NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New 3 year old grey

Hey all,

I have recently adopted a Congo African grey whose family was going through a hard time and had to rehome him. He is a chatty guy who comes to the front of the cage to look at us and take treats. He was accustomed to being out of the cage for some time every day. My questions are:

We got him last night. When should I let him out of his cage?

I have a larger cage for him to move into. When should I move him?

When should I mist him?

If he is not used to going on trips and visiting around, is it too late to start since he's 3?

Thanks,

Rachael

Welcome and congratulations Rachael.

There's lots of info on this site. Search and use what is applicable for you.

My 2 cents...

I say if the bird is ready to be held...do it.

If I had a chance to move into a better home I'd want to move. If the bird is open to being held then that should be easy.

My birds took showers with me as much as I'd let them. Greys need misting/bathing at least 2-3 times a week.

There's a lot of rescued bird owners out here, you're at the right place.

Cheers to many years, Todd

Hello Rachael and welcome to our family, so glad you could give this grey a new forever home.

I would open his door and allow him to come out on his own, don't try to reach in and get him out as some greys regard their cage as their safe place, when he is ready to interact with you and your family he will come out for they are curious about their new surroundings.

If you have another cage you want to put him in move it into the room so he can get used to it, let him go on it to explore and when he seems comfortable with it then you can move his things in, again let him set the pace for you never want to push a grey into anything unless it is an emergency.

You can mist him and see how he takes it, some greys like to go into the shower with their owners to bathe but you will have to experiment to see what he likes or will tolerate.

If you have a travel cage you can take him outside on short visits to get him used to it then go on short visits somewhere fun like maybe a nearby playground to see how he reacts, most love going on outings and seeing new people, just make it fun and enjoyable for him, in other words don't make the only times he goes into a travel cage to go to the vet's office.

Do read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do ask questions and we will help you in any way we can.

Pictures are always welcomed.

Judy gave you some great advice. Some times they are slow to came around but they will. Your grey sounds happy. As far as travel our grey and our amazon have been all over the U.S. with us and they travel very well and I think it`s because they enjoy being close to us and we can talk to them all the time. When we travel they don`t get out of their cage very much but being next to us they don`t seam to care about being out. They love the interaction.

AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

Rachael, welcome to the Grey family! Oh yes open the door and let your new friend decide when he wants to come out. What did the prior owners tell you about his daily routine? If you have contact with them, I believe that is the first place to start, to see what he is use to doing. By the way, what is your new friend's name? I can't wait to hear more. I think he will love his new home and his new cage!

Welcome to our family that is growing by the day... how nice it is to know that another grey has found a forever family to love him and care for him. As everybody said, you have to discover his pace...open the door let him come out on his :) own, put the new cage somewhere close to him with food and some treats inside plus a favorite toy, let him move and explore on his own....

Have a greyt life together and enjoy... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so now my cag comes out of the cage and climbs around freely. He takes little bits from my fingers, and will occasionally let me or my kids pet his head. He has moved into his new, larger cage and is still eating, drinking, and chattering. He will not step up, however, from inside or outside the cage. I am trying to treat him and persuade him to step up, but he looks like he'd still like to bite first.

Question is, should I try to insist he step up and risk a bite, or give him the choice of not stepping up? Any recommendations?

Oh, and his name is Isaac. I have pics but have never used photo bucket so I will have to learn.

Thanks!!

Rachael

I think it is best NOT to rush the "step-up" at this point. Isaac is just getting used to his new digs and his new family. I think you should concentrate on making him feel safe and loved as well as letting him know he has some choices in the matters of his life. The step-up will come as the trust grows. Forcing it will likely set you back in your relationship with him.

Welcome and congratulations Rachael.

There's lots of info on this site. Search and use what is applicable for you.

My 2 cents...

I say if the bird is ready to be held...do it.

If I had a chance to move into a better home I'd want to move. If the bird is open to being held then that should be easy.

My birds took showers with me as much as I'd let them. Greys need misting/bathing at least 2-3 times a week.

There's a lot of rescued bird owners out here, you're at the right place.

Cheers to many years, Todd

Toddski gave great advice here so I think you should "risk the bite" even though it might not be a bite at all. sometimes greys like to feel the perch for stability so i guess its a 50-50 thing. Without risk there is no reward. What if you could be holding your bird right now? Try to only have him step up when its out of the cage as they can be territorial creatures.