NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Murphy has escaped!

reggieroo

You know what that's a question I don't know how to answer, Kate said to me when he got out " you should clip his wings if we get him back" I sort of just shrugged my shoulders. There are two ways of looking at it, now that he is out, I'm glad I didn't clip his wings as he probably wouldn't survive without them, at least he has a fighting chance with his full set of wings. On the other hand, if his wings had been clipped then he probably wouldn't have escaped in the first place & would be safe at home right now.

I made the decision not to clip his wings for various reasons inc his mental well being & I enjoyed him flying around, sometimes he was a pain in the butt but what I would give right now for Murphy to be a pain in the butt flying round my house.

This is incredibly tough after losing yer baby. I have still left Isaac flighted. One thing I do know is that once you have made the decision to let them fly...I could not see any good in the world...taking that away from them. Birds which are clipped early don't miss flight. Isaac would be super upset if he couldn't fly...I just know it. There is 100% no way...I will ever clip this bird. I will watch my doors....cage him when people are over....and limit his out time to the times I can manage control of exits....but never ever...will I take my baby's ability to fly away now that he is so wonderful at it. It really is a personal choice from the get-go. I also feel that properly clipped birds live a wonderful life. For me...it has always been...let em fly. I am all too quick to put myself in the birds position...my goodness...if I could fly...definitely let me.

It certainly is a MUCH different world when you keep a flighted bird. I am not so certain it could be a practical recommendation for bird owners....but it was a risk I was willing to take on..and I will see it through. Point being this...never down anyone who is willing to take the risk to keep a flighted bird. The same way clipping gives the clipped bird owner the comfort that their bird will not get away and hurt themselvs, is the comfort us flighted bird owners get from knowing that our birds are allowed to be their full bird selvs. The majesty of flight is a beautiful thing....and seeing your bird fly...the feeling just cannot be described. The first time Isaac stopped going down, and started going up...was a really amazing moment and I took it really close to heart. Knowing that he can come to me when he wants..and does so with so much excitement...ohhh my....the love. Be compassionate to both choices. :)

Edited by Elvenking

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear what has happened,we lost jasper our amazon a month ago,we were lucky,we got her back,i just followed a tree line to a water source,and found her in a tree,about 2 miles away ,she went for 3 days,just look for a tree line some way away,and water.I feel for you,it is heart wrecnching i know,but you will be like us,dont give up.Please keep us all informed.

steve

Why!? Very probably he wouldn't be alive if he have had his wings clipped! In that situation you would be only left with prayers for you to find him before the predators do! No to mention that he wouldn't have the capacity to find food that easily, even if some thing didn't had him as its breakfast already.. This way, he at least has the capability to take care of himself. Anyway, that were my two cents...

Hope Paul gets Murphy soon and tell us the happy news so we can all celebrate!!! :D

?? if little Murphys wings were clipped,,, he would not have been able to fly out of the house.

Paul any updates?

?? if little Murphys wings were clipped,,, he would not have been able to fly out of the house.

That is not true. My parrot was clipped when I got him and he could move pretty fast and he was clipped short. He used what he had and used it well. Maybe Murphy couldn't have flown out but some other circumstance could have had the same result. Clipping is not a 100% guarantee that you will never lose your bird. It is sad that it has to be said out loud..

The point of this thread is to help the OP find Murphy, and for the members of this forum to offer comfort and support. I have not been here very long, but I do not think this is the time or the place for the to clip or not to clip argument.

Let us all please just try and keep our thoughts on Murphy.

• Haha 1

Paul any updates?

your right carlsjr but morana is just a bit "passionate" about the argument. i hope that we can agree to disagree. if we cant then the argument is getting old already.

• 3 months later...
your right carlsjr but morana is just a bit "passionate" about the argument. i hope that we can agree to disagree. if we cant then the argument is getting old already.

I was just asking a question on how the bird was able to fly with his wings being being clipped. The reason is because i am on the fence on getting my CAG clipped. I love watching her fly round the house but do not want to see her fly out the door.

I was not bringing up or wanting to start a discussion on the clipped/unclipped debate in this thread. :mad::mad: :mad:

Edited by carlsjr

You have a thread where pro/con for clipping is debated and you also have a thread about importance of a bird, especially young bird, having its flight feathers. Also important to know: a clipped bird CAN fly away. Sometimes not very far away but sometimes it is enough for it to get in the harms way.