NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Meet sterling gris!

Luvparrots

So I went to meet a 4-month-old grey last afternoon yesterday and the breeders were very nice and caring people. The grey I went to see was the last of three from a clutch and the person who had asked for him, at the last could not come up with the cash. So, Gail remembered I had asked to be remembered if a "deal" fell threw and now Sterling Gris is a resident of Moulton's brood.

The name comes from my daughter and grandson. Gabriel is a very studious and observant young man. He did a little research and learned that in the Congo, people there speak French and English. So he looked up the French word for Grey and found it to be Gris (Gree). Not to be outdone by her brilliant son, Donna through in the name Sterling. So as not to show favorites, meet Sterling Gris my new baby:

002-41-1.jpg[/img]

Now Sterling Gris is very active and so apparently has damaged his tail--a lot-- after being clipped! I know but I was not involved in this decision and it will be corrected, henceforth. But the tail will molt and new will evolve so I will be patient. So here is Sterling Gris' tail:

001-45-1.jpg[/img]

Sterling Gris weighs in at 495 grams so I will be keeping an eye on him. He is unsure of his large cage and has fallen much too often, so I have moved him back to the travel cage until he calms down and is more sure of himself.

Sterling Gris steps up nicely and is a cuddle button. So now the hard part begins, making sure Ana Grey does not devour Sterling (who is really much larger than little Ana Grey). but I'll think about that on another day!!!! LOL!!!!

Edited by luvparrots

Sterling Gris is a gooood looking boy so make sure his big sister Ana Grey takes good care of him.

495 grams wow. Corky is only 410 grams and she is 10 1/2 years old. He is going to be a b---i---g boy.

BET YOUR HAPPY.

I am happy Dave, I wish you had said something about your babies, I would have waited for you, if I had known!

Barbara, I looked up the French word for Grey and there were a number of spellings. I chose the one my grandson, gave me.

Ray, Sterling is a big boy, he does weigh in at 495g. He is at least a third more large than Ana Grey and she weighs in at 303g. If I hadn't seen their other babies that they had who were 3 weeks younger and how large they were, I would not have believed his age. His dark eyes are also an indication of his young age and his cute little clucking is heartwarming.

We'll see what the vet says when he goes in for his first visit in a few days.

Tagtastic, shhhhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone!!!!!!! But the answer is no, this is my last parrot unless......... someone gives me a hyacinth macaw, or I find a parrot that rrrrreeeallllyyy rrrreeealllllyyy needs me! LOL!!! I''m afraid my oldest daughter will disown me if I don't have a really good reason to get another. The only way I got away with this one was.... It was a real bargain and it's my 65th birthday, pretty soon!!!! LOL!!!!

Thanks everyone for your comments, I have waited for over a year to find a CAG and finally, I have one. Hooray!!!!!

Now everyone is just being kind, Sterling's tail is a real rat's nest right now. It is a mess, but Sterling is a very cuddly and loving grey with a great and calm personality. That's what drew me to him.

As for Ana Grey, she has hung around his cage but I have not had them out together yet, vet first is the priority. I have been trying something different, no more Ana Grey first because she has been here longest, she is very jealous and very spoiled so I have started putting her back in the bird room when she is nasty. It seems to be putting her in her place. So we will see how that goes.

Edited by luvparrots

Now everyone is just being kind, Sterling's tail is a real rat's nest right now. It is a mess, but Sterling is a very cuddly and loving grey with a great and calm personality. That's what drew me to him.

Like you said, tail feathers will grow back. He looks to be very healthy and lovely otherwise, and a great size!

• Haha 1

Tagtastic, shhhhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone!!!!!!! But the answer is no, this is my last parrot unless......... someone gives me a hyacinth macaw, or I find a parrot that rrrrreeeallllyyy rrrreeealllllyyy needs me! LOL!!! I''m afraid my oldest daughter will disown me if I don't have a really good reason to get another. The only way I got away with this one was.... It was a real bargain and it's my 65th birthday, pretty soon!!!! LOL!!!!

Thanks everyone for your comments, I have waited for over a year to find a CAG and finally, I have one. Hooray!!!!!

Hehehe sorry! You know he is still gorgeous with tattered tail feathers. Lollie came with tattered wing feathers that are looking better every day. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! That is an awesome present!

Janet he is adorable even with a frayed tail and you have a handsome big fella there in Sterling Gris and he is settling in very nicely it seems, well you finally have your Cag, it took a while but things fell into place. I look forward to hearing and seeing a lot more of him in the coming weeks, months and years and maybe he will put Ana Grey in her place finally, just kidding as I hope they eventually get along enough to be no problem.

Sterling Gris is settling in nicely. Although the breeder clipped him, he was allowed to fly and strengthen his wings and learned to get lift before he was lightly clipped. Sterling can go from the couch to a hanging perch for example or across the room and land softly. I am very grateful that he "flies" so well. Ana Grey and Louie both have decided baby Sterling is the "enemy" Both dive bomb him and try to peck at him. However, Sterling is a very independent young 16 week old grey and he "fights" back. I have become a very busy referee and Ana Grey and Louie both spend a lot of time in the bird room with the door closed. I hope they will learn to leave Sterling alone as he has priority because...... He is the baby!!!!!

I was worried when Gail and Tom said that Sterling, although he was fully weaned, still enjoyed an evening snack of formula. I know nothing about weaning babies and I was not a fan of trying. I have watched Sterling closely (in case he really wasn't eating on his own) and to my delight and gratitude he eats heartily!!!! He will not take formula in the AM and only wants it at night. Hooray.

Sterling Gris loves to be in my plants!!!!

017-10-1.jpg

He loves to play and keep busy:

014-5-1.jpg

Sterling Gris is such a big boy and very independent and active. I now know why his tail is such a mess. He is a busy boy!!!!

011-12-1.jpg

So we are back from the avian vet!!!!! Sterling Gris passed with flying colors and the vet and tech are in love with him. His new vet asked if I was sure he was only 4 months today. I said yes. She said if she didn't know that she would have said he as at least a couple of months older. So it is confirmed. Sterling Gris is a big and healthy guy. The micro-chipping went well with no problems. If you remember, when Ana Grey was chipped I refused to let them sedate her. It is now proper form that there is no longer sedating done for micro-chipping! Hooray.