NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Murphy has escaped!

reggieroo

The JERK has obviously never lost somthing precious to him so he doesnt know what your going through, dont be upset at the fuel or time you lost Reggieroo, be proud of yourself for being able to be there for Murphy at a moments notice, and giving your all for his SAKE. You might take this experience asa test of your will to be there for your bird. I am proud of you, as im sure everyone that regularly checks back here to find out any info on Murphy probably is, that you havent given up hope and I have a feeling that you you two will be reunited once again!!!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that today brings you another true lead, Paul. Murphy, perhaps, has something of a routine for himself now, and possibly even a semi-permanent roost to go with it... I know in this one nonfiction book I read, the macaw had its "very own" tree that it chose, it would sleep there every night, so if Greys are at all the same then maybe Murphy has found a 'summer home' too... you just have to be given enough clues to be able to figure out what vicinity he might be in, and find him in his new neighborhood. I'm sure when he sees you he'll be very happy to say the vacation's over! I just can't wait for your happy reunion, I hope and pray it's soon.

Well MarcusCAG you were right on the nail about another lead today. I had a phone call from a lady that has some builders in, they seen Murphy in the tree at 1.00pm this afternoon in her garden but she didn't get the news till 3.00pm when she called me. Her house backs on to a massive allotment full of fresh fruit & veg growing all ready for the picking, he must have had a feast, then he flew across towards the river out of sight. I went straight down there but he was not about, spent some time in the allotment & trying to find my way to the river bank to call him but I didn't see or hear him.

I did see a bird fight up above but couldn't tell what bird it was being attacked, was a large bird with a big wingspan with two blackbirds or rooks going at it. It was dodging & weaving but they couldn't catch it, I thought it was Murphy but it flew off in the other direction into the tree tops far away & I couldn't figure out how to get to where it was.

He seems to be in a 10-15 mile radius of my location & always on the move so I can't pinpoint his location. It's making it almost impossible to get close to him or even figure out where he might go next. I've just got in now & been out since 4pm but I feel so frustrated that I can't catch up with him. I have mapped the sightings which are on facebook but he could be 15 miles south of the last sighting or north or east or anywhere or even just down the road.

Edited by reggieroo

Im glad hes been sighted and surviving well. If this place was a good source of food, he might be there again, so ask the lady to keep an eye on the surrounding.

I really have high hopes that you will see him soon... keep up the spirit Paul...

Im glad hes been sighted and surviving well. If this place was a good source of food, he might be there again, so ask the lady to keep an eye on the surrounding.

I really have high hopes that you will see him soon... keep up the spirit Paul...

Yes, Paul, this is good news, even if you weren't able to bring him home with you today. I can imagine how frustrated you're feeling right now, but Murphy is out there still and he's keeping well-fed, and now the woman with the fruit trees will probably be very aware of Murphy's presence if he chooses to feast near her home again--and hopefully next time she'll be able to get in touch with you sooner, or somehow keep him around, in time for you two to be reunited.

You're little buddy's alive and well even after all this time "out on the lam"! And you have so many eyes and ears on the lookout for you, your chances are very high that things will work out soon. Thinking of you and your Murphy. :)

Any more sightings? You haven't updated in a while, and I am worried about the poor little thing out there all alone. I really hope you reunite very soon. Good Luck Paul.

Unfortunatly no more sightings. I went to bed last night thinking the same thing that I'm worried for him, I was thinking about how the greys are phobic & although Murphy wasn't to bad he still didn't like new things in his cage. So it got me thinking about all the things he might come across outside in the big wide world & I was trying to picture how me might react to something he hadn't seen before. I wondered if that might be the reason he keeps on the move because stuff is frighting him & he just takes off. I have a horrible feeling he has gone too far now & out of the radius I have covered with posters, word of mouth & press articles etc.

Oh god Paul, I'm so sorry you haven't found him yet:-(((( When I saw your new post, I was hoping today we would get some good news so it brakes my heart that the waiting continues:-( Maybe he is scared of things and takes off but if he stayed in the area this long there is a strong chance that he is still out there but smart about who does he show himself to-maybe he is watchout of the predators.. I'm sure he learned a great deal about caring about himself so far. He had to, so there is a good chance he'll be just fine till you find him:-) Hang in there Paul!:-) and keep us posted

I keep trying to tell myself he is a grey & greys are smart so he won't go to far but if he has got himself lost then he is plain lost. The thing is you are always trying to guess what they are thinking but you will never know, for all I know he has already adjusted to the outside world without me. Not forgotten me but getting on just fine without me, maybe he has found a new flock with a bunch of pigeons although I can't imagine they will be good company. It's the unknown that kills you, is he sad, is he scared or is he happy & free having a good time. There is plenty to eat so I'd imagine by now he has learnt to forage like a wild grey, he may even be enjoying his new diet eating things I couldn't get him to eat. I'm always wondering, thinking where is he, what is he doing, where does he sleep, does he miss me as much as I miss him, is he trying to find his way back home or is he happy to be free?

Edited by reggieroo

You are his companion so he misses you a lot but for now he doesn't have a choice cause he doesn't know how to come back to you so it is, once again, up to you to take matter into your hands and find him. I read a storry, long time ago, in some newspaper how a priest was accused to whistle while ladies walked near the church. It was very funny to discover that a Grey was whistling at women while passing by. The Grey lived in the tower of the church with a bunch of pigeons. So my point is, if he doesn't come home soon, you need to think that he'll be ok, and eventually happy. But we all know he is coming back so there is no need to be thinking abot those kind of things!;-)

I know that there is nothing effective I can tell you that would ease your troubeling mind but if the waiting is killing you, go even further and put some posters up,...basicly, do what you did but further away. You can't give up just yet because Murphy needs you. I know it is hard, but you need to keep it together. I don't think you could live with yourself if you would give up just yet because you know there is still a very good chance he is fighting for his life and his comming back home to you. Talk to us, keep yourself buissy, he will come back Paul! :-)

The same countryside that's hiding Murphy from you is also keeping him alive & fed. So, I guess sometimes you just have to take the good with the bad. Hopefully, he'll establish his territory & work out some kind of a comfortable routine. Then, maybe, he'll start being seen more than once in any given area so you can finally connect.

From all reports, he hasn't gone too far in all this time & that's kind of encouraging. I'm sure he misses you, too.

We know, Paul. I hope that you two are reunited soon... but Murphy's a tough little guy, and smart, and he's surviving on his own, at least, which is more than a lot of poor escaped pets could say. :( You still have that chance of being reunited. And Murphy misses you too, I'm sure of it, like Birdhouse said.

Thinking of you.

Edited by MarcusCAG

I understand what you mean about the not knowing, Paul. Your mind just turns the possibilities over and over, exploring each one repeatedly, and making up new ones all the time. It's like a form of self-torture, but you can't stop.

I know it's hard, but try to stay focused on the positive - he's out there, he's alive, he's fending for himself, he's surviving, lots of people are keeping an eye out for him, and every now and then someone spots him. There's a good chance you'll get him back.

I was talking to a woman here in Canada whose Grey escaped last winter. She was making dinner, and the smoke detector went off and scared the bird, just as her husband arrived home from work. The bird flew out the door. They searched all night, knowing the poor Grey could never survive a whole night outside in the Canadian winter. They found his frozen body the next day, on top of a garage, just nine houses up the street.

I'm telling you this sad story because it highlights some of the things Murphy has going for him - a comfortable climate and bountiful food. Mother Nature is on his side!

zoom, I see your point of the story, but I would never cook with my babies loose in the house. Specially if they can fly. I would be so scared of one landing on a hot stove or a boiling pot. A frozen birdie, gosh that poor thing.

Paul, keep a positive out look, I sure wish you the best with finding your baby. I think I could spend a lot of time watching that persons garden. He probably looks at that as all you can eat buffet. My neighbor has a garden, and everytime I take Prince out, he has to explore the garden, and I got high hopes when I read that story. You have an army rooting and pulling for you. Sending you good mojo here.

Did someone say they like to roost in tall trees near water? I also think he will be back to that lady's garden. Maybe very early in the morning. What if you made a recording of you and your family doing his favorite contact calls and played it over and over. Then you could concentrate on watching and mentally calling him back to you. I'm praying you get him back soon.