NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is basmati coocked rice good for African Greys?

AGPT

Middle eastern rice is boiled first and then is cooked untill it really soft. I was wondering that if i could feed my parrot that kind of rice? Does any one know if its okay to feed him that?

Not the yellow ones , only white ones.

chelo.jpg

Side_-_Maast_o_Khiaar.jpg

Almost all rice that people eat is boiled before eaten no matter what country it is. Giving rice is fine as long as you don't make a daily habit of it. Maybe 2x a week in small amounts. The food that's given to a parrot should consist of the standard veggies, some fruit once in a while, some human type foods such as pastas once in a while and some parrot mix. Putting lots of butter on the rice isn't a good idea. I don't know what that yellow stuff is on the rice. I don't know what that stuff is in the lower picture but if the rice is well cooked and the kernals of the rice can still be seen like in the above picture, it's fine. The rice shouldn't be mushy like a paste. A small amount of spagetti sauce can be put on the rice. Rice that's very salty is no good. White or yellow rice is ok.

I don't know what *basmati * means but any rice you give should be plain.

If you find that the rice you're talking about has additives, then don't feed it.

Edited by Dave007