NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A Curious Situation...

js29

Hello Everyone,

I have been having some issues with my Grey and would appreciate a little practical advice. My Congo African Grey just turned 5 years old and within the past couple of months A LOT of things have changed about him. First and foremost, on the trip home from the breeder when we bought him(he was 6 months old) he started plucking and never stopped until about 4 months ago. He never mutilated himself, but he was a pretty aggressive plucker. We brought him to our avian vet and he did tests which determined that the plucking was behavioral in nature so we provided him with multiple different foraging type toys to occupy his attention as best as possible. We also bought him a very large Manzanita tree stand to use to further the foraging techniques. Up until he was about a year and a half old he was fully flighted and spent the vast majority of his time on the Manzanita tree stand which is in our kitchen. So much so that when we got his flight feathers trimmed we determined that staying on the tree was the best course when we were home. So while he has a large cage he spends next to no time in it compared to his tree stand.

The parrot is really well socialized. He has been through a lot and never shown the slightest signs of fear or aggravation with me. He often calls for me to come get him off his tree perch. He takes a shower with me several times a week(we have a perch in the shower for him). If he is not on his perch he will tell me when he needs to relieve himself. He talks up a storm and often associates words with actions and items of interest. I could not put it in finer words that he has been not only the best parrot I have ever owned but an absolute dream pet.

A couple weeks back it was time for his nail clipping so I got the towel we normally use out. I have endeavored over the years to acclimate him to the towel by playing peekaboo and such games. He has never been a fan of the towel, but he has always yielded to it for nail clippings and feather trims. During this recent attempt to clip his nails he would have none of it and actually ran around the house like a wild bird for 30-45 mins. During the course of this event he snapped a flight feather, which has happened before with no long lasting behavioral issues.

Now weeks after the event, my parrot is still absolutely frightened of me. Whenever I go near him he growls at me and puffs his feathers like he is going to strike. If I attempt to get him to step up he jumps off his stand completely away from me crashing onto the floor. He has also taken to biting me consistently. I have tried to do everything to calm him to no avail. I’m currently going back through the clicker training techniques for frightened greys in the hopes that through patience I can alleviate his concerns and return to our previous trusting relationship.

My questions are, has anyone else had issues similar to this where their grey acts one way for years and then a switch flips making it a completely different bird? If so, how long did the new behavior last? Could the issues I describe really be caused because he is reaching/reached sexual maturity? My wife and I have also recently had our first child, could I be confusing the issues and my grey is just displaying signs of jealousy? I am reasonable certain though, that my grey is now scared of me and it is of tremendous concern to me. Any advice and insight would be tremendously appreciated.

Thank You!

Edited by js29

I am very much interested in the replies of expert members as well.. but I think this behaviour is related to jealousy. Greys are like little kids, who cant express jealousy except in their own way. I guess this coupled with a lousy towel / nail trim / broken feather experience... has caused some trusst loss with you. I think you have to re-gain your greys trust. Dont be so serious with clicker training and stuff... just spend time with your grey, have fun, show excitement to see him, laugh with him, give him treats... let him be interested in you again, let him come to you on his own.... thats the best I could say, and I look forward to other members' replies.

You two have had an exceptional relationship that changed dramatically in an instant. Something terrified him about that clipping even before he broke the feather. So, it would seem to be the focus right now, inspite of any extenuating circumstances.

I think it was very important that you listened to him & stopped that night. What happened became traumatic & he doesn't feel he can trust you, now. That's kind of big given your prior bond & I think it's going to take some time & effort to re-establish your relationship. Because of his age & the new baby, your relationship may change from here on. Which is not to say that it wouldn't still be greyt. Just different.

His current responses are fear based & he's driven to be more dominating so he doesn't ever feel that helpless, again. Its very important to a grey that he knows he's not helpless. He's got to regain some measure of perceived control. He needs to know that he can make you respond to him when he feels he really needs it & he really needs it right now.

I don't know how I feel about clicker training. I'm a hands on type. So, my instincts are to make physical contact to bond & communicate. I'd question your handling of the one episode, but I think your instincts are probably very good, even though they're different from mine. I can see some possible advantages to clicker training, here.

But I think Ranaz is right about spending time having fun & laughing, again. The focus now should be on easing the tension before anything. The less dominating & the more time you can spend as flockmates, the better.

Meanwhile, the baby may have to be addressed, too. Less sleep, changes in routine, sudden noises, lots of new things. Everyone & everything smells different. The energy level is totally different. I think those last two in particularly really affect birds & are most easily over looked by us. It's easy to think our fids are jealous of a new chick, but there is a lot to get used to & it can be very unsettling.

In your fid's case, he doesn't have the sanctity of his cage to hide out in. either. His tree has been very good for him. But it may be an added complication under the circumstances. Bars keep things out as well as in & birds rely on that sometimes. He can't go to his man-cave or workshop to hide until he adjusts. Here again, he doesn't really have a space where he has the illusion of total control that's so important at times.

Inspite of some complications you've had 5 yrs w/your total dream bird. That means you have a good, solid, established bond. He's got a good temperament. You've got good instincts.

But a lifetime together is always a work in process. I think this is really just a reality check that has been building for a while & it's going to take some time to get past it. If you can realistically factor in everything that has gone on recently & focus on re-establishing his trust, I think you can reach a new plateau in your relationship.

First, I apologize it has been a busy week so I just now am getting around to replying to some of the great advice presented here.

One question: is it just you that your bird has this reaction with? Is your wife able to interact as she always has?

He has never really taken to my wife. I have always assumed it was because she was hesitant with him and her nervousness was apparent. His interactions with my wife are mainly verbal. They play games(peekaboo) and talk, but she doesn’t try to pick him up. Since the incident, he has been the same with my wife, he doesn’t growl at her or act crazy when she is around. This has been one of the biggest indicators for me that he must be afraid of me.

just spend time with your grey, have fun, show excitement to see him, laugh with him, give him treats... let him be interested in you again, let him come to you on his own....

See this is one of the main reasons I have been reaching out for advice. It seems he will not allow me to spend time with him. As he won’t step up to come do our normally activities. As I previously said, he normally takes a shower with me several times a week, he also normally would be with me whenever I was home with free time watching movies, working on the computer, doing lawn work, playing with him, etc. All these activities have ceased because whenever I attempt to ask him to step up he goes absolutely bonkers. So I’m torn if I should force him to come with me or just give him alone time. I have been erring on the side of alone time, but I’m concerned that weeks have now past without any change in his behavior.

I don't know how I feel about clicker training. I'm a hands on type. So, my instincts are to make physical contact to bond & communicate. I'd question your handling of the one episode, but I think your instincts are probably very good, even though they're different from mine. I can see some possible advantages to clicker training, here.

But I think Ranaz is right about spending time having fun & laughing, again. The focus now should be on easing the tension before anything. The less dominating & the more time you can spend as flockmates, the better.

As I replied to Ranaz, do you think I should force physical interaction with him? As I can’t put it plainly enough, he will not step up for me anymore and every time I have tried he either bites me(normally drawing blood) or jumps off his tree and crashes(which I’m afraid he will hurt himself doing).

I have been trying to ease the tension by hand feeding him his favorite treats. This in and of itself is very indicative of his disposition. He almost never will take the treat from my hand and eat it. He will rip it from my hand and throw it down. Yet if I take the treat and then put it in a bowl he climbs up to get it and eat it ASAP. This is one of the areas where I have been using the clicker. When he takes a treat nicely and doesn’t drop it on purpose I give him encouragement.

In your fid's case, he doesn't have the sanctity of his cage to hide out in. either. His tree has been very good for him. But it may be an added complication under the circumstances. Bars keep things out as well as in & birds rely on that sometimes. He can't go to his man-cave or workshop to hide until he adjusts. Here again, he doesn't really have a space where he has the illusion of total control that's so important at times.

I’ve been thinking about whether I should start putting him in his cage to sleep at night. I am not sure if it would be the right move though as it would be adding yet another variable to the situation and I would also need to force him to step up to get in and out of the cage daily. As I previously stated I have really been trying not to force him to interact with me physically.

Thank you for all the great advice. Any and all other perspectives would be appreciated.

Edited by js29
  • Haha 1

I guess you should never force him to do anything. The whole situation started because you forced him. You should follow his pace. When I said spend time with him, it doesnt have to be with him stepping up and coming to you. Where ever he is sit osmewhere close or in the same room and talk to him laugh or sing to him. Play with a toy next to him, it might interest him and he will come to you. Eat and work next to him, let him see you relaxed and smiling and luaghing and start to link you to having fun instead of fear... Rebuilding the trust will take some time and a lot of patience, but it will happen, just take it easy

I guess you should never force him to do anything. The whole situation started because you forced him. You should follow his pace.

Yeah, I thought I knew his pace. He has always been really laid back(which is why it was so confusing that he plucked his feathers). Our avian vet suggested we collar him because of his plucking. We did and he never once held it against me. In fact, I would take the collar on and off to clean it for him without any ill after effects. It was a matter of pride for me that he was so exceptionally socialized and had such a pleasant demeanor.

Edited by js29

It must be very upsetting for you to experience such a dramatic change in your relationship with him. It's probably just as upsetting for him. Maybe even more, since you're his favourite person. I agree with the others - give him time, be patient, and just hang out near him, doing non-threatening stuff.