NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Male or Female Grey Help

monipinkrose

Hi everybody I need help! I have a 10 month old african grey male and i want to get another one for it. I don't plan on breeding them but which gender will he get along with as a companion and temper wise. I will keep them in separate cages of course. I'm worried down the road like 10,20,30 years from now will you think 2 males are better or male and female. If I get a male and female will they scream for mating and their hormones go haywire as they age or 2 males fighting for dominance with their screams. So please help me as soon as possible. Thank you very much

I've been thinking the same recently. I want a male. But I also wanna try and get a bird that has chosen me (regardless of the gender). However I worry about egg binding. I'm gonna have just one for now, but God knows about the future. I might get another one. Can I ask something quite stupid? Do female parrots by any chance lay eggs without having contact with a male? haha Even though it happens with chickens, I don't believe it's the same with parrots. I had 2 parrots and it never happened. Even though I truly believe one of them was female, I don't know for sure. I never had it tested. So decided to ask anyway. Sorry if I'm being silly. lol

Edited by Popsicle

Females can lay eggs without being with a male but I don't think it is very common. There have been members here that have reported seeing an egg in the cage with their solitary female. The egg binding is even less common than egg laying. I think some breeds are more prone to that and the greys are not in that category.

This is an interesting question to bird keeping. I certainally look forward to more answers of the OP's question. Moreover, would some of you multiple bird owners say there is a preference to keeping many birds that are different types? Do y'all just mix it up or have a plan for the sex of your birds to your respective flocks?

You don't purchase another bird for the one you have, in my opinion. You purchase it because you want one.

There is no guarantee that the two would ever like each other period. Also, just because you get a male and a female, does not mean they will become a pair and mate for life, as they do in the wild.

Males do not fight for dominance. There is no alpha structure in a flock. The only time they "Correct" each other is if one gets out of line by perhaps encroaching upon their space, mate or baby.

We have a number of birds of different types. They are all female, except our CAG and one of the blue crowned conures. We have had egg-laying problems with only one of them: a lovebird. Parrots will definitely lay eggs without a male present. But some species are much more prone to this, like lovebirds and cockatiels.

Some of the birds are friends with some of the other birds. Some of them want nothing to do with each other. Whether or not they get along seems to have nothing to do with whether they are the same species or not.

I would not get another bird with the idea that it will keep your bird company. Your bird will be perfectly happy with you as his friend. He just thinks you are a big, ugly bird with a built-in tree. He may or may not get along with another bird you might get, and the new bird would just be competition for your attention.

He just thinks you are a big, ugly bird with a built-in tree.

I was wondering what Lollie thinks about me, thanks for clearing it up!:D:D:D

I actually think Lollie would be mad if I got another bird. She doesn't like it when the dog/kids or husband vie for my attention, I am sure she would not like another bird doing the same! Maybe that will keep MBS out of my house, who knows!