NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can a grey be color blind?

JDS5607

I had a lady tell me at the petstore that she doesn't buy toys with colors on them because her grey is color blind. I laughed at the thought, but it got me wondering... some people are colorblind, so can some grey's be colorblind?

All parrots can see color. Their range of vision goes into the infrared part of the spectrum, which means their vision is better than humans.They need color vision to see which fruits are ripe, and good to eat and which are not.

It is well known that birds have better eyes sight than most creatures, the parrots see a wide variety of color including some we as humans can not see.

There's a good chance that your bird may not like any colored toys so the best thing to do is give toys that are bland, beige and look like wood. Wood is a favorite chew item for greys.

Many greys and other species don't like colored items. It's not uncommon.

Edited by Dave007

Dave, I see your point and from what I've read about Grey's, I agree. But... could it be possible that this Grey is colorblind? Or any Grey for that matter. Very small percentage I'm sure, but when I think about it, sure parrots need that infrared vision that you speak of in the wild, and sure, any parrot born without it would most surely die in the wild, but our feathered friends that we keep are hand raised and therefore don't need this ability to search for food as we provide it all for them. I would think that there is the slight possibility that this could happen.

Living in the wild or hand raised pet bird, it doesn't matter. They're not color blind. The only parrots that are color blind are dead ones.

Just because the bird is a pet and doesn't have contact with the outside world, that would never affect or influence a bird's sight as far as color.

Birds can be totally blind but that's usually an external deformity or an external injury.

No, what I meant was that in the wild, if a parrot was born with this problem, it would obviously probably die due to not being able to find the proper food. For example, if a "pet" parrot was born colorblind, it would survive because we humans are doing the job of feeding it, caring for it, etc.

Let me put it this way---I've never seen a color blind parrot. I've never heard of a parrot being born this way. BUT, if there was such a thing as a *pet parrot* being normally color blind as we know color blindness to be, that parrot wouldn't have the ability to move around a house freely. It would fly into things it couldn't distinguish, it wouldn't eat many foods that are given, it wouldn't play with many different colored toys. IF a parrot was actually color blind, it would be in the area of the blue and red spectrum that people don't have. Therefore, if that area was affected the bird would still be able to see all the things that exist in a house and even many parts of the outdoors.

The only problem that parrots and other birds have sight wise is with clear glass in a home. Clear glass has had all rays of the sun taken out when manufactured so a bird can't see something that isn't there anymore.

You're Welcome. I'm glad that you're relieved about color blindness. It can be a problem for people though. I feel bad for people who have to put up with that situation. I guess I'm lucky.

Edited by Dave007

I have a 3 year old granddaughter that we believe is color blind. She knows all of her colors but mixes up red and green very regularly. Her paternal grandmother is color blind.

Considering that this granddaughter was born 12 weeks early and only weighed 2 lbs. 7 ouces, we consider it lucky that this is her only "handicap".

Thanks everyone!

This lady seemed a little odd, but... I thought it would be worth asking :)

Oh- and Barbara, The female gender cannot be colorblind, only males can :) So, luckily, your grand daughter is probably just like most three year olds, having a little trouble connecting labels to colors. My niece would do that with numbers. She knew the numbers, but would say a 1 was a four, or something similar :) She got it though! Lol Best of luck to your Granddaughter! <3