasty gash on the back of my hand. She is just not liking anything when my husband is home. Now on to the development of the positive if hubby is not home she will at the very least step up after pulling an escape routine from her cage and flying around a bit.:o Koko has been getting increasingly agitated with all the extra cage time during my busier part of the year for work. He is nipping more often then is usual for him and he is making quite the racket trying to get someone to let him out of his cage when someone is home. Hoping he will be happier once the busy time is done around November. Everything else here is good, hubby goes on his first weekend out next weekend so the moment of truth with Zig shall be seen next weekend. :cool: Wish me luck

Yes Ziggy and Koko both are re-homes. Zig is 11 or 12 we are guessing she is full grown for sure and Koko is around 15. This little blog is where I go to blow off steam and laugh at the fact that I have the ark in my house. I also keep my sense of humor and new ideas to try from all the great people here.

Ziggy is a one person kind of bird and that one person is my husband, Koko is more sociable.

This things runs as a diary and also a helping tool to get things into perspective when I think I am going to never get this right.

Edited by Samy

:mad:

I have been shopping around on different websites looking for inexpensive bird stands and enclosures for outside. I saw on one today a person (very loose word for this thing) trying to trade their grey for another type of large bird.:mad:

I have been bitten, hissed at, clawed and in general just abused by Ziggy but to even consider trading her for another bird just burns my butt. If you can't handle the bird find a decent home don't just trade it to someone else for a different one these are living creatures they have needs and feelings that may not always be the same as ours but they still have them.

For all the abuse and bleeding bites I have received I wake up each morning telling her good morning and I crave petting her beak. She has become part of my family no different to me then my kids are, how can anyone do this?

My husband left today for his weekend trip and I have gone over to the cage often since he left so she doesn't feel alone, even opened the cage door and talked to her and pet her beak until she bit me. She has been sighing and whining for him and I feel terrible for her. I gave her a new toy hoping she will be distracted just a bit and once the kids go to bed I may attempt to let her out and play if it isn't too late.

I'm sorry to vent but it just makes me so angry that people can just barter their animals for something else.

:mad:

I have been shopping around on different websites looking for inexpensive bird stands and enclosures for outside. I saw on one today a person (very loose word for this thing) trying to trade their grey for another type of large bird.:mad:

I have been bitten, hissed at, clawed and in general just abused by Ziggy but to even consider trading her for another bird just burns my butt. If you can't handle the bird find a decent home don't just trade it to someone else for a different one these are living creatures they have needs and feelings that may not always be the same as ours but they still have them.

For all the abuse and bleeding bites I have received I wake up each morning telling her good morning and I crave petting her beak. She has become part of my family no different to me then my kids are, how can anyone do this?

My husband left today for his weekend trip and I have gone over to the cage often since he left so she doesn't feel alone, even opened the cage door and talked to her and pet her beak until she bit me. She has been sighing and whining for him and I feel terrible for her. I gave her a new toy hoping she will be distracted just a bit and once the kids go to bed I may attempt to let her out and play if it isn't too late.

I'm sorry to vent but it just makes me so angry that people can just barter their animals for something else.

I agree. I have to stay away from Craig's List and other sites like that because it is too sad. Sometimes people are forced to give up their much loved birds due to life situations but trading one bird for another? That would be like trading one child for another. I agree with you 100%.

I totally understand the idea of having to re-home due to bad things happening. Those circumstances are heart breaking and emotionally scarring for everyone involved. People who HAVE to re-home for these circumstances are at the very least going to try to ensure that it's the right home for their grey, not trade the bird out like it's no more then something to own.